Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

Teams,are going to have bad days, and today was a terrible day, so the loss doesn't devastate me as m7ch as the way Josh Allen has played over the last game and a half.

He seems lost, like rookie season loss. He's rarely hitting his bckfoot and letting it rip, which indicates he's either not see the field well or he's lacking confidence to just let it rip.

This post is to ask does anyone on this board have any insight into Allen's waning mental confidence. I remember earlier in his career himtakjing about actually sitting down with some type of psychologist orcoach who helped him with his confidence and how important that is to QBing. I believe he first mentioned it in the offseason after the Houston playoff loss.

Today it just looked like he had 0 confidence in himself and he looked he was in his head all day.  Really concerning that a major case of mental yips might be entering the picture right at the sane time he'll be dealing with an elbow injury.

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Estro said:

Teams,are going to have bad days, and today was a terrible day, so the loss doesn't devastate me as m7ch as the way Josh Allen has played over the last game and a half.

He seems lost, like rookie season loss. He's rarely hitting his bckfoot and letting it rip, which indicates he's either not see the field well or he's lacking confidence to just let it rip.

This post is to ask does anyone on this board have any insight into Allen's waning mental confidence. I remember earlier in his career himtakjing about actually sitting down with some type of psychologist orcoach who helped him with his confidence and how important that is to QBing. I believe he first mentioned it in the offseason after the Houston playoff loss.

Today it just looked like he had 0 confidence in himself and he looked he was in his head all day.  Really concerning that a major case of mental yips might be entering the picture right at the sane time he'll be dealing with an elbow injury.

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

Hes shows a lot of emotion in his face. 

Blank stare, heavy breathing Allen isn’t ideal. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Estro said:

Someone elsewhere thinks he's secretly concussed 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

I think Allen has got to a point where things have been so easy for him for so long that he kind of has brought this on himself. He doesn't make adjustments when the OLine isn't doing as well, he still wants to push the ball downfield and thinks he can just run around and make up for it.

We needed the Rams game Josh Allen today and he wanted to be the Steelers game Josh Allen.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He shook his head while on all fours after a hit early in the game.   I remember immediately being worried the refs would catch that. 

Got hit hard on a potential knockout hit against Green Bay. 

I wouldn’t dismiss that theory. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

Just now, Big Turk said:

I think Allen has got to a point where things have been so easy for him for so long that he kind of has brought this on himself. He doesn't make adjustments when the OLine isn't doing as well, he still wants to push the ball downfield and thinks he can just run around and make up for it.

The oddest thing is he had appeared to get out of that - Rams, Titans, Chiefs, Ravens… take what’s given, dink and dunk, maintain possession. Then, in the fourth quarter of the Packers and today he seems to have regressed into being locked into one read and making big plays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Or...we just played 2 of the better secondaries in the NFL in back to back weeks.  Jets D is one of the best units in the NFL right now with very good corners and a nasty front 7.

So maybe we shouldn't panic just yet...defenders get paid to make plays too.  Josh had an off game, the whole offense was out of sync again in the 2nd half.  

We lost to the Jags last year and then set NFL playoff records on offense.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, SCBills said:

He shook his head while on all fours after a hit early in the game.   I remember immediately being worried the refs would catch that. 

Got hit hard on a potential knockout hit against Green Bay. 

I wouldn’t dismiss that theory. 

Me either. He looks like Nathan Peterman 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Or...we just played 2 of the better secondaries in the NFL in back to back weeks.  Jets D is one of the best units in the NFL right now with very good corners and a nasty front 7.

So maybe we shouldn't panic just yet...defenders get paid to make plays too.  Josh had an off game, the whole offense was out of sync again in the 2nd half.  

Josh wasn't just bad.

The WR were even worse 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, UKBillFan said:

The oddest thing is he had appeared to get out of that - Rams, Titans, Chiefs, Ravens… take what’s given, dink and dunk, maintain possession. Then, in the fourth quarter of the Packers and today he seems to have regressed into being locked into one read and making big plays.

Yeah, it's really inexplicable...like the few big plays early in those games have deterred him from wanting to take the short throws. It's like he is like "they'll be there all game" and he refuses to take the easy throws he is being given.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

The guy came into the week the heavy favorite for league MVP, throws a couple boneheaded INTs, is under attack all day when he’s lucky enough to even have the ball.  He’s going to rebound just fine. Did he look to have a lack of confidence in his two TD runs?

Man… I have confidence he’s going to get back to his elite ways but these last six quarters have been some of the worst QB’ing I’ve seen .. never mind from an elite QB. 

Thankfully, just like the run Defense issues, we’ve seen this get corrected. (Jax last year)

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Are we sure these are mental yips?

Didn't Josh say that for the first time he didn’t do anything this offseason other than let his body rest?

If that’s the case, should we be shocked at consistency if at the mid-way point? Especially for a QB that has had to work so hard to change mechanics in the relatively recent past? 

• Dislike 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Man… I have confidence he’s going to get back to his elite ways but these last six quarters have been some of the worst QB’ing I’ve seen .. never mind from an elite QB. 

If it was Tua we’d be saying he’s reverting to type. If it was Mac Jones we’d be laughing our heads off. If it was Wilson we’d be stating it was no surprise. But as it’s Josh…

14 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I think he was against the packers. He took a couple hard hits running last week. Ever since then he’s looked off big time. Today was more of the same. Bad decisions, bad throws, etc 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nobody is saying they can’t or wont fix it. But they are definitely off. Allen definitely looks BAD. The worst he’s looked since about year 2 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

This is why so many say Mahomes is better. When Allen is bad he's really bad. Mahomes doesn't do this on an annual basis...

Josh and Mahomes have similar ceilings but the latter’s floor is much higher. I thought Josh had closed the difference in terms of the floor but he hasn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.