An honest question...

Pine Barrens Mafia

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

More premium Assets into the Defense.  I agree with you that is what McD needs to have his defense.  Heck with the OL or Josh's weapons.

But wait! It sounds like you don't like their teambuilding philosophy, WHICH IS WHAT THIS FRICKING THREAD IS ABOUT.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure I can play hindsight. 

Basham, Yep I probably would take Creed Humphrey over Basham at this point, granted that means Morse would be gone so younger at the position but likely a wash in terms of improvement on the OL.

Epenesa I dont think I would take Ezra Cleveland over him though.

Oliver is a Top 10 DT

Milano is also a Top LBer you hear it very week

Glenn is not a Bill but you are correct here

Show me one reason to believe Oliver is a top 10 DT, he’s not the clear cut best DT on his own team FFS. 

My bad, Glenn was better than Dawkins and we still don’t have a top 10 LT. 

Milano has an argument to be in the top 10 at his position, but he’s out plenty so there’s no way you can call him irreplaceable, he has to be replaced in season all the time.  

I argued with a few of you a couple weeks ago that we are not the most "complete" team in the league. I got laughed at. But I think there are a mix of things going wrong with this team and instead of arguing over positional value I think we should be looking at the bigger picture. So I will break down every starting position and will break down some play calling decisions as well. This post I am more evaluating groups rather than individual players.

QB No issues. Josh is going to have games he struggles and when he does you hope the rest of your team will pick up.

Playmakers. RB's WR's TE's. I right now have no problem with our RB's. TE we are average at worst, and I am ok with that. I think for the line we have and getting making deadline changes we are fine. WR position is become more of an issue for me, and we need to get better here. Davis has had 1 great game last year in playoffs and has not lived up to what we thought he would turn out to be. Davis needs more time to just get better. Though Diggs has some breakaway speed, I feel we are missing that deep threat speed on the other side that is going to make safety's scratch their head and wonder what way to cover deep and when someone does break it deep it either takes to long of a progression or the biggest problem on the team lets us down. 

Offensive Line. I swear 2-3 of these guys do not start on a large chunk of teams in the NFL. There is a balance of great playmakers and an offensive line. For me the right recipe for having a bad offensive line is a good recipe for Receivers... Example Diggs, Smoke and Beasley. Because we no longer have that mix of speed, short distance rout running and long-distance rout running... the line is going to look ever worse than it is. May I remind you of a dude named Peyton Manning. Till he had a healthy mix of solid offensive line and weapons they struggled. 3 out of his first 4 years he could not win more than 10 games a year cause of a horrible offensive line.

This line is HORRIBLE outside of our LT and C.

Offensive Coaching. This is borderline annoying for me because I really like our OC but for every great play call he is making a drive, I feel he is making 2 knucklehead calls a drive. Draw plays on second down. Second down and long you can just tell a short play call was made. I feel JA is trying to hard on drives that do not have a chance. Settling for FG's in the redzone instead of forcing the QB into making long play decisions against teams like the Jets is bad decision. Josh is not god. There has to be situational awareness in our play calling and I feel we lack it at times.

Offensive side of the ball. New OC, Bad mix of playmakers to offensive line ratio. The line can't be fixed but there are some fixes in our future. I have been an OBJ hater for years BUT... If he still has that amazing straight-line speed and solid rout running IF he passes all health concerns. To make up for things I think we need to look at Hines and Cook more going deep routs and grabbing Safety's attention more often even if as a decoy for shorter stuff to be wider open, then so be it. DONT hit the panic button yet. (next year if we do not invest heavy on offensive line in draft ima gunna be upset) (and not mid round picks either....)

Defensive side of the ball. I am not going to reach into this "bag of tricks" we all darn well know if healthy we the best defensive unit in the league. PERIOD. We have been forced to ask backups to do way to much for 7 games.  We need Tre back... We need Milano back. We need Poyer back. End of story. The pressure put on this DC do to injuries, is immense.

In short? we can rip on every position being replaceable or replaceable all day long. Welcome to loosing Mondays. I normally avoid the forums like the plague on days like this but,,, I just wanted to get this out there and thought this was the best thread to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

>.>

I think i've been clear in other threads he's played horribly. Let me phrase this in a way you'll more easily understand:

Do you think the offense would function more efficiently with a better #2 wideout and a competent running game so that 17 doesn't have to be perfect every week?

Or, do you think it's more valuable to continue to waste capital on DE/DT/CB year in and year out?

I’d lean towards the issue being that no one is stepping up as the third receiving option. Diggs and Davis used to get shut down for stretches during games, but Beasley and Knox stepped up and won their 1 on 1’s to either move the chains or hit a big play. This season Allen has resorted to RB dump offs instead which haven’t been as effective/consistent. Say what you want about Beasley, but he excelled at making catches at the sticks when the game got tough. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d lean towards the issue being that no one is stepping up as the third receiving option. Diggs and Davis used to get shut down for stretches during games, but Beasley and Knox stepped up and won their 1 on 1’s to either move the chains or hit a big play. This season Allen has resorted to RB dump offs instead which haven’t been as effective/consistent. Say what you want about Beasley, but he excelled at making catches at the sticks when the game got tough. 

