Who has been the biggest disappointment?

Milanos Milano

For me it’s a tie between Davis and McKenzie. If it wasn’t for Diggs being the dawg that he is, we’d be in deep trouble. When we face good secondaries, we have nobody that can take over a game when Diggs is taken out. It’s depressing because I though Davis could be that dude after the KC game last year. What is even more maddening is Shakir has shown flashes and yet he doesn’t get the playing time he deserves over McKenzie. It blows my mind that you have an elite QB and you can’t even get 50 yards a game. McKenzie has been an absolute soul crusher. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

1 - Davis

2 - Cook

3 - Edmunds

4 - Shakir

How in the world has Shakir made this list over McKenzie. You are more disappointed in Shakir vs McKenzie? How? McD has weird vendettas against offensive rookies for some odd reason, Shakir can ball and has not been given the chance. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Not even close…McKenzie is completely worthless in this offense. What happened to the Beasley role where Josh could always count on a quick eight yards? You cannot play offense without a slot receiver, no matter how good your QB or #1 WR are. It’s like we’re down a man. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I had pretty big expectations for Gabe and he's been pretty non existent outside of the Pittsburgh game. Knox has been disappointing but I give him a pass considering what he went through over the summer. 

He drops like 50% of passes his way. It’s maddening to me. It’s soul crushing. Thank goodness we have Diggs, the only WR we can count on. We need a solid #2 WR that can take over games when we face good secondaries like we will have to do against the Jets going forward. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not even close…McKenzie is completely worthless in this offense. What happened to the Beasley role where Josh could always count on a quick eight yards? You cannot play offense without a slot receiver, no matter how good your QB or #1 WR are. It’s like we’re down a man. 

Imagine having a top 2 QB and arguably a Canton destined QB at that and failing to get 50 yards a game. McKenzie is an utter embarrassment for his speed skills. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We have seen Shakir excel in limited playing time, which is even more mind boggling why we continue to plug McKenzie in. I don’t get it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1) Davis - He was poised to be a top end #2.  He's not even an average #2.  He's a luxury high end big play WR3 at the moment.

2) McKenzie - We have next to zero slot production unless we move Diggs there.  This was a big part of Allen's evolution with a guy like Cole Beasley providing a safety valve to move the chains.  McKenzie needs to be replaced, now..  Whether it's by signing OBJ or giving Shakir a true opportunity.  McKenzie is killing the Offense by causing to play with a hand tied behind out back in 11 personnel.  He's a solid gadget player.. let him be that. 

3) Defensive Contract Guys - This may be unpopular, but Edmunds, Oliver and Poyer.  None of them are making the case to be re-signed. 

Edmunds looks great when the DL looks great.. struggles when the DL struggles.. still rarely any splash plays.  You don't pay guys like that.  Nick Bolton was more noticeable last night than Edmunds has been all year.  I know Edmunds has a different role, but you can't convince me that's worth 18M per year.

Oliver has been hurt, and maybe he's still working his way back... he's good, not great... you don't pay a good DT big money.  We'll see how the season progresses..

Poyer is a stud.  We all love the guy.  He's showing why you can't pay older players big money.  Availability.  At this point, the plan should be to simply manage his health to have him ready for the Playoffs. 

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

1) Davis - He was poised to be a top end #2.  He's not even an average #2.  He's a luxury high end big play WR3 at the moment.

2) McKenzie - We have next to zero slot production unless we move Diggs there.  This was a big part of Allen's evolution with a guy like Cole Beasley providing a safety valve to move the chains.  McKenzie needs to be replaced, now..  Whether it's by signing OBJ or giving Shakir a true opportunity.  McKenzie is killing the Offense by causing to play with a hand tied behind out back in 11 personnel.  He's a solid gadget player.. let him be that. 

3) Defensive Contract Guys - This may be unpopular, but Edmunds, Oliver and Poyer.  None of them are making the case to be re-signed. 

