Fix The Bills - You're the GM and HC

SCBills

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Cut the entire roster and start over.

People …. Really? We’ve lost two one score games.

I would agree with most of OP's suggestions even if we had won yesterday.  It's not overreacting to acknowledge that McKenzie isn't getting it done and we're not utilizing our RBs properly.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Because we’re playing 2 backups at safety, a rookie CB on one side and a guy on the other side who returned 2 weeks after it looked like he broke his neck.  

If nothing else, play a few snaps and provide some leadership.  Gotta be creeping into his teammates minds about what’s going on.  There was hope he’d be ready week 1.  We’re on to week 10.  

ACL injury.. it takes time, and rushing it is not the answer... Also its the teams doctors and the HC thats making the call on when he is ready to play. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Not much we can do about it right now.  

Bills OL really isn’t a problem, tbh.  It’s not an elite unit, but who really has a dominant line anymore?

Chiefs spent all that money and draft capital for what?  Any good DL wrecks them.  Same with the Bengals. 

We have a decent group that is protecting/blocking for an offense that is way too predictable. 

Is the offense too predictable? Or does it appear too predictable when bad decisions and mistakes are being made?

Is the OL decent and Josh struggles at times? Or does Josh struggle when the OL is playing bad?

Do WR never get open or create separation? Or is Josh making bad reads or the offense is too predictable?

Does Knox never get open? Or does Josh never look his way or is he not a read on many plays?

Have Ken Dorsey, Josh Allen and the offense go watch some film on the Kansas City Chiefs.

When teams take away the deeper shots, they seemingly have no pivot.  It's just the QB running for his life and throwing into coverage, usually forcing it to Stefon Diggs.

The Chiefs lost their best deep threat in the offseason (Tyreek Hill), and have continued to roll on offense this season by simply being patient and attacking underneath.  They haven't been perfect either, but the shorter elements I see in their passing attack could definitely be a helpful adjustment for us.

• As many pointed out, we absolutely MUST get Dawson Knox involved in the passing game.  Hitting him with some quick releases would help tremendously when teams are playing back in coverage.  
  • Slot receiver is a big problem.  Losing Jameson Crowder hurt way more than anyone expected, and Isaiah McKenzie is not the answer there.  I know he's a rookie, but I don't understand why Khalil Shakir is not getting more snaps.
  • Nyheim Hines needs to be heavily involved, starting this week.  I want to see this team incorporate some more swing passes and screens.

The lack of adjustments (on both sides of the ball) are infuriating with this team.  

Consistently run the ball by a guy not named Josh Allen.

Our RB1 had 8 carries. Let this guy get in a rhythm for heavens sake. I know he only averaged 3 ypc but he has a lifetime 4.6 ypc. Let 1 guy get going and in a groove. 

Our RB2 had 4 carries

Thats 12 carries in a game we were leading or tied for over 58 minutes. 

It's unacceptable to abandon the run with a lead through 3 quarters. I can't stand it. I never will

Boom. I solved the puzzle

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Have Ken Dorsey, Josh Allen and the offense go watch some film on the Kansas City Chiefs.

When teams take away the deeper shots, they seemingly have no pivot.  It's just the QB running for his life and throwing into coverage, usually forcing it to Stefon Diggs.

The Chiefs lost their best deep threat in the offseason (Tyreek Hill), and have continued to roll on offense this season by simply being patient and attacking underneath.  They haven't been perfect either, but the shorter elements I see in their passing attack could definitely be a helpful adjustment for us.

• As many pointed out, we absolutely MUST get Dawson Knox involved in the passing game.  Hitting him with some quick releases would help tremendously when teams are playing back in coverage.  
  • Slot receiver is a big problem.  Losing Jameson Crowder hurt way more than anyone expected, and Isaiah McKenzie is not the answer there.  I know he's a rookie, but I don't understand why Khalil Shakir is not getting more snaps.
  • Nyheim Hines needs to be heavily involved, starting this week.  I want to see this team incorporate some more swing passes and screens.

The lack of adjustments (on both sides of the ball) are infuriating with this team.  

I agree with everything except the swing passes and/or screens.

Hines is definitely the best pass catching back but Motorvis no slouch by any means and Josh barely looks his way and always wants to push push push downfield.

I love 17 as much as anyone but can we be reasonable and hold the man accountable 

Motor should have had 8-10 receptions which would have opened up that downfield action

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would love to have that guy, but what I would LOVE to see is us getting rid of smaller/athletic types on the DL and replace them with HUGE bodies.  They are out there, but not everyone has them.

I feel like you have to have one, especially in the middle.  Simply ask him NOT to be moved.  Let everyone do everything else around his brick wall.

What?  They replaced Harrison Phillips and Lotuleilei with DaQuan Jones (320#) , Tim Settle (313 #) and Jordan Phillips (330#)

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Is the offense too predictable? Or does it appear too predictable when bad decisions and mistakes are being made?

Is the OL decent and Josh struggles at times? Or does Josh struggle when the OL is playing bad?

Do WR never get open or create separation? Or is Josh making bad reads or the offense is too predictable?

Does Knox never get open? Or does Josh never look his way or is he not a read on many plays?

The OL is mostly horrible.  Josh is mainly in the shotgun and on many plays he has like a second to look downfield before a defender is closing in.  If he wasn’t mobile and more Bledsoe-like, he could be leading the league in times sacked.

Let's look at the overall picture. The Bills are designed to get rolling and crush their opponents in the passing game. While their defensive line appeared to have solved last year's problems starting with the Packers game they allowed over 200 yards running. Few people watching or playing in that game could understand the Packer's strategy. They effectively shortened the game while being behind by 3 scores. Giving up rushing yards while being substantially ahead is most likely acceptable assuming that the Bills defense is protecting against the pass/deep pass. Now, we gave up what seems like a lot of rushing yards in both the Green Bay & New Jersey games. If our offense was doing what it was designed to do in the 2nd half of both games then there would have been less rushing by our opponents and more passing into a defense prepared for it. Neither of those teams were going to beat us in a shootout providing we were up to par with our offense. For whatever reason we couldn't score in the 2nd half of those games. In order to fix our defense we need to fix our offense. It would also be very helpful to get our injured defensive players back.  

Like it or not the Bills are built around Josh Allen. As he goes, we go. 

We just need to run some 2 back sets with Gilliam and 2 TE's. Heavy sets and pound the ball to soften up the defense then let Allen do his thing. Right now there is no play action pass. Gilliam is a super talented receiver and blocker. Lets get THAT involved. Need draw plays and a ton more screens with Diggs and McKenzie.

Defenses are playing pass coverage only against us and for some reason JA cannot accept the check downs (As he did early in the season), with heavy sets he is forced to use check downs. Titans almost beat the Chiefs last night without a QB and I will argue they only lost due to the Refs.

I feel last year when this happened we refocused the offence on short passes and moving the chains and allowed Josh the ability to exploit situations where he had a good shot down field. I don't like the amount of deep shots we are taking.

Also can special teams step up with a play, blocked punt against Pittsburg last year, missed FG's and a fake punt yesterday.

They owe us a big play

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.