It Just FEELS as Though Buffalo Lost A Lot more Than the Game Yesterday

BuffaloBaumer

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

The thing that worries me is our lack of offensive weapons.  When I look around the league, especially at the other tops teams, I see rosters stocked with offensive talent.   Outside of Diggs, the Bills are a bit bereft.    I still think Knox can help in this instance, but Dorsey needs to start scheming things up to get him involved.   

Thats my main worry right now.   Last year when the Bills were slumping it felt different, Knox was catching TDs, Beasley despite looking older was still great on 3rd downs, and Davis was doing a much better job of catching the ball.  Right now I feel like the Bills have no identity on offense outside of throwing to Diggs and Josh running.   They are missing Daboll's creativity right now.   If Knox and McKenzie are non-existent, Dorsey has to scheme things up to get them involved.

Our main offensive weapon is and always has been Allen,,,and Diggs.  That's it.  We go how Allen goes, and Diggs performs well when Allen is cooking.  Otherwise, Gabe is lightning in a bottle once in a while and no one else scares the opponents.  

Just now, zow2 said:

I get it.. And if it weren't for the pain of being 0-2 in the division maybe this isn't a terrible thing.  The Bills had long winning streaks against Miami and NYJ snapped.  It's not normal to be defeating your division foes that often in a row.  It was inevitable... and now the revenge factor will be on Buffalo's side in the rematches and possibly playoffs.  Doesn't mean an automatic W, but it will ramp up the Bills intensity against these teams big time.

I would hope so. If the Bills can't bring the intensity against their main rivals, then that falls on McDermott. Especially now since the AFCE is a pretty tough division. There are no cupcakes in the AFCE. NE is in last place with a winning record.

• Like (+1) 1

Losing to two division rivals (Jets and Dolphins) is really awful, but what is worse is the hope and confidence that we have provided to both of these teams. They know they can beat us now, and all of the pressure will be on the Bills to beat them when we see them in Buffalo.  The way that we lost yesterday also hurts.  There is nothing more demoralizing as a fan than having your team battered by long rushes by average running backs and seeing huge holes opened up on your defense on a constant basis.  Even worse, the Jets were playing back up players on their o-line because of injuries.

Edited by jahnyc

52 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I think people are just tired of having the Bills do Billsy things and pulling the rug out. Mostly just disappointment from a good team underwhelming when they shouldn’t be. Gabe Davis and particularly McKenzie have been soul crushers lately and it sucks. 

it's a lousy loss.  the bills weren't going to dominate every game this season.  it just depends how they work through this.  

I think that fans get conditioned to winning OR losing rather quickly. For example:

1) After decades of the Bills losing, I was expecting to lose almost every game. When Stevie Johnson dropped the game winning pass, who here was shocked? I didn't say angry LOL! I said "shocked."  Be honest folks, when the Chiefs came back in the playoffs, how many of you we just so surprised? Now, we have a team with considerable talent and a QB who (imo) is a first ballot HOFer if he stays healthy. He might stay healthy too if we draft more blockers and less secondary but I digress.

Now that the Bills are a winning team, losing a game (even on the road to a hot divisional rival) is shocking.

2) I am, and have been a lifelong Crimson Tide Fan. They are just another good team this season. Their main weaknesses? You guessed it.....wide receiver and of course the Offensive Line! Does this sound familiar? The Tide already has 2 losses this year and it is unsettling because of their history of greatness. 

My point? With Josh Allen, and the fact that pro football is of course a passing oriented sport, it was easy to start thinking about the Bills as "winners." The good news? We ARE now winners as long as Josh stays healthy, and he probably will if he runs less and is given more support in terms of blocking and receiving weapons.

I made a small bet in Vegas on the Bills to win the Super Bowl and I expect to cash it after we do in fact win it all.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Losing to two division rivals (Jets and Dolphins) is really awful, but what is worse is the hope and confidence that we have provided to both of these teams. They know they can beat us now, and all of the pressure will be on the Bills to beat them when we see them in Buffalo.  The way that we lost yesterday also hurts.  There is nothing more demoralizing as a fan than having your team battered by long rushes by average running backs and seeing huge holes opened up on your defense on a constant basis.  Even worse, the Jets were playing back up players on their o-line because of injuries.

i don't think this has much to do with anything.  the pats beat the bills in the first meeting last year and we all knew what happened after that.  the bills didn't help themselves out in these two losses.  

Some of you have no memory whatsoever.

This happens every season under McDermott.........starting with the epic mid-season collapse in 2017............whatever it is,  he fails to push the right buttons and they play bad football for about a month or so.

Doesn't feel different in the least.

