Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

This is why so many say Mahomes is better. When Allen is bad he's really bad. Mahomes doesn't do this on an annual basis...

Earlier in the year, Mahomes threw at 57% for 260yrds with 1TD and 1 INT in a 20-17 loss against a far worse Colts team.

Quit making crap up to add to your already annoying crusade. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I think it’s more GB and NYJ got a ton of pressure on him and have the secondary to still have receivers blanketed. GB had the #1 pass D going into last week, and Jets have to be top 10 I would think.

I saw a graphic last week that it was the most pressured he’d been all year. Jets got pressure without blitzing which makes even the best QBs look bad (see Brady in the SB vs the Giants). I hope he isn’t concussed…

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Man… I have confidence he’s going to get back to his elite ways but these last six quarters have been some of the worst QB’ing I’ve seen .. never mind from an elite QB. 

The INTs are definitely some of Josh’s worst, although I remember much darker QB days than today.  Aside from the INTs, the pass protection seemed to be non-existent today, WRs were struggling to get open, and he had just about a 14 minute stretch today when his Defense couldn’t get him the ball back.  They all need to pick it up moving forward.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Earlier in the year, Mahomes threw at 57% for 260yrds with 1TD and 1 INT in a 20-17 loss against a far worse Colts team.

Quit making crap up to add to your already annoying crusade. 

Though the following week he threw three touchdowns against the Bucs. Josh looked very shaky in the fourth quarter against the Packers and compounded it at the Jets with very similar issues.

I wouldn’t swap Josh for Mahomes, as good as the latter is, but these games crop up more often for him than Mahomes in general.

And I really hope I have just jinxed Mahomes for tonight.

• Agree 2

Chiefs fans are loving how this loss looks for the Bills. Predictably they’re saying Allen is nowhere near Pat’s level. To me, Mahomie is far more consistent on a game to game basis, whereas when Allen is on, he’s at least Mahomes’s equal when Mahomes has his A+ game working.

The QB I saw today play for the Bills, I haven’t seen in quite some time. It’d be different if he was under duress play after play, but he often had time and was just missing open receivers, either through bad reads or bad throws. Hopefully he’s just as hungry and committed to the game now as he was during his late season/playoff surge and the beginning of this year.

The Super Bowl is out of question if he continues to play the way he did today.

• Agree 4

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Chiefs fans are loving how this loss looks for the Bills. Predictably they’re saying Allen is nowhere near Pat’s level. To me, Mahomie is far more consistent on a game to game basis, whereas when Allen is on, he’s at least Mahomes’s equal when Mahomes has his A+ game working.

The QB I saw today play for the Bills, I haven’t seen in quite some time. It’d be different if he was under duress play after play, but he often had time and was just missing open receivers, either through bad reads or bad throws. Hopefully he’s just as hungry and committed to the game now as he was during his late season/playoff surge and the beginning of this year.

The Super Bowl is out of question if he continues to play the way he did today.

The post season is out of the question if he continues to play the way he did today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Though the following week he threw three touchdowns against the Bucs. Josh looked very shaky in the fourth quarter against the Packers and compounded it at the Jets with very similar issues.

I wouldn’t swap Josh for Mahomes, as good as the latter is, but these games crop up more often for him than Mahomes in general.

And I really hope I have just jinxed Mahomes for tonight.

Re: Allen/Mahomes

Mahomes is more consistently good/great with an elite level only Allen can match

Allen has more ups and downs in the regular season, but his ceiling is literally unstoppable - beyond what any other QB is capable of 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I think fans are starting to project their own lack of confidence onto Allen. 

My suggestion? Go root for another team. Any team Carson Wentz is on, preferably. 

This is ridiculous. We all love Josh. Allen is the first to admit the game was on him. There's some questions there that are unanswered on what is going on with his decision making though no doubt.

32 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The oddest thing is he had appeared to get out of that - Rams, Titans, Chiefs, Ravens… take what’s given, dink and dunk, maintain possession. Then, in the fourth quarter of the Packers and today he seems to have regressed into being locked into one read and making big plays.

This seems to be the problem and something I worried about with Dorsey. They're both guys that want to hit the big play over and over. They got rolling with big plays and they seem to be trying to hit it at least once every 2-3 downs. Since they've ignored the run game.. and Josh's passes on short throws tend to be 'off' forcing the catcher to take time to catch them.. that's not an effective replacement for the running game. 

In addition, Allen seems to not be throwing with touch and gunning passes. It feels like he's trying way, way too hard. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He shook his head while on all fours after a hit early in the game.   I remember immediately being worried the refs would catch that. 

Got hit hard on a potential knockout hit against Green Bay. 

I wouldn’t dismiss that theory. 

Wonder how much of it is just these guys worried about getting hit - go a tad woozy - and you’re out this game and the next one because Miami.  

43 minutes ago, Estro said:

Teams,are going to have bad days, and today was a terrible day, so the loss doesn't devastate me as m7ch as the way Josh Allen has played over the last game and a half.

He seems lost, like rookie season loss. He's rarely hitting his bckfoot and letting it rip, which indicates he's either not see the field well or he's lacking confidence to just let it rip.

This post is to ask does anyone on this board have any insight into Allen's waning mental confidence. I remember earlier in his career himtakjing about actually sitting down with some type of psychologist orcoach who helped him with his confidence and how important that is to QBing. I believe he first mentioned it in the offseason after the Houston playoff loss.

Today it just looked like he had 0 confidence in himself and he looked he was in his head all day.  Really concerning that a major case of mental yips might be entering the picture right at the sane time he'll be dealing with an elbow injury.

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

Yes it's a well know syndrome called Quissenberydropitis  - It's brought on by a turnstile RT combined with dropped passes.  Move on...

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's overreaction Sunday. He's in a mini-swoon.  A VERY mini-swoon.  6 quarters.

But, if I had to guess:  I think the coaches were thinking like me, and some other fans. We're rolling - and the only thing that can derail us is if JA gets injured. I think they are over-coaching him, and he's thinking too much.

It has caused me to re-evaluate my own position.  Josh has to be Josh.  Let him play the game the way he wants to play the game.  He's at his best that way.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.