Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

37 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

WR's outside of Diggs had 4 receptions total today.  0 targets in the 2nd half for Diggs outside of the phantom holding call.  That's a huge problem. 

Side note.  Bills are at midfield if that BS holding call isn't made.  

Is it possible that Diggs has talent the other guys on the roster don't have, in terms of being able to get open no matter the quality of the defense?

The Jets D is the best we have played this year.  I am guessing there were NOT a on of open receivers all day long.  

I don't know, b/c I watched the game on TV, and they choose NOT to show you what receivers are doing downfield, most of the time.

8 minutes ago, Governor said:

He’s having strength and velocity problems which tells me he either has an injured shoulder or arm and can’t feel how hard he’s throwing the ball due to painkillers, numbing, etc. 

Multiple interceptions were to receivers that were open but the ball was either thrown too light or took too long to get there. He’s lost control of his arm and strength.

Neither of the interceptions today were bad throws bc of his arm....both were bad throws because Josh didn't see the defense on one and it looks like a communication issue with davis on the 2nd where he cut outside instead of inside. Neither balls got away from Josh.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Wait, what?  I'm going to go look into that incident.  Didn't hear about it.

Yea take a look. It begins around the 59 minute mark. He's clearly uncomfortable/hot on the bus and you can tell he wants to get out of there. Finally he gets up mid interview and says he needs to get some air. He plays it off as if he's not feeling well, but I think he was having some type of claustrophobia episode where he wanted to get the hell off of that cramped and hot bus. He eventually comes back on fir a few more minutes and then abruptly leaves again, "saying he'll catch an uber".  

My main reason for bringing it up was those type of panic attacks are a sign that mentally things can go sideways on him sometimes.......and today on the field things just looked like they got really out of hand from him. I thought his lack of confidence and inability to let things rip was just really noticeable.

Just now, Estro said:

Yea take a look. It begins around the 59 minute mark. He's clearly uncomfortable/hot on the bus and you can tell he wants to get out of there. Finally he gets up mid interview and says he needs to get some air. He plays it off as if he's not feeling well, but I think he was having some type of claustrophobia episode where he wanted to get the hell off of that cramped and hot bus. He eventually comes back on fir a few more minutes and then abruptly leaves again, "saying he'll catch an uber".  

My main reason for bringing it up was those type of panic attacks are a sign that mentally things can go sideways on him sometimes.......and today on the field things just looked like they got really out of hand from him. I thought his lack of confidence and inability to let things rip was just really noticeable.

Bro...no

If you keep watching Kittle kind of chuckles after he leaves and says something like 'its his first time in Nashville'

He was just lit and wanted some air

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Wait, what?  I'm going to go look into that incident.  Didn't hear about it.

OK, I just found the interview and got to the point where Josh leaves the bus.

My take is this: Josh is hungover during taping and had to leave the bus to puke.  He was unable to puke, and then came back on the bus.

That's my interpretation of everything you can see/hear in the video.

Notice how the one guy is laughing when he hears Josh say something to him (inaudible to the mic) as he leaves the bus.  He didn't seem that concerned, then again, the 2 "hosts" are meat heads.

I think it was something like that.

Was there a conversation about this at TBD back when that interview was current?

What was everyone saying?

6 minutes ago, Estro said:

I wrote my "hangover theory" post above before seeing your reply.

A claustrophobia type thing might be the explanation, too.  It was like Josh had discussed that with the guys before they were shooting, so they kind of knew why he would be getting off the bus when he did.

The guy was like "everything OK?" and Josh said something you can't hear, and then he laughed.  Like Josh said "I gotta puke" off mic and the guy knew he drank too much the night before or something.

The other guy at that moment says "This is Josh's first time ever in Nashville" which I somehow interpreted to mean "Josh had TOO good of a time last night, drank way to much, and is feeling a bit under the weather today, that's why he left the bus to puke."

Maybe that's entirely wrong!  LOL I don't know.

I would not extrapolate ANY of this bus thing to Josh's playing.

Though having said that, Josh clearly has a "panic mode" which he enters now and again when things are going badly, and it's at those moments when he does absolutely INSANELY STUPID things that are out of character.

I guess he pukes before every game.  I just think he gets nervous, maybe to an extreme.

But I don't think it's nerves that cause him to have bad games; it's the opposing defense.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Is it possible that Diggs has talent the other guys on the roster don't have, in terms of being able to get open no matter the quality of the defense?

The Jets D is the best we have played this year.  I am guessing there were NOT a on of open receivers all day long.  

I don't know, b/c I watched the game on TV, and they choose NOT to show you what receivers are doing downfield, most of the time.

Davis has drawn the CB1 the last two weeks in a row. 

I don’t know if it means anything. I am certainly no film savant. But I do think it is a point worth noting since we’ve struggled in both. 

3 hours ago, Estro said:

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

I’ve never heard that before. I hope you’re remember wrong because that’s a bit scary.

3 hours ago, Estro said:

Teams,are going to have bad days, and today was a terrible day, so the loss doesn't devastate me as m7ch as the way Josh Allen has played over the last game and a half.

He seems lost, like rookie season loss. He's rarely hitting his bckfoot and letting it rip, which indicates he's either not see the field well or he's lacking confidence to just let it rip.

This post is to ask does anyone on this board have any insight into Allen's waning mental confidence. I remember earlier in his career himtakjing about actually sitting down with some type of psychologist orcoach who helped him with his confidence and how important that is to QBing. I believe he first mentioned it in the offseason after the Houston playoff loss.

Today it just looked like he had 0 confidence in himself and he looked he was in his head all day.  Really concerning that a major case of mental yips might be entering the picture right at the sane time he'll be dealing with an elbow injury.

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

How drunk were you when you wrote this?

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Thanks for sharing absolutely nothing 

Well, my "theory" is that Josh might just be worried about losing his new OC at the end of the season should the offense keep looking like world beaters with +10 point spreads every week. 

OR, 

Perhaps he is over thinking every play while attempting to make a something happen. I know he didn't want to lose to the NY Jets. Oh, how the Jets and their fans are now rejoicing! 

It's games like this one that makes me yearn for a power run game besides the QB. Pound the rock so well that you can make a first down running against any team. When the defense moves up to stop the run you can now throw over them. When the QB isn't throwing like an MVP, let him hand it off...

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Lucky we don’t define careers by single days in November 

About half the Tua fanboys here already crowned him on that single day in September against the Ravens.

Tua's playing good ball right now, but he still has the potential to get ragdolled out of any game any week. I'll still take the unicorn QB that runs over guys for fun.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

55% catch percentage for Davis? My goodness.

Davis currently has a 48.5 catch percentage. Shakir has a 46.2%.

Diggs has 75.3%, Knox 73.9. Singletary 76.7%, McKenzie 66.7%

Probably why Beane traded for Hines who has a 89.3% 28 targets, 25 receptions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.