Coaching Staff has to take a huge blame for yesterday

BillyBilliams

Yes, Josh Allen played a clunker.  However, my frustration lies on the coaching staff.  I simply have 2 questions that I'd like for them to answer.  

1.  This team has just signed TE Dawson Knox to a 4yr $52M, $20M gtd deal with the thought that he will be an important asset to the passing game. He's a big body that can create mismatches.  He's not a Kelce or a Kittle by no means, but he could play those kind of roles.  If the O-Line is having problems pass blocking, why isn't Knox being used as a safety valve?  Is it scheme?  Is it him not getting separation?  Is it trust?  20 receptions for 183 isn't going to get it done (I'm actually SHOCKED he has 20 catches.  It feels like he maybe has 10).  

2.  If the Buffalo Bills were playing the Kansas City Chiefs yesterday, would Jordan Poyer or Matt Milano be playing?  If the answer is yes, then why were they sat out for this game?  Personally, I'm not really worried about the NFC games.   You can lose those and be fine.  However, to sit out most of your important players on defense so they can rest up and "play the long game" can be done against the Vikings, not the Jets or any team in the AFC, and especially the AFCE.  I only say that because Bulldog on WGR550 said he understands them playing the long game and long term health of the team.  The AFC is turning into the logjam that we thought.  It's just with different teams.  Instead of the Raiders, it's the Jets.  Instead of the Broncos, it's the Patriots.  I can see them doing playing the long game with NFC teams, but if they are even at 75%, you have to let them play AFC and divisional opponents.  Poyer even said himself on his Podcast that he'll be ok.  If they play in the game and you can clearly see there is an issue, there is no shame sitting them out and putting Bernard and Johnson in.  But you HAVE to let these guys play if they can.  If they can't, that's another story.  These tiebreakers that we consistently lose has literally cost this team a Super Bowl.

I'm not a "sky is falling" state right now.  They still control their own destiny.  They win out, it doesn't matter what KC, Miami, Jets does, because Buffalo would still be the 1 seed.  The offense has played bad for 6 quarters now.  If they win that game, we are feeling the exact same way as Chiefs fans are feeling right now.....offense played a clunker, but they got out with a win, and it's hard to win in the league.  However, something needs to be done, and the coaching staff needs to figure it out.  Davis and Knox MUST find a way into this passing game.  They NEED to scheme extension of the run plays (jet sweeps, etc).  Cook has looked good.  We need to see more of him.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Also, Jets got to Allen consistently with four-man rush.  Drop seven guys in coverage and not lots of space to get open, especially when Allen was being rushed.

And that's where the coaching staff needs to recognize that and implement quick screens, or quick passes for Knox to make plays.  We don't have the luxury to not use a player like Knox.  He HAS to play better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

And that's where the coaching staff needs to recognize that and implement quick screens, or quick passes for Knox to make plays.  We don't have the luxury to not use a player like Knox.  He HAS to play better.

If Josh plays better, we win. Simple as that. It's amazing the lack of criticism he received for the game. Somehow the defense and Edmunds was to blame to some here. I watched the game again and neither int by Josh was great defense, it was Josh.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If Josh plays better, we win. Simple as that. It's amazing the lack of criticism he received for the game. Somehow the defense and Edmunds was to blame to some here. I watched the game again and neither int by Josh was great defense, it was Josh.

For sure, Josh Allen's mistakes cost the team the game.  However, not recognizing that Josh was under duress the entire game and not going for short routes, instead opting for intermediate and deep routes (which were taken away) is something the coaching staff should have seen and adjusted to.  It blows my mind that we lose when Josh plays bad.  If we have the most complete roster, they should be able to win games when Allen isn't himself.  

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

The Jets played and coached like it was their Super Bowl, that’s why we lost

Every team in the league should automatically assume that level of commitment from the opponent every single week.

If we didn't, that's a problem. 

If we did, we failed to live up to the challenge.

Your comment there is a totally lame excuse, and doesn't fly!

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

For sure, Josh Allen's mistakes cost the team the game.  However, not recognizing that Josh was under duress the entire game and not going for short routes, instead opting for intermediate and deep routes (which were taken away) is something the coaching staff should have seen and adjusted to.  It blows my mind that we lose when Josh plays bad.  If we have the most complete roster, they should be able to win games when Allen isn't himself.  