Past two weeks have been lousy, unfocused efforts.    Lucky to come out of it 1-1 given that neither opponent was 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars bad.  

If they were a road warrior playoff team it wouldn't matter.........because he usually has them tuned back up for the finish...........but he's 0-4 on the road in the playoffs so it would behoove the McBeane regime to figure out how to bypass the mid-season vacation this team takes every year.    

You could hear his understanding of this ongoing issue in his postgame last night.   All 5 years that they've been competitive(save 2018 when they were terrible at the outset and never in contention) under McDermott the same thing has happened at the same point of each season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

For me, I am terrified that our invincible QB has gone back to his old ways and that is a pretty scary thought. For the last 2 years, I suppose I never thought that Allen would be the reason we ever lost a game (especially one like yesterday). Although Mahomes is not always perfect, he is never the reason the Chiefs lose a game here or there. Keeping the 1 seed is a distance 2nd place in my list of concerns when compared to how Allen responds the rest of the season. In a nutshell, it just sucks when the Bills vibe is sucked dry on a Monday and today it just seems as though everything has changed moving forward. The Vikings game can't get here soon enough to prove me wrong...

Week 3 of this year: Chiefs lose to Colts 17-20. 

Pat Mahomes: 20/35 262 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

It happens to him and every other QB.

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Everyone needs to calm the hell down.  The Jets are an improving team.  The Bills are banged up.  If the Bills get healthy and play up to potential they are still the team to beat in the AFC.  If the injuries continue to mount it will be a lost season due to injury not talent.  

It’s much less about what the loss means about the bills and a lot more about having to play on the road in the playoffs. 

two division losses now. One more and they may need to go through arrowhead AGAIN 

I have not seen Allen that pissed at a post-game presser since maybe that NE game where he fed their DBs quite the feast.

Disappointed yes, but steaming mad and just wanting to shred something, not in a while.

I do not give Allen a pass but do lay a good portion of this fail on Dorsey and Frazier for poor game plans. Sure, there was poor execution, but Dorsey went into the game as if our OL could hold up for a long count against the Jets DL. Cannot count how many times Allen got hit or OL players were forklifted into his lap. Even Morse who is a pretty good center was getting bull rushed into his lap.

Dorsey needed to scheme the ball coming out faster, and we needed to keep pounding the rock. You cannot always just play "your game" you have to adjust enough to create better matchups against different opponents. The net result of "the plan" yesterday was Allen "feeling the rush" and being out of sync with his receivers and timing and making mistakes with the ball.

I think we are coming into a true test of Dorsey as an OC vs Dorsey as a mentor in the QB room... hopefully just growing pains and he will figure things out, game plan better, and make better adjustments to what the defense is doing on game day.

McD knows that the defense is now getting shredded with runs outside the tackles and knows that needs to change. It needed to change after the GB game. A lot still comes back to players taking bad angles and missing tackles, but those things need to be corrected. Our defense cannot allow teams to run the ball with a green QB who is prone to mistakes or chew up the clock and move the chains while keeping our offense on the bench.

There is a lot of hurt pride, but we will see if this team is able to bounce back.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

No Breece Hall either. No matter how the season plays out Beane has some work to do. OL, another playmaker on offense to help Diggs, DL as they need to get bigger and tougher at the LOS. Still, this is a 6-2 football team. We have a good team, but they rely on Josh to do more than he should. Beane needs to get him some more help.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, teef said:

it's a lousy loss.  the bills weren't going to dominate every game this season.  it just depends how they work through this.  

If they cant win every week 70-3 why are we even watching :)

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This happens every season under McDermott.........starting with the epic mid-season collapse in 2017............whatever it is,  he fails to push the right buttons and they play bad football for about a month or so.

Past two weeks have been lousy, unfocused efforts.    Lucky to come out of it 1-1 given that neither opponent was 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars bad.  

If they were a road warrior playoff team it wouldn't matter.........because he usually has them tuned back up for the finish...........but he's 0-4 on the road in the playoffs so it would behoove the McBeane regime to figure out how to bypass the mid-season vacation this team takes every year.    

You could hear his understanding of this ongoing issue in his postgame last night.   All 5 years that they've been competitive(save 2018 when they were terrible at the outset and never in contention) under McDermott the same thing has happened at the same point of each season.

