An honest question...

Pine Barrens Mafia

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I think it's pretty clear Morse is.

If we get a much MUCH better performance from 17 than we've seen the past couple weeks, you have a point.

But when he's off, there's no one to help win.

Yea because he threw THE BALL TO THE OTHER TEAM! How do you help that! We win if he does not, trade Allen now! He is replaceable, you want to rip all the other players for playing poorly but not Josh?

You guys are over the top, Chiefs lost to Indy a few weeks back, they probably should replace Kelce?

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is true of many teams. What are the Chiefs without Mahomes and Kelce? A fairly average NFL team. 

And you can make a very good case that Tyreek Hill was not replaceable. They win that game last night easily if he’s in the lineup. 
But overall, that’s right. The QB and maybe one key receiver are the only pieces that can’t be replaced, as long as the GM has time to do it. 

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Who in this team outside of Josh Allen couldn't be replaced?

Stefon Diggs?

I can't come up with too many other names, and that's troubling. I'm starting to look at beane and McDermott like I do James Franklin. That is to say, they're guys who were able to resurrect a dead program, but I'm afraid they're incapable of actually elevating the program to the pinnacle.

Can you name any other players on the roster who aren't easily replaceable? 

Two of them weren't on the field yesterday

Poyer

Milano

I'd also like to know what you mean by "replaceable", in its usage it seems like one of those terms that get defined in a specific way and then a lot of talk goes on before figuring out that the people arguing are discussing it differently

What does "replaceable" mean to you?

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This isn't about just starters on D being out.  

The Offense allowed 5 sacks, 2 ints 2 fumbles (recovered), 18 catches for 183 yards.  

They were up 14-3 with 6:30 left in the second Q and would only score 3 more points the rest of the way.

We also have a lot of starters on the "O" the are out.

Just now, Flucod said:

Yea because he threw THE BALL TO THE OTHER TEAM! How do you help that! We win if he does not, trade Allen now! He is replaceable, you want to rip all the other players for playing poorly but not Josh?

You guys are over the top, Chiefs lost to Indy a few weeks back, they probably should replace Kelce?

>.>

I think i've been clear in other threads he's played horribly. Let me phrase this in a way you'll more easily understand:

Do you think the offense would function more efficiently with a better #2 wideout and a competent running game so that 17 doesn't have to be perfect every week?

Or, do you think it's more valuable to continue to waste capital on DE/DT/CB year in and year out?

19 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I mean, yeah, maybe. We were just humiliated pretty handily by an inferior team who in turn was humiliated by an even WORSE team the week prior.

Think they win this week against a much better team than the Jets?

I have realized the Jets are not as inferior as maybe we thought. And secondly again, we have beaten the 5-3 Titans, 5-3 Ravens and 6-2 Chiefs. All division leaders. What makes you think we couldn't beat a better Jets team?

Just now, Beck Water said:

Two of them weren't on the field yesterday

Poyer

Milano

I'd also like to know what you mean by "replaceable", in its usage it seems like one of those terms that get defined in a specific way and then a lot of talk goes on before figuring out that the people arguing are discussing it differently

What does "replaceable" mean to you?

I mean who else besides Diggs and Allen can this team go a protracted stretch without and still function properly.

Certain players are irreplaceable. Some not so much.

An example:

Would this team's season be sunk if one of the DTs goes out injured for the year? Doubt it.

Would this season be over if Diggs was lost for the year? Absolutely.

The Bills have managed to win most of their games with injuries to White, MIlano, Edmunds, Poyer, and several others missing games.

They have the ability to win games without some of these players - the proof is in the pudding.  Next man up has been successful. The challenge the Bills have been facing is not just one or two top tier players missing, but five or six, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. We have backup's backups playing.

Josh has been able to get them through it for the most part, but he had an off day - he acknowledged it.

Maybe the time change messed with him. It's the same time-change weekend when they had an away game and a huge upset by Jacksonville last year.

It's the cumulative affect of so many injuries that's causing concern. The Ravens went through this last year and missed the playoffs completely.