I don't think that there is a single position group, player, or coach, who will look at yesterday's game and think to themselves, "Hell man, not MY fault!!!" I can't think of a single player who turned up to their full potential. Humbling.

Just now, pocoboy said:

I don't think that there is a single position group, player, or coach, who will look at yesterday's game and think to themselves, "Hell man, not MY fault!!!" I can't think of a single player who turned up to their full potential. Humbling.

It blows my mind how dominating Diggs was in the first half only to be a ghost in the 2nd half.  That's nuts.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

The Jets played and coached like it was their Super Bowl, that’s why we lost

Did you see Saleh jumping up and down after the game like he's going to Disneyland. Listen these coaches failed Josh by not improving the OL / run game 3 years ago. After Dion we have squat. Cowherd this morning is right. We're still an amazing team but we have no nuance. It's either chuck it deep or nothing. It's either knockout or nothing. The Bills staff is incredibly stubborn. Even when they know to move out of the nickel some, they don't. Even when they know improving the OL will help diversify the team, they don't. Remember how long it took them to realize Peterman sucked. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Also, Jets got to Allen consistently with four-man rush.  Drop seven guys in coverage and not lots of space to get open, especially when Allen was being rushed.

And people will blame the OL, not realizing that most OL's going up against a good Front 4 will struggle when every play is drop back and wait for long developing routes to be run.  

Dorsey needs to take some of the freedom away from Allen if he can't trust Allen to take checkdowns as part of the long game.   Send in plays where the first read is a shallow route or throw to the flat from time to time.  Don't make him think... just dial it up and keep dialing them up until the defense adjusts.  Allen has the strongest arm, maybe ever, doesn't matter when teams are dropping 7 and the DL can pin their ears back and rush. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Did you see Saleh jumping up and down after the game like he's going to Disneyland. Listen these coaches failed Josh by not improving the OL / run game 3 years ago. After Dion we have squat. Cowherd this morning is right. We're still an amazing team but we have no nuance. It's either chuck it deep or nothing. It's either knockout or nothing. The Bills staff is incredibly stubborn. Even when they know to move out of the nickel some, they don't. Even when they know improving the OL will help diversify the team, they don't. Remember how long it took them to realize Peterman sucked. 

I don’t disagree. The crappy effort at building a nasty line has caught up with them. This is what happens when you build a line with late rounders and short term deals. I really like Morse and Dawkins, but everyone else can be upgraded. The jury is out on Brown. He has all the athleticism in the world but he misses a ton of games. 

This regime needs to go offense heavy this off-season. We have built a good to great defense and now it’s time to do right by Allen and get him some more help. Thinking a guy like McKenzie would do well in an increased role in replacing Beasley was a huge mistake. 

That said…you can bet that the scouts are looking at all the top safeties in the next draft in anticipation we lose poyer. It’s gonna be rinse and repeat. 

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

And people will blame the OL, not realizing that most OL's going up against a good Front 4 will struggle when every play is drop back and wait for long developing routes to be run.  

Dorsey needs to take some of the freedom away from Allen if he can't trust Allen to take checkdowns as part of the long game.   Send in plays where the first read is a shallow route or throw to the flat from time to time.  Don't make him think... just dial it up and keep dialing them up until the defense adjusts.  Allen has the strongest arm, maybe ever, doesn't matter when teams are dropping 7 and the DL can pin their ears back and rush. 

A guy like Zach Wilson looked really good yesterday cause they schemed quick hitters for him. Our pass rush had no chance to get home cause the ball was out so quick. 

Edited by whorlnut

Everyone should take blame for yesterday. Coaches, players, everyone.

But the coaches shouldn't take any more blame than the players.

It wasn't the coaches' fault that Josh Allen threw two bad picks. The Bills almost certainly would have won had he NOT thrown those two picks.

It wasn't the coaches' fault that Dion Dawkins held (or was called for holding, or whatever) on that 4th quarter sideline laser to Diggs. It wasn't the coaches' fault that Davis dropped that pass that hit him in the numbers on 4th and 21.

Sometimes it's the Xs and Os, sometimes it's the Willies and Joes. This loss is on the whole team, to be sure, but the Willies and the Joes seem to me like they should shoulder the majority of the blame.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.