Edmunds looks great when the DL looks great.. struggles when the DL struggles.. still rarely any splash plays.  You don't pay guys like that.  Nick Bolton was more noticeable last night than Edmunds has been all year.  I know Edmunds has a different role, but you can't convince me that's worth 18M per year.

Oliver has been hurt, and maybe he's still working his way back... he's good, not great... you don't pay a good DT big money.  We'll see how the season progresses..

Poyer is a stud.  We all love the guy.  He's showing why you can't pay older players big money.  Availability.  At this point, the plan should be to simply manage his health to have him ready for the Playoffs. 

I agree with your list. I’d like to include an honorable mention with Knox. Not sure what happened to him this year, he’s been a ghost at times when we need him to take a game over. So jealous of KC having Kelce. 

• Agree 1

I'll cast another vote for Gabe Davis.  I expected him to be a solid second WR,  and so far,  he's just nowhere near consistent enough. 

The runner up would be the defensive front.  They've played well at times,  but for the investment,  I feel like they should be getting more from this group. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'll cast another vote for Gabe Davis.  I expected him to be a solid second WR,  and so far,  he's just nowhere near consistent enough. 

The runner up would be the defensive front.  They've played well at times,  but for the investment,  I feel like they should be getting more from this group. 

What happened to Settle? He’s been so underwhelming when he played so good in preseason. It’s like the dude hit the off switch. Just sad to see. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Biggest disappointment - The fan base. People are freaking out and the team is 6-2 still in the AFC lead.  Have some courage.  It's a long season.  

62 years Ethan. Don’t you dare pin this on the fans after the BS we’ve put up for years. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not even disappointed in McKenzie. I NEVER liked that signing and completely hate it now. No one could ever convince me that he was a viable replacement for Beasley. In fact, I think so many fans only like him cause he has a catchy nickname. He’s just not good. so I guess you could say I am disappointed that he got resigned. 

That said…for me it’s Davis and Knox. Davis has really seemed to have regressed. He let Alexander get in his head last week and has dropped some very catchable balls. He may have cost us both games that we lost with drops. I think last years playoff game gave a lot of us false hope with him. He’s solid, but not what we were hoping for. 

Knox has dealt with a lot.  Most of us can’t imagine what is going in his head and we should be thankful for that. But…we did pay him big money and he has to figure it out soon cause he’s been dang near invisible all season. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

What happened to Settle? He’s been so underwhelming when he played so good in preseason. It’s like the dude hit the off switch. Just sad to see. 

62 years Ethan. Don’t you dare pin this on the fans after the BS we’ve put up for years. 

Sadly there are no good therapies for PTSD. You just need to work through your demons.  

We have the best QB this franchise has ever had.  I have my doubts about the coaching staff as I have documented for several years, but the organization is as good as it has ever been.  I don't think Beane is the genius people say he is, but he is probably better than average. And better than average with a league MVP candidate QB is good enough to win the SB.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Pretty much every pass catcher except Diggs.  Gabe, Knox & Isaiah have led the charge of disappointment.  And yes Dorsey start using Shakir and stop dicking around.  OL is always underwhelming. 

5-6 defensive injuries have really hurt us. Along with Frazier's stubborn unwillingness to occassionally move out of the nickel (when appropriate).  Josh will reset and fix the head scratcher int's.

The last two weeks? 

QB has been the biggest disappointment. I would like Shakir to get more snaps. But what was the stat yesterday? 4 passes in the second half to receivers not named Diggs? That isn't a Diggs, Davis, Knox, McKenzie, Singletary, Cook, Hines, Shakir, Kumerow, problem. 

Josh is super star, but he isn't immune to bad stretches. This is one. It is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'd say the slot WR in general...Crowder only had 6 catches before going down for the year most likely with a broken ankle(maybe he can return late in the year), McKenzie has been nowhere and Shakir has had a few bright spots, but is still a rookie.

This played a huge role for us on offense the last few years and we are getting almost nothing from it now.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.