Terrel Bernard was absolutely abused yesterday

TwistofFate

Finally got a chance to review the game from yesterday with a clear head and the most blatant problem on defense was Bernard.  He was attacked and abused by the Jets all day long in both the passing game and run game.

He was frequently out of position, over running plays, losing containment and outright missing tackles.  I understand he is a rookie, but my god. 

Milano is our best backer by far, pray he's back soon.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

Just now, whorlnut said:

I agree. But I’m not gonna get into that cause certain posters on this board criticize any posts that talk about what could have been picked instead. 

It's more that you hate every draft pick after one game. 

As for Bernard, I don't really care about a third-round rookie's first game. I will choose to evaluate after the season and more experience. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

The 2022 draft has not had good early returns.

I mean...

Other than the two cornerbacks who have been more than holding their own on the league's number one scoring defense and the fifth round receiver who posted 3 catches for 75 yards and a touchdown in week five and capably returned punts for the first half of the season...

Sure. Not good.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, Roundybout said:

It's more that you hate every draft pick after one game. 

As for Bernard, I don't really care about a third-round rookie's first game. I will choose to evaluate after the season and more experience. 

No…ask anyone…I was opposed to a first round corner just cause we needed one. And I wanted IOL to learn behind Saffold. McD is a master at developing DBs and I didn’t think we needed one in the first when their were other perceived needs on the roster. But…yeah Bernard didn’t play well, but you’re right he’s a rookie. Let’s see what he does going forward. 

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think Cook is starting to look pretty good and it shows with where they are putting him in during game situations. Also, hoping Shakir figures things out pretty quick here, as he's shown a lot of good signs. Elam, having faced lots of #1's has been up and down (couple excellent picks and some tight coverage plus giving up a ton of underneath outs) but his athletic ability and apparent work ethic looks like he'll get there eventually. Benford has played solid yet unspectacular so far. Bernard? ehhh. we'll see!

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I mean...

Other than the two cornerbacks who have been more than holding their own on the league's number one scoring defense and the fifth round receiver who posted 3 catches for 75 yards and a touchdown in week five and capably returned punts for the first half of the season...

Sure. Not good.

Where has Shakir been since?  Imo he needs to take over the slot or at least be more involved, but the coaches are hiding him for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m OK with Elam and Benford is a revelation.  But, otherwise I agree with you.  Cook and Bernard are useless.  The Araiza situation nearly submarined the season.  Shakir has promise, but . . . It doesn’t translate to the field yet.  Spector is a JAG, and Tenuta wasn’t even a JAG.  

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

We knew Bernard was going to be the long game. Time will tell.

Elam looks like a young stud in the making along either Benford looking like another Dane Jackson. 

The next tier is Cook and Shakir. Cook has it, and we knew he'd come along slow, he's on verge of a breakout week.

Shakir passes the early eyeball test, and his playing time is ramping up as well. 

I don't know what more the the draft class is able to show on a super bowl favorite by week 9. The two that have started have shown a lot, we have 2 more that have barely played and have looked like exactly what you'd expect... a rookie... there's a spark at times, and rookie mistakes you expect at other times.

If someone expected big early returns from this draft class, that's their mistake. Nobody should have thought the start of their season would look any different.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Finally got a chance to review the game from yesterday with a clear head and the most blatant problem on defense was Bernard.  He was attacked and abused by the Jets all day long in both the passing game and run game.

He was frequently out of position, over running plays, losing containment and outright missing tackles.  I understand he is a rookie, but my god. 

Milano is our best backer by far, pray he's back soon.

Jeez he sounds like the Malik Willis of linebackers.  If that’s the case i’d expect the Bills to shore up that position this week.

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m OK with Elam and Benford is a revelation.  But, otherwise I agree with you.  Cook and Bernard are useless.  The Araiza situation nearly submarined the season.  Shakir has promise, but . . . It doesn’t translate to the field yet.  Spector is a JAG, and Tenuta wasn’t even a JAG.  

"Cook is useless." Watch the games and not the stat sheet. If you can't see what he brings to the table, and what his skillset can and will do for this offense, you can't be helped. Crazy.

I can get on board with the 'we should've drafted x' to an extent. But to write off 2 rookies as worthless is stupid. Which 2nd and 3rd rounders from the bottom of the draft order are making big contributions to their team?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.