Which is a major red flag with McD. Most teams come out of the bye better yet virtually every season minus 2020 the Bills come out going through the motions. It is to the point it has cost them for years now and if he cannot clean this up maybe the time comes in a year or two to replace him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i get it, but that's not necessarily how these long seasons work.  we've seen teams struggle for periods only to right the ship and gain steam.  we just have to hope it all lines up with the start of the playoffs.  we'll see.

it is early in the season. I agree with you. It's all about peaking at the perfect time. To me that means as healthy as possible and all cylinders running smoothly when it truly matters. The playoff run. To borrow a phrase I used earlier today: No way do our Bills fold like a cheap suit this season. They are made with much finer material than that.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing that sucks here is 0-2 in the division. We were always going to lose games and 6-2 really is a nice record. At worst they need to beat the Fish and Jets at home and split with NE. Of course, I hope they sweep NE but 4-2 will be a challenge now

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The difference being this season everyone said they’re a shoe-in for the Super Bowl. They’re not. They’re the same team that slumped last year and the same team that gaffed their season away in 13 seconds. It was always going to be an uphill climb.

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Davis could have made the play on 4th and 21 it was a makeable play but that isn't a gimme play either. The fact is our oline failing in game on the line situations is now a pattern that you can simply not ignore. They didn't do enough last offseason. I said it then, I repeat it now. However this season ultimately ends I want the offensive line to be the absolute priority area for upgrades next offseason. Not borderline starters like Quess and Bates or total has beens like Saffold. 

If they make OL a heavy focus this offseason, obviously I'm fine with that. But we have examples like the Chiefs where they spent heavily on the OL and still aren't satisfied. And like every team we will have a bunch of other needs this offseason - possibly safety, WR, RB, LB. It's not as simple as pouring most of our available resources into the OL. If we do that we'll leave vulnerabilities elsewhere. I'd rather focus on adding more weapons and running a passable scheme around the players we have.

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think we are coming into a true test of Dorsey as an OC vs Dorsey as a mentor in the QB room... hopefully just growing pains and he will figure things out, game plan better, and make better adjustments to what the defense is doing on game day

I agree, this is Dorseys first true test as an OC. Up until the 2nd half against GB Buffalo was having their way with teams and the only thing stopping them was self inflicted mistakes. The last 6 quarters have not only had mistakes but they have had true issues moving the ball as teams have sat with 7 in coverage while pass rushers have gotten home. Dorsey should've realized calling some plays like screens, quick slants.. etc. easy stuff would help take some of the pressure away. But when you were humming as well as the offense has for the first 6 and 1/12 games you sometimes get caught that you need to adjust faster. The Phins game they outgained and dominated the Phins in yards they just didn't close which happens. Yesterday was concerning for the lack of production. We shall see how long it takes for some answers to rise and fix these issues.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

This ^^^^.  Almost 50 years of die hard fandom and all I feel now is total stress.  I worry about losing every game, watching them physically gives my body bad reactions.  I don’t enjoy my Sundays anymore, even when they win. Sports is suppose to be a fun outlet, the NFL and the Bills are not.  It’s not the team or players fault, they haven’t felt or lived through what so many of us have.  So many of current fans, including my boys, haven’t felt or lived through almost any of it.  I’m grateful they don’t feel this sh*t like I do.

I JUST WANT 1.  Then I can and will move on.

I don't think that is healthy or normal. If football affects you so deeply, it might be best to take a break. Football is a game. It is supposed to entertain you.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Not since the Super Bowl year vs the Giants did have the feeling that Buffalo was the best team in the league, and it wasn't even close. Besides losing to an also injury depleted Jets team, most likely the #1 seed, as well a nice cushion in the division, the aura of this team since to have slipped away as well. I am not saying the attitudes of the players have changed, I am talking about people I know. Yes, Bills fans can overreact a ton after a loss, but this one feels different.

For me, I am terrified that our invincible QB has gone back to his old ways and that is a pretty scary thought. For the last 2 years, I suppose I never thought that Allen would be the reason we ever lost a game (especially one like yesterday). Although Mahomes is not always perfect, he is never the reason the Chiefs lose a game here or there. Keeping the 1 seed is a distance 2nd place in my list of concerns when compared to how Allen responds the rest of the season. In a nutshell, it just sucks when the Bills vibe is sucked dry on a Monday and today it just seems as though everything has changed moving forward. The Vikings game can't get here soon enough to prove me wrong...

Mahomes definitely was the reason they lost to the Colts.  2 crucial INT's.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think that is healthy or normal. If football affects you so deeply, it might be best to take a break. Football is a game. It is supposed to entertain you.

Right. The worst part is that he said after one SB he’ll be free to move on. What? That sounds like a very unhealthy relationship. Like you said, this is supposed to be fun and entertainment. If it’s not that for him, he needs to move on. 

Does it suck sometimes, sure. But that’s the price you pay for the good. If the good isn’t even good, I don’t see the point. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.