Terrel Bernard was absolutely abused yesterday

TwistofFate

19 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Finally got a chance to review the game from yesterday with a clear head and the most blatant problem on defense was Bernard.  He was attacked and abused by the Jets all day long in both the passing game and run game.

He was frequently out of position, over running plays, losing containment and outright missing tackles.  I understand he is a rookie, but my god. 

Milano is our best backer by far, pray he's back soon.

So, you're saying that Bernard played like the rest of the team Sunday (except Diggs) The game reminded me of the Jacksonville debacle last year, where the team appeared to sleep walk through the game and the coaching staff couldn't wake them up.

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

So, you're saying that Bernard played like the rest of the team Sunday (except Diggs) The game reminded me of the Jacksonville debacle last year, where the team appeared to sleep walk through the game and the coaching staff couldn't wake them up.

It was the same weekend too (Nov 7th), and the same 2nd game after the Bye week. Almost a mirror image from last year where we came out of the bye flat, managed to survive the first game by dominating a lesser team, then laid an Offensive egg the next.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know it's taboo here to discuss, but I've said all along that Beane's drafts have not been that great overall especially if you take JA17 out of the equation.

And while it's still a bit early to judge this year's batch, it's been a bit underwhelming other than Benford being a revelation as a late round pick.

• Eyeroll 1

He needs more time to bake. 

There are a lot of nuances to Milano's game and a lot of it comes from making the appropriate reads very quickly and not a lot of delay reacting.

Milano is able to beat blockers to the point of attack for this very reason. He ain't running blockers over to get to the right spots.

The book on Bernard is that he is a very instinctual player with good football IQ, BUT asking him year 1 to step into that kind role on this defense is too tall an order.

50 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Coaches are being overly conservative with injuries. We can’t lose anymore games because of playing “safe”. 

How can you or any fan for that matter conclude this? We simply do not have the access to the players that the coaches and team medical staff have. Who should’ve been out there this year that wasn’t? Tre? 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Where has Shakir been since?  Imo he needs to take over the slot or at least be more involved, but the coaches are hiding him for some reason. 

Love Shakir, but Sunday was not McKenzie's fault, IMHO.  Knox, McKenzie & Cook open short A LOT, Josh insisted on looking long.  He will get that fixed.

40 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Love Shakir, but Sunday was not McKenzie's fault, IMHO.  Knox, McKenzie & Cook open short A LOT, Josh insisted on looking long.  He will get that fixed.

I don’t see how anyone can pass McKenzie off as a viable nfl starter, but Whatever I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, whorlnut said:

My problem with Bernard is if they decide to keep edmunds. Milano is under contract. Where does Bernard fit in?  A third round pick should be a starter. 

Move Milano to the middle and hopefully Bernard can grow into a WLB. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

Coaches are being overly conservative with injuries. We can’t lose anymore games because of playing “safe”. 

We play safe to avoid making big mistakes that make the game unreachable. Belichick did this countless times in the Brady era as more than not his QB came through when things matter.  Josh has had his ups and downs thus far but still feel he's as clutch as you could ask. The truth is the defense has kept all the games we've lost to be within 1 score. If our kicker doesn't shank a field goal the game goes into OT. In fact Bass also missed a game that would have tied the Dolphins too, now I'm not blaming it all on him since it takes a team to win or lose but it's an interesting thing to remember. 

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

They weren't the ONLY problem, but when a defense allows 174 yds rushing including 13 play 5:58 TD , 14 play 8:39  (fumble) and 13 play 6:10 drives (FG to take the lead) in the 2nd half, they are A problem in the game.

No. They really weren't. The offense was the problem. 

The defense allowed 20 points. And seven of those 20 points came on a drive where the Jets got the ball on the Buffalo 19 yard line. How, you ask, did the Jets get the Ball on the Buffalo 19 yard line? Well, someone on the offense air-mailed the ball to Sauce Gardner at the Buffalo 35 and Gardner wasn't really near enough to anyone in a blue uniform when he caught the ball that anyone could get to him before he got to the 19.

There was one main problem. That was the offense that only scored 17 points. You'll win very few games scoring 17 points and then on top of that giving the other team the ball at your 19 yard line on a horrible INT. Ask Josh Allen if that was true, he'll tell you. In fact, you don't need to ask, he already has told you. He knows that's true, and so should everyone else.

