Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

55 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I don’t expect Allen to play this week. Let him rest for a week or 2. This is why you signed a Vet back up. 

Yeah this is what I would do. BUT most likely there goes playoff home field advantage.  Unless Keenum splits 2 games

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Isn't today when they start practicing for the Vikings. If you see Keenum getting all the reps with the starters, then that's probably a good indication he plays. Although Allen may not practice this week anyway even if he does play Sunday. So, who knows what's going to happen.

I think Rappaport on his latest report said  he will be limited but Doing some throwing. They want to see he how well he is gripping the football, how it responds through the week. 

I would think if Josh is able to do any of that and being the competitor he is will do his best to convince Mcd he is good to go Sunday. Mcd May think otherwise. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Isn't today when they start practicing for the Vikings. If you see Keenum getting all the reps with the starters, then that's probably a good indication he plays. Although Allen may not practice this week anyway even if he does play Sunday. So, who knows what's going to happen.

I'd fully expect him to take them all regardless...Allen won't throw the ball much this week even if he is playing and that will be a theme for rest of year.  

I think we're really splitting hairs here. 

If he needed Tommy John surgery, someone would have broken that story by now, so the UCL is not ruptured. 

The reporting has been consistent on this from the beginning. He has a sprain of the UCL and nerve, and it is believed he can work through the injury. 

I do remember 2018, and he was ruled out immediately, there was no talk of him playing through it. Out of the game, and out for 4-weeks. 

The only detail we don't have a ton on, IMO, is can he make it worse by throwing on it? 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

If it's just an aggravating "play thru" injury with no chance of long-term issues, I wouldn't object to him playing against the Vikings and then backing up Keenum / resting until the Pats game on 12/1. Should be to able to beat the Browns/Lions with solid D and Keenum.

just like we should beat the Jets without Poyer, White and Milano? You want him to play Sunday then sit for 2 games? 

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If he needed Tommy John surgery, someone would have broken that story by now, so the UCL is not ruptured. 

The reporting has been consistent on this from the beginning. He has a sprain of the UCL and nerve, and it is believed he can work through the injury. 

I do remember 2018, and he was ruled out immediately, there was no talk of him playing through it. Out of the game, and out for 4-weeks. 

The only detail we don't have a ton on, IMO, is can he make it worse by throwing on it? 

That surgery would only be the case in a full rupture situation for NFL QBs.

Clearly that wasn't the case because he would have been in serious pain after the play and would have had to come out of the game.

Common sense is a thing. You cannot throw a ball 70 yards if you need Tommy John Surgery.

25 minutes ago, Greg S said:

We're not going to see that. 

The press is only allowed to see part of the practice, seems like usually stretching and some of the position drills. 

What you're gonna see is a comment on Josh being on the sideline vs. out there throwing, and it wouldn't surprise me if they shoo the reporters out of the building prior to any QB throwing drills. 

McDermott will announce that he's "day to day" with an elbow, and that's about all we'll get.

I actually kind of noted that we didn't see any video of Allen throwing to WR last week.  We did earlier in the season, but I haven't been paying enough attention to know if that's fallen off for weeks or just last week.

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

just like we should beat the Jets without Poyer, White and Milano? You want him to play Sunday then sit for 2 games? 

Well, we should have beaten the Jets.  Without those 2 INTs, don't you think there's a high probability that we would have?

Edited by Beck Water

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

this is my biggest question too.  if he can play less than 100% and not make it worse, so be it.  if there's any chance of him making this worse, i personally would just sit him and take our chances. i just want josh at 100% going into the playoffs, if that's even possible.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We're not going to see that. 

The press is only allowed to see part of the practice, seems like usually stretching and some of the position drills. 

What you're gonna see is a comment on Josh being on the sideline vs. out there throwing, and it wouldn't surprise me if they shoo the reporters out of the building prior to any QB throwing drills. 

McDermott will announce that he's "day to day" with an elbow, and that's about all we'll get.

I actually kind of noted that we didn't see any video of Allen throwing to WR last week.  We did earlier in the season, but I haven't been paying enough attention to know if that's fallen off for weeks or just last week.

Well, we should have beaten the Jets.  Without those 2 INTs, don't you think there's a high probability that we would have?

Both the Bills losses have been frustrating. 

On the goal line against Miami and couldn't get the ball into the end zone. 

And the Jets, 14-3 lead and stalled the rest of the game, with the same old issues popping up again - OLine specifically RT, no #2 WR, no running game to help, no Dawson Knox, no Shakir on the field. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, teef said:

this is my biggest question too.  if he can play less than 100% and not make it worse, so be it.  if there's any chance of him making this worse, i personally would just sit him and take our chances. i just want josh at 100% going into the playoffs, if that's even possible.

It’s really hard to injure your arm throwing a football.  The stress put on your arm from throwing a baseball is completely different. Can’t imagine there’s a risk of making it worse other than the normal risks you take every time you got out on a football field. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Gene1973 said:

I've read that depending on the type of tear, he can indeed tear it more by throwing. However, not sure if thay applies only to throwing a baseball...

It's a toss up between Gene Okerlund and Gene Hackman as the best Gene's....sorry you didn't make the cut.  

If Allen has a tear in the degree where it could get worse, he won't play.  If he doesn't, he will play.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

From what I understand, I don't think him throwing the ball would cause it to get worse.  However, I have heard that another hit could make it worse, which is obviously understandable.  I don't think him throwing 30 times a game will slowly cause the UCL to fully tear.  It just won't have the time to fully heal in a reasonable amount of time (as opposed to sitting him down for a few weeks).

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I've read that depending on the type of tear, he can indeed tear it more by throwing. However, not sure if thay applies only to throwing a baseball...

it's so hard to even speculate at this point.  my assumption is that he'll likely sit.  this staff tends to be more on the cautious side, and if it's for a couple of game, i'm more than ok with that.  going into the playoffs with this team as healthy as possible would be my priority.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s really hard to injure your arm throwing a football.  The stress put on your arm from throwing a baseball is completely different. Can’t imagine there’s a risk of making it worse other than the normal risks you take every time you got out on a football field. 

i didn't know this.  

Just now, BillyBilliams said:

From what I understand, I don't think him throwing the ball would cause it to get worse.  However, I have heard that another hit could make it worse, which is obviously understandable.  I don't think him throwing 30 times a game will slowly cause the UCL to fully tear.  It just won't have the time to fully heal in a reasonable amount of time (as opposed to sitting him down for a few weeks).

this also makes sense, which is why i would error on the side of sitting him out.  i just have no idea how long that would be. 2 games vs 6 games or the year?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.