Terrel Bernard was absolutely abused yesterday

TwistofFate

19 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Do you have any plays on video for an example of him being "abused"? I went back and watched the game over again along with jets highlights(if he's giving up big plays it would be on there) and don't see these plays. He had ups and downs as every rookie does but nothing close to "abused". Joe "I didn't watch the tape" Marino couldn't give plays either. 

Marino did not say he couldn’t name specific plays.

For sake of time he summarized. 

If he has time to (he’s a full-time college scout at the Draft Network as well of course), and he thinks its important enough to do a play by play breakdown of Bernard, then likely he would.

I’m more interested in why he got the start over Dodson.

Does anyone know if the coaching staff explained that decision?

9 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

Marino did not say he couldn’t name specific plays.

For sake of time he summarized. 

If he has time to (he’s a full-time college scout at the Draft Network as well of course), and he thinks its important enough to do a play by play breakdown of Bernard, then likely he would.

I’m more interested in why he got the start over Dodson.

Does anyone know if the coaching staff explained that decision?

Dodson sucks too so they probably wanted to see what the rookie could do. Neither of them are good linebackers. They should have kept Klein and that is not revisionist history. I said it at the time he was not brought back. Instead they have useless Matakevich taking up a roster spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

There was a play that Bernard made just before the end of the half (I caught this rewatching the game for The Saffold Report).  1st and 10 for NJ at the BUF 16, Wilson swing pass to Carter, Bernard sniffs it out, NJ 60 is pulling, and as Bernard zeroes in on Carter, 60 pushes him in the back AND trips him and Bernard goes flying.  This was not away from the play, it was at the point of attack.  And the line judge is standing 5 yards away and says "play on".  The 15-yard tripping would have been huge there, or the 10 yard block in the back.  Instead, 1st and goal for NJ at the BUF 6. 

On the next play where Carter runs it in for the TD, 70 for NJ just grabs DaQuan Jones and throws him to the ground.  Again, not away from the play, but at the point of attack.  They showed two other angles, and it looked worse with each one.   70 just grabbed 92 all the way across his body and under his arm and just tackled him.

The refs in this game were incompetent, these were just two examples.  

On 11/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, TwistofFate said:

Finally got a chance to review the game from yesterday with a clear head and the most blatant problem on defense was Bernard.  He was attacked and abused by the Jets all day long in both the passing game and run game.

He was frequently out of position, over running plays, losing containment and outright missing tackles.  I understand he is a rookie, but my god. 

Milano is our best backer by far, pray he's back soon.

It's still early but this looks like a terrible pick,  undersized high motor guys usually fail.  

On 11/8/2022 at 11:55 AM, ArtVandalay said:

Bernard was a horrendous draft pick.  218 pound line backer with middling speed. 

Before anyone mentions Milano, he was 223 and drafted in the 5th round..  not in the THIRD round. 

Just as bad as the Zach Moss pick. Horrendous from day 1.

I'll hold out hope but highly doubtful in him. 

? Bernard is bigger and faster than Milano was? And if memory serves me right (I'm old, so I could be wrong) Beane was trying to trade back but couldn't find a partner to do so... I wasn't excited by the pick at the time either, but,it is what it is.

Moss, totally agree with. Not even close to what I was hoping he would be.

ED6768C9-DC53-449C-84CA-7D59A3118E35.thumb.png.56475641d019294ea91aba344074b3f5.png.4ad1b891f376dfa45635d06264064d35.png

• Disagree 1

On 11/7/2022 at 4:59 PM, whorlnut said:

My problem with Bernard is if they decide to keep edmunds. Milano is under contract. Where does Bernard fit in?  A third round pick should be a starter. 

In a fact based world, the bolded part above is simply wrong. 

image.thumb.png.ed40107a48666f06224e823a0e7d25dd.png

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He looks like a safety, small, getting pushed around. 

Agree…gotta wonder if he will be moved to safety next season to replace poyer?  We all thought he was gonna replace edmunds but maybe it will poyer once it’s said and done. 

6 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

? Bernard is bigger and faster than Milano was? And if memory serves me right (I'm old, so I could be wrong) Beane was trying to trade back but couldn't find a partner to do so... I wasn't excited by the pick at the time either, but,it is what it is.

Moss, totally agree with. Not even close to what I was hoping he would be.

ED6768C9-DC53-449C-84CA-7D59A3118E35.thumb.png.56475641d019294ea91aba344074b3f5.png.4ad1b891f376dfa45635d06264064d35.png

Bernard was 218 at the combine. And same speed as Milano 4.64 v 4.67 40, they are both middling speed for a LB, Bernard has a much worse speed score though because it takes into account relative size. Speed is far far from elite, it's 68th percentile at LB 

Milano was 223 and drafted 5th round not the 3rd. Huge difference in investment especially relative to what's available in those rounds. 

Has there ever been a LB drafted in the 200-teens that build up and panned out? It has to be exceedingly rate if so. 

Crap pick with where he was taken, especially because everyone viewed him as a later 5th rounder just like moss and Singletary and we reach bad for these guys that lack NFL size or athleticism. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

30 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Bernard was 218 at the combine. And same speed as Milano 4.64 v 4.67 40, they are both middling speed for a LB, Bernard has a much worse speed score though because it takes into account relative size. Speed is far far from elite, it's 68th percentile at LB 

Milano was 223 and drafted 5th round not the 3rd. Huge difference in investment especially relative to what's available in those rounds. 

Has there ever been a LB drafted in the 200-teens that build up and panned out? It has to be exceedingly rate if so. 

Crap pick with where he was taken, especially because everyone viewed him as a later 5th rounder just like moss and Singletary and we reach bad for these guys that lack NFL size or athleticism. 

Not sure I can entirely agree, but won't agressivly argue about it either. I looked at the RAS scores for each. Bernard shows considerably better as compared to Milano. I do agree about where he was drafted, but as I previously stated, we tried to trade back. I'd reserve a little judgment as it relates to Bernard at least until he gets a year or two with an NFL S&C coach and see what he looks like next year.

I also saw this write up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2022/04/bills-terrel-bernard-a-tackling-machine-had-sugar-bowl-performance-for-the-ages-4-things-to-know.html%3foutputType=amp

download.png.c304bc11d83fc62605fa616948c91e93.png

I agree on giving the player more time.

Beane said Buffalo doesn’t use RAS.

His missed tackle % in college was 15%. 

They won’t admit it of course, but I believe this was a McD pick through and through, because he liked what he heard from his buddy the Baylor coach.

The priority since JA day 1 should have been to protect Josh, like KC has made it for PM.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.