The "non-interception" by Edmunds

Bermuda Triangle

TV coverage showed an angle with Edmunds down on the ground, and clearly solely possessing the ball.  The reactions of the officials was bizarre - almost like they were peeling off players from a post-fumble scrum.

Why did the off-field replay officials not call in?  

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/instant-replay/replay-assistance-rule/

• Agree 1

I thought it was likely an interception. Some people I was with thought it was unfathomable McD didn’t throw the flag.

I don’t know. Play was ruled jump ball and favor of the offense. The Jets got a play off in what seemed like 3 or 4 seconds from ruling to snap. CBS didn’t even show the third down play. 

Heads up play from the Jets on that one. Not a ton McD could have done there. 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I'm not very tech savvy, but there was a replay angle which clearly showed that Edmunds possessed the ball while down.  

There was eventually, but do you really trust an official to see it the way you do and overturn his teammate's call?

Enough to risk losing one of your second half timeouts, which we ultimately needed to even have a chance to win?

That one was close enough that I write it off and move on to the next play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

I’m not sure he had full control of the ball when he went to the ground.  The Jets Receiver clearly didn’t.   If anything, they could’ve ruled it incomplete.  To be honest, if he had full control, you could argue the Jets player wouldn’t have been able to wrestle control.  But since Edmunds has zero ball skills, I’m not surprised at all he didn’t come out of the pile with the ball.  

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

TV coverage showed an angle with Edmunds down on the ground, and clearly solely possessing the ball.  The reactions of the officials was bizarre - almost like they were peeling off players from a post-fumble scrum.

Why did the off-field replay officials not call in?  

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/instant-replay/replay-assistance-rule/

I don’t get the off-field review…when do they decide something is obvious enough that they should step in? When are coaches expected to challenge, vs getting an obvious overturn by the refs. It just offers more ambiguity in the NFLs already sketchy officiating. They need to get rid of that, or make it more transparent. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

There was eventually, but do you really trust an official to see it the way you do and overturn his teammate's call?

Enough to risk losing one of your second half timeouts, which we ultimately needed to even have a chance to win?

That one was close enough that I write it off and move on to the next play.

For a potential change in possession, I would have taken the chance.  

• Agree 5

It was close. As the two were falling to the ground, Edmunds had more control, not full control, but more than the Jets receiver. As they hit the turf the receiver had enough of the ball to get both hands in there for a simultaneous possession. If Edmunds had more of the ball he easily could’ve ripped full control away, but alas, either through dumb luck or lack of skill, his biggest critique strikes again - just can’t make the big plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I don’t get the off-field review…when do they decide something is obvious enough that they should step in? When are coaches expected to challenge, vs getting an obvious overturn by the refs. It just offers more ambiguity in the NFLs already sketchy officiating. They need to get rid of that, or make it more transparent. 

Totally agree - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when the off-field review is employed.

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I would agree with Simon above. I do think they stick with the call on the field. If it was ruled a pick I think it would have stood as well. 

By default, that back judge should have called it a pick so that it would automatically activate a review on a turnover.

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, Simon said:

By default, that back judge should have called it a pick so that it would automatically activate a review on a turnover.

Therein lies the problem - a turnover triggers an automatic review, but the refs sitting around with their thumbs up their asses and pretty much deciding "just give it to 'em", means that either the Bills had to have thrown a replay flag or the off-field review gets involved.

IMO, the standard for replay overturn is too stringent.  Change the "clear and convincing" standard to "preponderance".  

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I would have hoped that my 6'5" Pro Bowl linebacker wouldn't get out muscled for a ball he possessed on the ground.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Maybe next time he can just hold onto it and avoid the confusion.  

Ideally, yes, but the play unfolded as it did.

Along those same lines, it would have been nice if our "MVP" Quarterback didn't throw 2 more horrible INTs, or if the defense hadn't folded like a cheap accordion on the Jets last drive.  But, he did, and they did.

• Agree 1

Obviously was an interception. Like one poster pointed out, there was an angle showing Edmunds with full possession.

But honestly I’m more upset about the QB sneak where Wilson was obviously stopped. I have no idea why that was not challenged? That drive lead to a touchdown for the Jets.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.