[Name Only Title] Ed Oliver

ToBillsFan

On 11/7/2022 at 11:32 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Meh. 

It’s said all the time DTs in this system don’t get numbers, they just chew up blocks. Sometimes it looks like they don’t even attempt a tackle, they literally just chew up a blocker. 

His stats suggest he definitely isn’t make any impact plays. I’m just not sure if it’s an Ed Oliver thing, but I have a hard time believing MLB and DT just isn’t ‘impact positions’ in our defense. 

it does come down to assignments.

thats why i have trouble "hating" on any player.
But Ed's strength is penetrating DT . If his ankle is shot , so is is amazing burst. 

This is a Football season and how it Always goes. A hefty measure of tolerance is required ☺️

On 11/7/2022 at 11:42 AM, SCBills said:

This is a confusing statement to make

wordplay ? re -sign vs resign ?? lol

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

He's a hair's width above average for a NFL starting DT. He won't be selling insurance any time soon and I doubt he'll ever be invited to a probowl. We need to focus more on the OL.

I agree. I'm tired of investing all the money and draft picks on D anymore. Get some quality Olineman around Josh. Protect him and start establishing a damn run attack. If OBJ replaces Gabe, so be it. Start putting 60% of your emphasis on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm at the point that we start investing some of this defensive money into offensive players. We need a legit OL and stop hodge podging it together every year. We need another weapon whether at WR/RB doesn't matter to me. Ed Oliver doesn't make enough splash plays to command the type of money he is going to command. If the system doesn't allow players to flourish than why are we going to pay a guy top dollar. We should only be investing in one of Ed Oliver or Tremaine Edmunds and then reallocate that money to the offensive side of the ball. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I'm at the point that we start investing some of this defensive money into offensive players. We need a legit OL and stop hodge podging it together every year. We need another weapon whether at WR/RB doesn't matter to me. Ed Oliver doesn't make enough splash plays to command the type of money he is going to command. If the system doesn't allow players to flourish than why are we going to pay a guy top dollar. We should only be investing in one of Ed Oliver or Tremaine Edmunds and then reallocate that money to the offensive side of the ball. 

Riddle me this ? Then why would he command the money he will command ?

Not to disagree with your overall opinion :)

Suddenly there's a bunch of people saying we shouldn't invest in D anymore - beef up the O instead. Well, last year's O was good enough to reach, and probably win, the SB; the defense blew the Chiefs game. This year's offense is the league's 3rd highest in points per game, and that includes Sunday's anomaly. Granted, this year's D is the best in the league, but it's not like our offense, which has averaged over 27 points per game, is in desperate need of upgrades.

Beane and McD have built this team by drafting, trading, and FA signing based on value and availability, not reaching for short-term needs. When they see someone who's available, affordable, and better than what we currently have at any given position, they go for it. That's how you build a sustaining contender. We've had key injuries on both sides of the ball - more than in a typical year - which has resulted in two horrible games, both of which came down to the final play. It's hard to look at that and say the front office is neglecting anything.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Suddenly there's a bunch of people saying we shouldn't invest in D anymore - beef up the O instead. Well, last year's O was good enough to reach, and probably win, the SB; the defense blew the Chiefs game. This year's offense is the league's 3rd highest in points per game, and that includes Sunday's anomaly. Granted, this year's D is the best in the league, but it's not like our offense, which has averaged over 27 points per game, is in desperate need of upgrades.

Beane and McD have built this team by drafting, trading, and FA signing based on value and availability, not reaching for short-term needs. When they see someone who's available, affordable, and better than what we currently have at any given position, they go for it. That's how you build a sustaining contender. We've had key injuries on both sides of the ball - more than in a typical year - which has resulted in two horrible games, both of which came down to the final play. It's hard to look at that and say the front office is neglecting anything.

We had the #1 defense in the NFL. Coaching blew the Chiefs game, don't kid yourself. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

We had the #1 defense in the NFL. Coaching blew the Chiefs game, don't kid yourself. 

