Frank Reich fired

Big Blitz

There is so much weird with this entire situation. 

Did Reich not want to be a lame duck coach, maybe some big time disagreements with irsay came to a head?  All speculation but I'd have to say this is probably likely.

then the interim coach. Wtf. How do your u sell this to the team and staff?  Why would Saturday agree to be a lame duck coach in this spot?  Seems like a lose lose for him 

9 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Did Reich not want to be a lame duck coach, maybe some big time disagreements with irsay came to a head? 

Frank Reich is a man of strong faith, and probably sought contemplation and prayer for answers.

Irsay probably consulted Dr. Feelgood for new and stronger script. 🤨

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Did Reich not want to be a lame duck coach, maybe some big time disagreements with irsay came to a head?  All speculation but I'd have to say this is probably likely.

I doubt Reich wanted to be fired in the middle of the season.  Maybe Reich wanted to bring in a different QB and play Ryan again after his injury heals, given that this poor sacrificial 6th round pick was completely unable to play QB last Sunday?

Irsay is the guy who let Curtis Painter play QB while the Colts went 2-14 in the “Suck for Luck” fest, so we know he’s willing to sacrifice a HC and a team/season to go for a draft pick.

Who knows?

I feel for Frank Reich though.  I think he got shanked on QBs with Luck retiring unexpectedly, Rivers retiring after 1 season, and the decision to bring in Wentz and Rivers.  I wonder how much of those decisions were his and how much was Irsays and Ballard?

2 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

then the interim coach. Wtf. How do your u sell this to the team and staff?  Why would Saturday agree to be a lame duck coach in this spot?  Seems like a lose lose for him 

McAfee kind of implied that perhaps Saturday wanted to get into NFL coaching without going through the grind of being an assistant then a position coach then…..

Maybe he figures if he can at least field a team that can get first downs, he’ll get a shot?

I dunno, you’re right, it’s just totally weird.

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

The owner of Indy is going all tank mode again to find another Manning or Luck in the draft. That’s his MO. Hines is probably happy he got out when he did. 

Is there a Luck-type QB prospect in this year’s draft?

Zack Moss is probably “what the Holy Heck did I just walk into?”

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I doubt Reich wanted to be fired in the middle of the season.  Maybe Reich wanted to bring in a different QB and play Ryan again after his injury heals, given that this poor sacrificial 6th round pick was completely unable to play QB last Sunday?

Irsay is the guy who let Curtis Painter play QB while the Colts went 2-14 in the “Suck for Luck” fest, so we know he’s willing to sacrifice a HC and a team/season to go for a draft pick.

Who knows?

I feel for Frank Reich though.  I think he got shanked on QBs with Luck retiring unexpectedly, Rivers retiring after 1 season, and the decision to bring in Wentz and Rivers.  I wonder how much of those decisions were his and how much was Irsays and Ballard?

McAfee kind of implied that perhaps Saturday wanted to get into NFL coaching without going through the grind of being an assistant then a position coach then…..

Maybe he figures if he can at least field a team that can get first downs, he’ll get a shot?

I dunno, you’re right, it’s just totally weird.

Is there a Luck-type QB prospect in this year’s draft?

Zack Moss is probably “what the Holy Heck did I just walk into?”

Allg good points.  

You're right there a thousand possibilities as to what went down, it seems one thing that might be certain is something did go down. 

I feel for Reich too.  But that might just be because he will always be a buffalo bill to me and has a special place inany fans hearts. Of course it may just have been a big ***** show over there 

5 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

I'd bet a lot that he's been promised more (Irsay's comment even indicate this).. they just can't make him HC without conducting the sham process. 

Irsay acts like a fan. He wants change whenever things don't go the way he thinks they should regardless if change would actually make the situation better. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Who knows?

Rivers and Wentz were Reich calls. Ryan is a bit less clear. But by the time they got to Matt Ryan the damage was done anyway. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rivers and Wentz were Reich calls. Ryan is a bit less clear. But by the time they got to Matt Ryan the damage was done anyway. 

Well, if that’s true, then Reich has a lot of responsibility for the debacle.  I don’t see Ballard as having the ego to be a rubber stamp, though, and Reich was very much an afterthought of a hire if we recall, who didn’t even get to hire his staff.  So how did he get that influence?

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, if that’s true, then Reich has a lot of responsibility for the debacle.  I don’t see Ballard as having the ego to be a rubber stamp, though, and Reich was very much an afterthought of a hire if we recall, who didn’t even get to hire his staff.  So how did he get that influence?

Oh Reich has a lot of responsibility. No question. I suspect Ballard deferred to Reich on QB because of his history. He personally apologised to management for vouching for Wentz. I suspect after that Ballard made the Ryan call but I don't think that has been widely reported. The mistake that they made jointly was not deciding earlier on in the process to prioritise drafting their own guy. It is a mistakes we saw the Bills make time and again. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh Reich has a lot of responsibility. No question. I suspect Ballard deferred to Reich on QB because of his history. He personally apologised to management for vouching for Wentz. I suspect after that Ballard made the Ryan call but I don't think that has been widely reported. The mistake that they made jointly was not deciding earlier on in the process to prioritise drafting their own guy. It is a mistakes we saw the Bills make time and again. 

I can't blame them for Rivers.  They thought they had a winning team, then Luck retired. 

He was their Stafford, so to speak, the very talented QB trapped for years in a spinning-its-wheels franchise.

But once he retired, then yeah, they needed to re-tool and say "we gotta get our guy"

Is all this drama about Ballard apologizing to management for Wentz public somewhere?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can't blame them for Rivers.  They thought they had a winning team, then Luck retired. 

He was their Stafford, so to speak, the very talented QB trapped for years in a spinning-its-wheels franchise.

But once he retired, then yeah, they needed to re-tool and say "we gotta get our guy"

Is all this drama about Ballard apologizing to management for Wentz public somewhere?

Reich apologising, not Ballard. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/frank-reich-reportedly-apologized-to-colts-ownership-for-vouching-for-carson-wentz-002956122.html#:~:text=In the aftermath of the,Wentz in the first place.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That makes sense, yeah.  But then why the Colts would "go to the well" again and bring in another once-great QB, is a total puzzle.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.