Was the defense perfect? Hell, no. But they were good. 

The offense was not.

Scoring 17 yourself, on top of handing your opponent the ball on your 19 yard line? That's a horrendous game by the offense.

This was on them. Allen knows it. So should you, and everyone.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No. They really weren't. The offense was the problem. 

The defense allowed 20 points. And seven of those 20 points came on a drive where the Jets got the ball on the Buffalo 19 yard line. How, you ask, did the Jets get the Ball on the Buffalo 19 yard line? Well, someone on the offense air-mailed the ball to Sauce Gardner at the Buffalo 35 and Gardner wasn't really near enough to anyone in a blue uniform when he caught the ball that anyone could get to him before he got to the 19.

There was one main problem. That was the offense that only scored 17 points. You'll win very few games scoring 17 points and then on top of that giving the other team the ball at your 19 yard line on a horrible INT. Ask Josh Allen if that was true, he'll tell you. In fact, you don't need to ask, he already has told you. He knows that's true, and so should everyone else.

Was the defense perfect? Hell, no. But they were good. 

The offense was not.

Scoring 17 yourself, on top of handing your opponent the ball on your 19 yard line? That's a horrendous game by the offense.

This was on them. Allen knows it. So should you, and everyone.

Exactly. The lack of overall talent on offense is starting to show up. Allen and Diggs are our entire offense. We need to upgrade most of the other positions. 

40 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No. They really weren't. The offense was the problem

OK, we'll have to "agree to disagree" then.  I said the defense was "A" problem, and I stand by that.

Obviously, if we want to choose 1-2 plays that swung the game, Allen's two horrible INTs would be those plays, but we have had 5 games with 2 or more offensive turnovers, and won 4 of them.  Part of the reason for that is in most of those games, the defense kept handing the ball back to our offense until we built up a lead, instead of letting the opponents grind down the field and burn clock.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Beck Water

On 11/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, SectionC3 said:

The Araiza situation nearly submarined the season.

New to the sport?

On 11/7/2022 at 2:17 PM, HOUSE said:

Enter Baylon Spector

You're often facetious so I'm not taking this seriously but anyone who understands football and watched Spector this preseason could only have been impressed.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, 34-78-83 said:

Bernard’s ceiling is Klein ( the slightly younger version). I can’t see him starting full time unless he really develops

It's weird that you would compare two players who couldn't be more stylistically different than each other.

17 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was the same weekend too (Nov 7th), and the same 2nd game after the Bye week. Almost a mirror image from last year where we came out of the bye flat, managed to survive the first game by dominating a lesser team, then laid an Offensive egg the next.

Is it coming out of the bye flat? Or is it coming out flat after beating KC?

5-1 after beating KC last year,  3-5 the next 8 games... this year we were 5-1 after beating KC...

I think the team got overly emotional for KC and had checked out. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

At the 18min18sec mark Joe Marino, who scouted Bernard at Baylor, discusses him…

“the other guy (he had been discussing Jaquan Johnson) that struggled

mightily was Terrell Bernard and I would

love to watch the tape before I really go in

on him, but man did he look like he

was lost out there and you could just tell by

alignment every play was like he was talking

to Tremaine trying to figure out where to

line up he was out of position multiple

times he was slow to process he couldn't

get through traffic, his impact was was very poor

in this ball game you could tell Matt Milano wasn't

out there and this is the guy you drafted in the

third round for these types of moments right, 

to be able to mitigate the loss to

an extent with Matt Milano and I know it's

his first start and the book's not written on Terrell Bernard, but he looked a lot like the player I didn't love at Baylor I'm not gonna lie. Bernard's best moments have always been when he's a gap shooter

and when you got to get him thinking and processing it ain't always there, and I felt that way watching him in

preseason and I surely felt that way watching this

game against the Jets and I hate that I'm sitting here

reflecting on this loss and going in on a couple of backups, but they struggled…they struggled…it

cost the team.”

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Because Nolan probably actually watched the tape and didn't glance at a stat sheet.  Bernard was abused.

Do you have any plays on video for an example of him being "abused"? I went back and watched the game over again along with jets highlights(if he's giving up big plays it would be on there) and don't see these plays. He had ups and downs as every rookie does but nothing close to "abused". Joe "I didn't watch the tape" Marino couldn't give plays either. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.