Who has been the biggest disappointment?

Milanos Milano

I'm looking at team disappointments rather than individual players, especially problems that have seemed problems for some time.  I thought that the run defense was fixed with revamped D Line.  Last two games were a tremendous disappointment.  Offensive line and running attack.  I really like Spencer Brown and the offseason maladies and the ankle sprain haven't helped but yet again, the offensive line is an issue and a consistent non-QB running game is a mirage.  Couple that with a couple of lousy games from Josh and more injuries than we are used to (we've been awfully lucky in that respect for the last couple of years) and 6 - 2 seems just about right.  

Not giving up on this year by a long, long shot but (1) run D has to be fixed and (2) offense has to find some balance.  

On 11/7/2022 at 8:09 AM, Virgil said:

1 - Davis

2 - Cook

3 - Knox

4 - Edmunds

5 - Shakir

I can see Davis on the list and that is it.  

Knox has suffered a personal tragedy, give him a break.  Plus he is called on to block a lot since the RT (Brown) is hurt so damn much.  

Edmunds is playing good football unless you are one of those "not enough splash plays" guys.  

Cook and especially Shakir are not getting enough touches to even rate and they are rookies .  

My list is:

1 -  Crowder - did not fill the Beasley spot adequately, then he got hurt and left two holes (slot and PR).

2 - McKenzie - not a top 3 WR and is error prone

3 - Saffold  -  Not helping the run game as expected 

4 - Jacquan Johnson - filling big shoes and has good moments but also poor tackling and a few blown assignments

5 -  Gabe Davis - inconsistent but shows up at times

Edited by Bob in STL

Too many on a team with Super Bowl aspirations

1. Davis - 16 catches on the year. Never open except on deep routes. bad hands
2. Saffold - Completely useless. I thought we were getting a great player and he might be the worst player on the line. Hits no one.

3. McKenzie - I didn't expect him to be lighting it up every week, but I legitimately expected big plays, high YAC value with occasional games over 100.
4. Knox - Rough personal issues, but hasn't been a factor at all. I really didn't like the signing because I saw a limited player produce in a system
5. Oliver - has regressed from last season where it looked like he finally took a big step. He's just a rotational level player.

6. Epenesa - 3 years in and he still doesn't look like he's figured out how to play in this league even as a abckup. I'm not sure he plays in a regular season game after this season

injuries

We lost our all pro safety tandem, haven't had our top CB, and lost our playmaking beast of a LB in Milano. That taking 4 of the top defensive players off the field and replacing them with a bunch of rookies, who have played about as well as you could expect, maybe better. 

But that's a lot. Subtract 4 of the top players on any defense in the league and it's going to hurt. 

20 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

2. Saffold - Completely useless. I thought we were getting a great player and he might be the worst player on the line. Hits no one.

3. McKenzie - I didn't expect him to be lighting it up every week, but I legitimately expected big plays, high YAC value with occasional games over 100.
4. Knox - Rough personal issues, but hasn't been a factor at all. I really didn't like the signing because I saw a limited player produce in a system
5. Oliver - has regressed from last season where it looked like he finally took a big step. He's just a rotational level player.

6. Epenesa - 3 years in and he still doesn't look like he's figured out how to play in this league even as a abckup. I'm not sure he plays in a regular season game after this season

7. Daquan Johnson

8. Boogie Basham

Perfect list with these 2 added. 

21 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Based on all these threads, I'll say the fans.

This team is 6-2, with their two losses were by a combined 5 points with an injury decimated defense.

Nobody (I think) is disputing that the Bills have a good team with a loaded roster.  If Davis is currently living up to your expectations, your expectations were set far too low.

Davis, Saffold, Crowder and Knox for me.  Crowder was signed to be the starting slot receiver (not McKenzie) and he was below average before his injury.  Davis is just too inconsistent, and I didn't realize his hands were an issue until a few weeks ago.  Now I'm legitimately concerned about a real lack of depth at WR.  We really need Shakir to step up over the second half or we are going to watch an ailing Josh continue to struggle.  

I thought we'd see a little more from Gabe. I wonder if the injury has hampered him all season or what but yeah, hoping he finds a new gear for the second half of the season here. 

I also hope Knox can kick it up another level. They need to involve him more but right now he's their top blocking TE so he's being kept in line more than he was last season. 

I saw Shakir and Cook mentioned a lot. I give rookies the benefit of the doubt. Especially on a McDermott let Bills team where they always bring along their rookies slowly. Both of them have had some nice moments and I'm sure there will be more. I do tend to agree a little with those that'd like to see Shakir get a few more snaps over McKenzie. Not sure what's up with him this season but it feels like he's struggling somewhat. 