Agree completely. Beasley was a HUGE outlet for Josh.

Was hoping Shakir would take over there but McDermott has him squarely in the dog house

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

A possible answer. But he's got some injury concerns, hasn't had a full season yet 

This is true if any team … r.g. Name 4 players in the Chiefs or any other team that are not replaceable. 

I also think that Groot may get there soon. Losing him for the second half hurt

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You went doom and gloom last year.  

yeah, I did, and in retrospect was wrong.

This year I won't predict total collapse. But I won't pretend I like their philosophy when it comes to giving all premium draft selections to the defense, nor will I lie about what I think about some of the more over-rated players on this roster here on TSW.

2 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Why not title this with something more fitting than "an honest question"?

I'll make sure to consult with you next time, ok?

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

yeah, I did, and in retrospect was wrong.

This year I won't predict total collapse. But I won't pretend I like their philosophy when it comes to giving all premium draft selections to the defense, nor will I lie about what I think about some of the more over-rated players on this roster here on TSW.

Every year we have a bad stretch...every year.

The Bills beat the Chiefs, Titans and Ravens who are all on top of their division.  Nothing said.

We lose to the Jets...all of a sudden we have a terrible roster and everyone but two can be replaced.

If that's really the case, McDermott is an unbelievable coach because he's won two consecutive division titles with only 2 good players.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Every year we have a bad stretch...every year.

The Bills beat the Chiefs, Titans and Ravens who are all on top of their division.  Nothing said.

We lose to the Jets...all of a sudden we have a terrible roster and everyone but two can be replaced.

If that's really the case, McDermott is an unbelievable coach because he's won two consecutive division titles with only 2 good players.

Ok, guy.

So then you tell me who else is irreplaceable on the team outside of those two. Who else's loss would sink the season?

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Ok, guy.

So then you tell me who else is irreplaceable on the team outside of those two. Who else's loss would sink the season?

It doesn't matter what player I give, you'll argue against it.  But every time you argue against it, you're arguing that McDermott is an excellent coach.

If a coach can win divisions with a roster that only has 2 good players, he's great.  

Top to bottom, this is a very good roster and consensus top 3 in the league.

Why didn't you create this thread after we beat the Chiefs, Titans and Ravens?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Who in this team outside of Josh Allen couldn't be replaced?

Stefon Diggs?

I can't come up with too many other names, and that's troubling. I'm starting to look at beane and McDermott like I do James Franklin. That is to say, they're guys who were able to resurrect a dead program, but I'm afraid they're incapable of actually elevating the program to the pinnacle.

Can you name any other players on the roster who aren't easily replaceable? 

An honest question...how much time do you give them? I mean, I'm in my 24th season as a very respected head coach. Some on TBD would actually prefer me as your HC 😂. It took me 6 years to get to my 1st SB and McDermott is in year 6. It took another 15 years to finally win a SB. And that was after 7 years in KC. In my first 5 years as an NFL coach, my record was 51-29, while McDermott had a 49-32 record. That's 1 SB trophy in 23 seasons and you want to call for McDermott's head?!? Unless you're Bill Belichick, WTH are we talking about here? 

Sincerely,

Andy Reid 

• Like (+1) 1

Disagree 2,3,4. Can maybe see a case for 1,5. But the only one I'll solidly agree on is tre white 

I'm not saying i disagree bcuz we know how good a player Tre is.

But we've literally replaced his play with 2 rookie cb's in week 1, so we evidently can replace him & still be okay

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

An honest question...how much time do you give them? I mean, I'm in my 24th season as a very respected head coach. Some on TBD would actually prefer me as your HC 😂. It took me 6 years to get to my 1st SB and McDermott is in year 6. It took another 15 years to finally win a SB. And that was after 7 years in KC. In my first 5 years as an NFL coach, my record was 51-29, while McDermott had a 49-32 record. That's 1 SB trophy in 23 seasons and you want to call for McDermott's head?!? Unless you're Bill Belichick, WTH are we talking about here? 

Sincerely,

Andy Reid 

The fact that we are 6-2 with a terrible roster is actually really impressive of McDermott.

Who in this team outside of Josh Allen couldn't be replaced?

Stefon Diggs?

I can't come up with too many other names, and that's troubling. I'm starting to look at beane and McDermott like I do James Franklin. That is to say, they're guys who were able to resurrect a dead program, but I'm afraid they're incapable of actually elevating the program to the pinnacle.

Can you name any other players on the roster who aren't easily replaceable? 

Your thead is way off in its reasoning IMO.  Maybe you should look at it from the concept of a "team".  The team wins and the team loses.

Josh could be replaced with a player like Mahomes.  Every player on every team could be replaced with another player.

It's about winning with the "team" that you have.

A GM gathers the players, the coaches plan the way the team plays, and the players go out onto the field and play the game.

Yesterday was a perfect example on how a team can win and a team can lose.  The Jets outplayed the Bills as a team.

The Bills lost because they did not play up to their potential.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.