An honest question...

Pine Barrens Mafia

8 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Who in this team outside of Josh Allen couldn't be replaced?

Stefon Diggs?

I can't come up with too many other names, and that's troubling. I'm starting to look at beane and McDermott like I do James Franklin. That is to say, they're guys who were able to resurrect a dead program, but I'm afraid they're incapable of actually elevating the program to the pinnacle.

Can you name any other players on the roster who aren't easily replaceable? 

I could throw out a couple of names, and we could argue about them, but the real point is that question is irrelevant.  It really is.  The best teams do not have a boatload of irreplaceable players.    Who did the Patriots have, beyond Brady?  Revis for a few years, Wilfork for several.    There are only 30 or 40 irreplaceable players in the league, and with the salary cap and the draft, that means that every team ought to have 1 or 2.  A few may have three or four, but they often aren't the best players.  

How many irreplaceable players do the Cowboys have?   It's a trick question, because you reach some silly conclusions, one way or another.  One the one hand, you might say the have Zeke and Dak and a great offensive lineman, and that long speedy receiver, and that linebacker.   There are five, and yet they aren't dominating.   We'll see.  Or you argue that only one or two of those are irreplaceable, but if that's true, then it kind of proves that there are only 30-40 irreplacable guys. 

No, winning is not about collecting irreplaceable players.   You need one or two, and one has to be your QB, but what you really need is a whole team full of guys who do their jobs with a high degree of success.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was out when McD was compared to James Franklin 😆 I get the comparison, but McD is a solid coach, and a great guy. Franklin is a mediocre coach, and questionable character. McD shows some glaring weaknesses at times, but there’s no reason he can’t win a title. It’s up to the players to perform as well.

Edited by SirAndrew

The obvious effect of the injuries this year on our team undercuts your OP premise imho…our roster was universally hailed as one of, nay, the best top to bottom starting this year’s campaign…let’s see what happens when we get the majority of our starters back on the field at the same time. 

On 11/7/2022 at 7:16 AM, MAJBobby said:

So how easy it is to replace top 10 LTs and DTs in this league. Lol. 

You’d have to assume others believe they are too 10 LT and DT. Which I think many would argue they are not. Dawkins can have a case made for him. Oliver isn’t even in the top 50% imo 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

You’d have to assume others believe they are too 10 LT and DT. Which I think many would argue they are not. Dawkins can have a case made for him. Oliver isn’t even in the top 50% imo 

Oliver is massively overrated here.

I'd say odds are he's not extended 

On 11/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefon Diggs?

I can't come up with too many other names, and that's troubling. I'm starting to look at beane and McDermott like I do James Franklin. That is to say, they're guys who were able to resurrect a dead program, but I'm afraid they're incapable of actually elevating the program to the pinnacle.

So you are quite contradictive of your "question."  You imply we only have 1 maybe 2 players that are not easily replaced.  Then you go on to say that McD cant elevate the program.  If we only have 1 irreplaceable player on the roster then wouldnt it mean that he elevated the program?

Who is not replaceable on the Chiefs roster outside of Mahomes?

Kelce?

Who is not replaceable on most rosters in the NFL besides a star QB and maybe another star here or there?  They either did a good job building the team and they compete or they didnt.  I say they did.

Edited by Scott7975

On 11/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefon Diggs?

My God what has happened to people on this board.

Go do the same for KC and get back to me.

17 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Oliver is massively overrated here.

I'd say odds are he's not extended 

He’ll have the 5th year option and will not be back. He was a wasted draft pick imo. Undersized DT. Everyone put the Donald tag on him at first. It was comical then, it’s not funny anymore. He’s a dud 

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

look up the games where Milano was out 

the L column is MUCH larger than the W

That is such a ridiculous way to put it. And I’d bet you are incorrect anyway. The amount of games missed by him over the course of his career is mind numbing. Either way, he has very little do do with the W/L record of the Bills. He’s simply a player. Not saying he could be replaced by throwing a rock in any direction and picking a guy to play for him. But he’s just not that impactful to this defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

NFL roster management is financial asset management.  The question is how valuable is the roster compared to its cap cost. Everyone understands this when they discuss the advantage of having a high end QB on a rookie contract. 

Allen plays far above his cap cost.  This is the main reason the Bills succeed.  The Bills do not have many other players playing significantly above their cap cost (Elam, Benard, Rousseu come to mind as playing above their cost).  Its not clear to me that the Bills have many other bargains on the roster. 

Positional decision making is part of the asset management. It should be noted that the Bills have more cap committed to the defense than any other NFL team. The defence should be expected to excel. (again Allen, allows the Bills to go cheap on the rest of offense)

Edited by Chaos

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.