Defensively, I really thought Jaquan Johnson would be a little better than he's been. In spot duty previously he had some decent plays, but right now they don't seem to trust him out there. I expect it to be Marlowe and Hamlin if Poyer can't go again and then probably a rotation of Marlow and Hamlin alongside Poyer when he can play. On the flip side, I've been pretty impressed with Hamlin. 

Oh, I also blame Siran Neal for the loss Sunday. Taron had to sit out a play and wouldn't ya know it, they hit some 35-40 yard pass up the seam right on Neal. Really good special teamer just not a very good secondary player. 

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm on board with Saffold.  Davis has had some bright spots.  MicKenzie was always a question mark for me.  Knox has had off the field things going on.  Oliver has had bright spots along with Espenesa (who is actually 3rd in sacks).  I thought Saffold was going to be the next coming of Incognito.  I real mauler who stood up well at the point of attack.  Have not seen much from Saffold to be impressed with.  Hoping the line plays into shape together as a unit.

Weird picks, I know: Saffold and Bates. Bates seemed to stabilize the line at LG last season, and I thought he’d be a clear upgrade over what we had last year on the right side. Saffold is old but I thought he had something left. In other words, I thought Beane had modestly upgraded the line for little money. Now I think the line is actually worse than it was the second half/playoff time last season. 

Talking strictly offense it has to be Davis #1 and Knox #2.

McKenzie is a disappointment, but I place him third because he's not under a big contract like Knox and wasn't on the same upward trajectory that Davis was on. McKenzie had expectations but not that he would be one of the elite players at his position like Davis and Knox were thought of coming into this season. 

Davis does at least have that one huge game against the Steelers so we do have that. There might be hope yet for him. And how much of this is also on Allen and Dorsey? Are they over forcing the ball to Diggs? 

I actually thought Davis would have a better statistical season than Diggs coming into this season. Boy was I wrong. 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:07 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

For me it’s a tie between Davis and McKenzie. If it wasn’t for Diggs being the dawg that he is, we’d be in deep trouble. When we face good secondaries, we have nobody that can take over a game when Diggs is taken out. It’s depressing because I though Davis could be that dude after the KC game last year. What is even more maddening is Shakir has shown flashes and yet he doesn’t get the playing time he deserves over McKenzie. It blows my mind that you have an elite QB and you can’t even get 50 yards a game. McKenzie has been an absolute soul crusher. 

Easy Davis.  I said all off season McKenzie is not a starter, that was clear as day to me.  And I knew the staff doubted it to after only signing him to backup money and then going out and adding a more accomplished Slot WR in Crowder and drafting Shakir.  

But Davis was someone I thought had the potential to lead the team in yards and TD's with his big play ability and all the attention Diggs was going to get.  Firugred Diggs had a lock on receptions, but really expected Davis to take that next step.  And while he has flashed, his consistency to get open on non big plays is a concern as his low catch rate of 54%.  

Early on I gave him a pass on his total catches with missing some time and playing hurt.  But the last 2 weeks he was back to full strength and he really struggled against good corners.  With how many big plays he was making, he seemed poised for a breakout coming into this year.  He just hasn't progressed from the occassional big play to consistent producer and threat in all areas of the field.  

I am not writing him off, but I really hope Dorsey starts to scheme up some better play designs to get him more involved because what ever they are doing now isn't working.  

Runner Up:  Dorsey.  He isn't a huge disappointment overall, I mean we have been one of the top 2 offenses most the season.  However, where I am disappointed is I thought he would look to involve our RB's more in both rush attempts and as pass receivers and also design more offensive plays for Knox with his own history of using TE's when he played.  This is one area I hope he looks at the tape these past 2 weeks and goes back and makes those adjustments.  

NOTE:  Dorsey also needs to abandon the McKenzie experiment and focus on making Shakir the featured slot guy.  We need another threat to take pressure off Diggs and Davis.  This offense has shown it misses Cole at times, especially on important 3rd down plays where Cole was a first down machine.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:09 AM, BruceVilanch said:

I had pretty big expectations for Gabe and he's been pretty non existent outside of the Pittsburgh game. Knox has been disappointing but I give him a pass considering what he went through over the summer. 

I’m not too down on Davis yet. Aside from his injury he’s only really been taken out by an all pro CB (Alexander) and the likely DROY (Sauce). That’s not too bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.