Colts name former Center and current ESPN analyst Jeff Saturday interim HC… wait, what?

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yeah imagine if you hired Marv Levy mid season. That would never work

In skeptical about this move, and it could fail spectacularly but who knows? Maybe it works out. It’s better than mailing it in with Gus Bradley who has already failed as a HC. Maybe you learn something and maybe he brings a unique perspective to the organization

Levy already had extensive experience as a coach and as a HC in the CFL.  

But at least Saturday has a long participation in football.  That makes him a less crazy choice than Herschel Walker or Mehmet Oz or Kari Lake running for the Senate.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Has there ever been a HC that hasn't coached higher than HS?

Yes, actually.  Norm Van Brocklin was an excellent QB who retired in 1960 and immediately became the HC of the expansion Minnesota Vikings.  He lasted six years, compiling a record of 29-51-4.

Irsay might be tanking, but there at least half a dozen teams with worse records than the Colts.  Some of them are already so incompetent that they might not win another game, snatching the coveted first overall pick out of the Colts' hands.  

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

1. Ted Lasso is a fictional character

2.  Ted Lasso's character WAS a previous coach of college (American) football, so he at least is familiar with the duties of being a HC.

TeD lAsSo IsN't ReAL?! OmG!!!1

Saturday is a coach for high school. So he's familiar with coaching, btw. 

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Why not have Mark Schlereth replace Hackett in Denver too.

I'll see this and suggest we fire McDermott for Corbin Lacina to take over as HC. Offensive coordinator: Darrick Holmes. DC: Corey Moore. ST: Mark Pike

Not real sure where or why this has come to be but Irsay has done some goofy things before ! I've heard maybe he is banking on tanking to get a high draft choice because next year is suppose to be a good year for QB's coming out in the draft .

Not sure exactly what he's happened to their O line last season they were one of the best in the league at protecting their QB but this year they look like a sieve when it comes to protecting the QB have they lost players on the O line to men them that bad this year ? 

Lot of vitriol directed at the goofy owner, but GM Chris Ballard is on the hook for this as well if not more.    

Teams that try reclamation or declining veteran options at QB typically aren't successful, especially when their OL is hot garbage.  

That said, there aren't many career-minded coaches in (or out of) the NFL who would take an interim HC gig, the losses which will inevitably follow and put it on their resume.    

Apologies if I missed this, but one of the more entertaining Pat McAfee shows I've seen, with Pat breaking down Irsay's presser.

"What is Jim Ir-SAYing?"

McAfee, btw, claims to know Irsay personally and reasonably well - said that after he had his legal trouble, Irsay seemed to feel he should get to know him and would come down to watch practice and converse with him for some time.

Edited by Beck Water

But it is okay because Saturday prayed on it before saying yes. Did god (or whichever other finctional character he was speaking to) answer? If he did, that means that the new Colts Interim HC hears voices and if he didn't, why did Saturday take the job?

I have no doubt that he can give a motivational speech (I have more doubts about whether those listening to him are going to be any better at their jobs becuase of it) but I can't help feeling that being a HC might just take a little mroe than that. 

15 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Call me nuts but I have no problem with this - new blood. How many times will Nathaniel Hackett be recycled within the league? How many chances did Doug Marrone get? Saturday cant be any worse. 

As for a grammatically proper response justifying Saturday, "you're nuts!"

As for a snarky reply to the Saturday suggestion, "your nuts!" 🤨

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, LabattBlue said:

Why would Saturday even consider taking the job…even on an interim basis?

Is this asked in jest?

Anyway--I, too, have prayed on this and I have been told by the Man Above "eh,  why not?  Can't be worse than the last crew."

Saturday will let his coordinators handle play calling. He’ll do nothing more than make situational decisions and maybe bring a different outlook to preparations.

He won’t be reinventing the wheel so I don’t think you’ll see too much of a different Colts team one way or another. Maybe playing with a little more fire but that’s about it.

25 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Call me nuts but I have no problem with this - new blood. How many times will Nathaniel Hackett be recycled within the league? How many chances did Doug Marrone get? Saturday cant be any worse. 

Right. The NFL seems to constantly recycle the same old names. Some of that is justified, some of it prevents new blood from entering the coaching field. 

I wonder if this lawsuit by Flores is going to change the landscape, if it ever gets settled. If it does, watch Tomlin step down & Flores get the Steelers job (for starters).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.