Fine. Defensive coaching blew it. Or defensive execution blew it. My point is that the offensive talent wasn't, and still isn't, the problem.

Edited by WhoTom

15 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Well stated. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Riddle me this ? Then why would he command the money he will command ?

Not to disagree with your overall opinion :)

Because sometimes other teams value players more than their original team. Maybe another team will think they can unlock his potential in their system. A lack of depth on the market at a certain position like DT usually doesn't have a guy who has started for 5 years and is only 26 years old. Just like the draft, teams sign players  more on what they think a player can be going into their late 20's early 30s much than signing a guy on the downside of his career 32 on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Fine. Defensive coaching blew it. Or defensive execution blew it. My point is that the offensive talent wasn't, and still isn't, the problem.

This week's loss and last week's second half were failures of the offense.

We need a true #2 receiver. We need more help on the right side of the OL. We need a RB that can carry the load if needed.

That's pretty indisputable at this point. The team HAS to start using the draft to stock the offensive cupboard, give Josh what he wants and needs.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Bad News...Oliver has been very underwhelming, and may be playing himself into UFA territory

Worst News...If the "Bad News" comes to fruition, brace yourself for another 1st or 2nd round pick on ANOTHER DL next April.

Not again! 😅

I didn't even think of this. 

13 hours ago, zow2 said:

The DLine looks like they are going through the motions the last couple games.  Oliver included.  Maybe some humble pie this past Sunday will do them all some good.

Roos and Miller show up.  What happened to DaQuan and crew?  Ive seen Settle- where is everyone else on DL.  Someone else step up and help this team

18 hours ago, WhoTom said:

You make good points. I think the counter argument is that Allen makes up for many of the deficiencies of the OL. Brown has been at best up and down. Bates seems ok but he is not great. I advocated for matching his offer from the Bears and I'm still fine with that decision.  Morse is good enough. 

Also last year they had Sanders and Beasley. So the offense has seen a fair amount of turnover since last season. 

My biggest issue with the offense is that Knox should be getting 10 targets a game like Kelce. Davis should be the third option not the second.

A couple of weeks ago, Beane signed Zimmer to the PS.  

I went to Wegman’s and asked for 1/2 pound of fresh chicken intestines, came home, chucked them on the kitchen counter and started reading.

It was clear to me they would trade Oliver before the deadline for a 2nd and a 7th, promote Zimmer and we’d barely notice any change in 3T output.

Open up money for next year & this year too.

I missed by a hair.

The entrails are now happily composting in my neighbor’s bushes.

• Haha (+1) 1

This thread got me to thinking about 2023 (I still believe in 2022!) and what the Bills defense might look like and how resources should finally flow to the offense.  So what could D look like next year:

CB - White, D. Jackson, T. Johnson, Elam, Benford.  You can't be any more stacked than this.  No FA's, no draft choices.

S - If Hyde is healthy (obviously, big if) I don't see them holding on to Poyer.  Love Poyer but Hamlin can play SS with Hyde next to him.  I'd like to see Neal backing up one of the spots.  No FA's, maybe a late draft choice.  Wouldn't mind not seeing J. Johnson on the field again.

OLB - Milano backed up by Bernard.  No FA's, no draft choices.

ILB - I don't think they resign Edmunds.  I'd like to see them try to pry Bobby Wagner off the Rams or someone similar.  Vet with instincts and aggression but not the athleticism of Edmunds.  Or resign Dodson as a cheaper alternative.  Can Spector be a viable backup?

DE - Miller, Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham.  Let Lawson walk.  No FA's, no draft choices.

DT - Oliver (same deal as Edmunds this year - let him play out fifth year and see if it is worth resigning him), Jones, Settle.  Let Phillips walk.  No FA's, maybe middle round draft choice.  

That leaves a lot of room to upgrade at OL, WR, possibly RB.  Defense should be fine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.