Josh Allen concussion speculation

Einstein

22 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

No.  Would you have suggested a concussion was affecting his play after the 1st half yesterday?  He had the boneheaded INT in the 1st half yesterday, but otherwise looked pretty sharp (two TDs and led the team into FG range in less than a minute).

This is whay he's saying.  It's lingering concussion impact. If he doesn't take time off and he had one last week he wouldn't be better. 

15 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Yes, looks like it was this play.

1st & 10 at NYJ 12

(6:24 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen to NYJ 19 for -7 yards (S.Rankins). FUMBLES (S.Rankins), and recovers at NYJ 18. J.Allen sacked at NYJ 14 for -2 yards (sack split by J.Sherwood and K.Alexander).

I missed it yesterday, but Josh shakes his head pretty hard after the tackle. It's possible he was looking over to the sideline (or another player) and shaking his head "no" in response to something. It's also possible he has a lingering concussion and got his bell rung. 

Yup.  I have video too.  Same thought. 

20 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Yes, looks like it was this play.

1st & 10 at NYJ 12

(6:24 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen to NYJ 19 for -7 yards (S.Rankins). FUMBLES (S.Rankins), and recovers at NYJ 18. J.Allen sacked at NYJ 14 for -2 yards (sack split by J.Sherwood and K.Alexander).

I missed it yesterday, but Josh shakes his head pretty hard after the tackle. It's possible he was looking over to the sideline (or another player) and shaking his head "no" in response to something. It's also possible he has a lingering concussion and got his bell rung. 

Classic bell rung behavior. You don’t just do the classic skin crawl shake for nothing. 

Just now, zow2 said:

Maybe they will roll Keenum out against Minnesota.  You never know.  If Josh needs a break to get back healthy it might have to happen.

Honestly, from an immediate football perspective I’m more worried about the elbow than the concussion.  I will not be surprised to see Keenum next week. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

With all the crazy conspiracy theories out there in the world, I actually think there’s something to this.  He looked really off yesterday.  Slow to process, indecisive and sometimes statuesque in the pocket.  The game moves so damn fast.  It doesn’t take much to impact your play.  

He’s off.  The double-clutching, the awful interceptions, frankly the touch throw to Kumerow that he missed that would have ended the GB game . . . He’s just not right.  And I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he was concussed against GB.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

This is whay he's saying.  It's lingering concussion impact. If he doesn't take time off and he had one last week he wouldn't be better. 

Maybe you’re missing what I’m saying.  If Josh leads the team to two more TDs in the 2nd half as well yesterday and another field goal attempt, the Bills score at least 28, potentially 31, and are we even having this discussion?  If Josh was concussed last Sunday as some are theorizing, wouldn’t he have been less sharp in the 1st half yesterday?

The real problems are the Bills had trouble with the Jets pass rush and the WRs had trouble getting open against their secondary.  I don’t buy the concussion theory.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen has had bad games in every season and it stretches into more than just one game.  He will be fine and back to his old ways soon.

It’s always after the bye or a break.  He’s a rhythm guy and he typically comes back slowly out of the break.  This is different, though.  Too many uncharacteristic decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen has had bad games in every season and it stretches into more than just one game.  He will be fine and back to his old ways soon.

This isn’t Jags bad game esque. This is something isn’t right with Allen bad game. Decisions I’ve never seen him make. Processor speed was slower than normal, and just looked like he was playing in fog. Couldn’t see things and diagnose things like is typical. 

I’d allow that a concussion is a possibility. But the team’s and NFL’s medical staffs (and probably some others) failed Allen if that was the case. After the Tua fiasco I can’t believe the NFL allowed Allen to continue playing after the head shake - whether or not he was actually concussed. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This isn’t Jags bad game esque. This is something isn’t right with Allen bad game. Decisions I’ve never seen him make. Processor speed was slower than normal, and just looked like he was playing in fog. Couldn’t see things and diagnose things like is typical. 

This happens every year.

We were 7-6 at one point last year.  

In 2020, we had a terrible 3 game stretch against the Chiefs, Titans and Jets.  In those 3 games, we scored 4 TD's.

In 2019, Eagles killed us, lost to the Browns and Washington stayed with us until late in the 4th.  

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d allow that a concussion is a possibility. But the team’s and NFL’s medical staffs (and probably some others) failed Allen if that was the case. After the Tua fiasco I can’t believe the NFL allowed Allen to continue playing after the head shake - whether or not he was actually concussed. 

We don’t know what Allen is telling the team. Allen is a tough SOB and like Favre, is a danger to himself sometimes. Allen is never going to tell you he got his bell rung. He will just say things like I had an off day. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We don’t know what Allen is telling the team. Allen is a tough SOB and like Favre, is a danger to himself sometimes. Allen is never going to tell you he got his bell rung. He will just say things like I had an off day. 

True. And he sure couldn’t say he thought he was concussed publicly after playing out the game. My surprise is that it didn’t appear that he was even evaluated. If it was a Tua situation where he passed the test, that’s different. But he didn’t get the check. I can’t believe the NFL didn’t give him one.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you saying that Allen has likely suffered 3 or 4 concussions per season his whole career?  Thats like 15 concussions!!! No wonder he had 2 bad passes.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Maybe you’re missing what I’m saying.  If Josh leads the team to two more TDs in the 2nd half as well yesterday and another field goal attempt, the Bills score at least 28, potentially 31, and are we even having this discussion?  If Josh was concussed last Sunday as some are theorizing, wouldn’t he have been less sharp in the 1st half yesterday?

The real problems are the Bills had trouble with the Jets pass rush and the WRs had trouble getting open against their secondary.  I don’t buy the concussion theory.

He was less sharp.  If he didn't scramble we wouldn't have scored.   He was hesitant and other than diggs throw wasn't sharp. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.