Knox lack of involvement

JMM

Obviously he's not on the level of a Kelce, and he had the tragedy with his brother in the beginning of the year. But I was very hopeful he would take the next step this year and be more involved.  He certainly has the athleticism to for instance get down the seam but you never see it. My question is this a scheme issue? For those that watch closely or have access to all 22 what routes is he running? Is he getting free release or are they holding him in to chip or block in support of the O line which is weak on the right side? It just seems to me this could take some pressure off of Josh and eventually open things up for the wrs as well.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

He's running the "I'm staying in to block because my oline sucks" routes

Is this even true?

People keep saying this but I would actually love some data around routes run vs. snap count. 

Trying not to be hard on Knox because his life is hard. But I don’t even know if this is true. 

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Is this even true?

People keep saying this but I would actually love some data around routes run vs. snap count. 

Trying not to be hard on Knox because his life is hard. But I don’t even know if this is true. 

Statistically, he has seen fewer targets (to this point) and a fewer target share percentage than last season. 

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Go look it up.

Thanks for adding so much to the conversation and being a reasonable human to a reasonable question. 

But sure, here you go. Knox is running routes on 5.6% less plays than he did in 2021. In the last 3 weeks his decline is less than 5% decrease in routes run. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/dawson-knox/#bio

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/snap-count-analysis/?team=BUF&snaps=10

Go find a more accurate hill to die on and stop being such a curmudgeon. Maybe you should have tried looking it up…

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Statistically, he has seen fewer targets (to this point) and a fewer target share percentage than last season. 

He isn’t running less routes though. Everybody keeps parroting that it’s because he’s blocking so much more….but he’s not. He’s just being targeted less. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Is this even true?

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Go look it up.

Prior to his injury he ran the 8th most routes of any TE in the league, that figure with injury and bye is still the 17th most in the league of any TE and hes run a route on 70% of the teams pass plays.

So he runs plenty, the blocking excuse is BS.

He's just not refined as a receiver and hasn't made any improvement.  On the INT today he's running vertical instead of horizontal when Allen rolls.  Fundamental breakdown.

The lack of development given his contract reward is terrifying. These type of deals are what land your cap in hot water. Gave him a pass for the first month, but need to produce, there's been zero development from last year. 

• Like (+1) 7

The contract extension was curious (given his production to date) and no bueno. I maintain it would’ve been smarter to wait until after the season to see how he fared in Dorsey’s offense, even if it meant a slightly higher dollar amount at the end, than paying him the 6th highest salary at the start of the league year. Wonder if Beane has any buyer’s remorse. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

All I know is he's not near as productive anymore.  He's averaging 2 catches & 26 yards per game. I know our OL sucks but 53M is alot to pay a blocker. 

Not to over correct. But he’s running routes at about the same rate as last season. 

2021: 75.4% of snaps he runs routes.

2022: 69.8% of snaps he runs routes. But 70.7% the last 3 weeks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Thanks for adding so much to the conversation and being a reasonable human to a reasonable question. 

But sure, here you go. Knox is running routes on 5.6% less plays than he did in 2021. In the last 3 weeks his decline is less than 5% decrease in routes run. 

Go find a more accurate hill to die on and stop being such a curmudgeon. Maybe you should have tried looking it up…

He isn’t running less routes though. Everybody keeps parroting that it’s because he’s blocking so much more….but he’s not. He’s just being targeted less. 

You could be right, but just based on watching (not reviewing every single game/play), it seems we are using Knox alot to chip & release.

Against Rams and Miami, they both rushed 5 or more, and definitely seemed like Knox stayed in to block (no release in those games).

Not sure how that site you reference accounts for chip/release, in terms of routes ran.  But bottom line is Knox definitely can be a mismatch, and we're not seeming to utilize/execute plays to him.

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

fair enough.

Additionally I will add that his yards per catch and yards before catch are lower this season as well, which theoretically could be linked to him being asked to stay in and help out more before releasing into his route.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

You could be right, but just based on watching (not reviewing every single game/play), it seems we are using Knox alot to chip & release.

Against Rams and Miami, they both rushed 5 or more, and definitely seemed like Knox stayed in to block (no release in those games).

Not sure how that site you reference accounts for chip/release, in terms of routes ran.  But bottom line is Knox definitely can be a mismatch, and we're not seeming to utilize/execute plays to him.

He is on pace to have the second best year of his career. As Knox starts to get his feet back under him he’ll likely firmly cement himself as his second best year and push for his best year ever.

The issue is his contract. His historical production didn’t warrant the value. We’ve never run an offense that relied on TE. 

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think it's a function of scheming, yes.  If someone is going to say "We need to get Knox more involved as a receiver," it would almost have to be Dorsey, and plays/routes would need to be designed to effect that goal.

Now, if Knox started running a bunch of pass routes but could never get open such that Josh never throws him the ball, that would be on Knox.  I do not think that's predominantly been the case though.

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not to over correct. But he’s running routes at about the same rate as last season. 

2021: 75.4% of snaps he runs routes.

2022: 69.8% of snaps he runs routes. But 70.7% the last 3 weeks. 

a consideration and I’m not sure it changes anything but a tight end may see large change in assignment with being in line and chipping a rusher first vs a route where they are split wide for instance. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I think it's a function of scheming, yes.  If someone is going to say "We need to get Knox more involved as a receiver," it would almost have to be Dorsey, and plays/routes would need to be designed to effect that goal.

Now, if Knox started running a bunch of pass routes but could never get open such that Josh never throws him the ball, that would be on Knox.  I do not think that's predominantly been the case though.

Im not trying to run the guy out of town. It is a tough year to judge any guy by their performance at work. 

I also don’t think you can judge the OC for a physically and emotionally bruised TE that has never actually been the guy fans are expecting him to be. 

I would have to put some blame on josh and Dorsey. He’s locked onto Diggs and nothing wrong with that. But he’s not willing to play the 10-15 yard part of the field unless it’s an RPO and it’s been a fail most times he throws to Davis on those. He’s 15+ down the field or running or throwing it to the backs. 
I haven’t watched close enough to know how many crossing routes are ran. It seems we have a lot more RPO this year and Knox is never involved for that as a receiver obviously. They are going to need to tweak some things. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.