And yet the Bills have managed to lose only 2 games by a total of 5 points and are still top seed in the conference at this time. 

I'm not concerned.  If they can get Poyer, Milano, and a healthy White back on the same field, they'll get their groove back. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So I have asked this a couple times. How easy it is to replace an All Pro Safet, Top 10 LT,DT and LBer

Replacing an All Pro is not easy, but the rest of those rankings are in you head, Oliver is not even CLOSE to top 10 at DT, Milano though good, is only thought of that highly in Buffalo, and Glenn isn’t a top 10 LT either. 

10 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Well Maj, we could've had some top quality offensive linemen instead of drafting the likes of Epenesa, Basham. You have to agree with this. 

Sure I can play hindsight. 

Basham, Yep I probably would take Creed Humphrey over Basham at this point, granted that means Morse would be gone so younger at the position but likely a wash in terms of improvement on the OL.

Epenesa I dont think I would take Ezra Cleveland over him though.

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Replacing an All Pro is not easy, but the rest of those rankings are in you head, Oliver is not even CLOSE to top 10 at DT, Milano though good, is only thought of that highly in Buffalo, and Glenn isn’t a top 10 LT either. 

Oliver is a Top 10 DT

Milano is also a Top LBer you hear it very week

Glenn is not a Bill but you are correct here

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I mean who else besides Diggs and Allen can this team go a protracted stretch without and still function properly.

Certain players are irreplaceable. Some not so much.

An example:

Would this team's season be sunk if one of the DTs goes out injured for the year? Doubt it.

Would this season be over if Diggs was lost for the year? Absolutely.

I see.  So partly that's a function of depth vs. the "star power" (for want of a better word) of the player in question.

For example, we wagered that Davis would step up and grow into a #2 WR.  Instead, and with plenty of targets, he's maintaining about the same productivity as he had as a #3/backup #2 WR and it's scary to think of Diggs going down.  We wagered that platooning Crowder + McKenzie would roughly equal Beasley of last year, then Crowder broke his leg.

I would say this season, Dawkins, Morse.

On defense, one of {Poyer, Hyde}, Milano, one of {White, Jackson}.  Defense has gotten the lions share of the FA and draft resources the last couple years IMO, and Frazier/McDermott have a "whole greater than the sum of its parts" philosophy there so it's harder to single out a guy, but there was a clear drop off IMO in the games where we had neither Poyer nor Hyde, and when we didn't have Jackson but White still on PUP so starting 2 rookies.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I see.  So partly that's a function of depth vs. the "star power" (for want of a better word) of the player in question.

For example, we wagered that Davis would step up and grow into a #2 WR.  Instead, and with plenty of targets, he's maintaining about the same productivity as he had as a #3/backup #2 WR and it's scary to think of Diggs going down.  We wagered that platooning Crowder + McKenzie would roughly equal Beasley of last year, then Crowder broke his leg.

I would say this season, Dawkins, Morse.

On defense, one of {Poyer, Hyde}, Milano, one of {White, Jackson}.  Defense has gotten the lions share of the FA and draft resources the last couple years IMO, and Frazier/McDermott have a "whole greater than the sum of its parts" philosophy there so it's harder to single out a guy, but there was a clear drop off IMO in the games where we had neither Poyer nor Hyde, and when we didn't have Jackson but White still on PUP so starting 2 rookies.

Exactly. They've played fast and loose with the offense. I don't like that one bit. WHY they do it is a whole other question.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

You should. Because he is. 

Have they?  I seem to see safeties getting beat a ton and the secondary being out of position a lot with no Hyde. 

Ed Oliver is a top 10DT

a LBer that plays balls out every play is gonna get nicked. It is football. 

Hate to say this, but I fully expect our first rounder in 2023 to be a safety.

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Hate to say this, but I fully expect our first rounder in 2023 to be a safety.

More premium Assets into the Defense.  I agree with you that is what McD needs to have his defense.  Heck with the OL or Josh's weapons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.