Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

Would you rather have Keenum starting than Edwards, Losman, Taylor, Manuel, Lewis, Thigpen, Orton, Holcomb, Van Pelt, Brohm, Tuel, Cassel, Peterman and Anderson? 

I think the only other QBs from the last 20 years I’d pick over Keenum to start would be Bledsoe or Fitzpatrick 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It does show for all the talking that people did about the Bills fantastic training programme and facilities and the correlation to their injury record the past couple of seasons the reality is that even if you are leading edge sports science wise etc there is always an element of luck involved in staying relatively injury free. 

This year the bug has bitten the Bills well and truly. So frustrating because I think fully healthy this is the best team in football. 

That is the worst part of it all...the luck.  Everyone is always nervous about Allen getting injured because of his running, but he ends up hurt doing the most quarterbacky thing ever by just throwing from the pocket (same with his 2018 injury, although the way it was injured then was different (helmet strike I believe)).

The luck factor has really effed the Bills so far this season.  Every team has injuries, but not all injuries are created equal (i.e. losing a defensive lineman vs. losing a Hyde or Poyer in a defense like ours).  Just seems the Bills have not only been bitten hard by the injury bug, but the players injured are so much of the significance.  

28 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I don’t expect Allen to play this week. Let him rest for a week or 2. This is why you signed a Vet back up. 

rest for a week or 2? What if he can play? Sounds like when Hyde went out...we'll be ok...Poyer hurt...rest him...we need him for playoffs. Sit Tre, we need him for the playoffs. We need our best players every week to win games to get to the playoffs. Our division is tight

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Exactly!  Beane's done a remarkable job overall building this roster.   But I continue to be puzzled why he doesn't get better bodyguards for his MVP.

Agree.  IMO it is because they think Allen can mask the OL deficiencies. It has been and still is a flawed strategy by McD and BB.  Dumpster diving for UFA OL is nothing but shuffling the Titantic deck chairs. 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It does show for all the talking that people did about the Bills fantastic training programme and facilities and the correlation to their injury record the past couple of seasons the reality is that even if you are leading edge sports science wise etc there is always an element of luck involved in staying relatively injury free. 

This year the bug has bitten the Bills well and truly. So frustrating because I think fully healthy this is the best team in football. 

Yeah luck definitely plays a big part, especially with things like ankle injuries, which the vast majority of these are.

The sports science part helps mostly to avoid muscle strains and sprains like hamstrings

8 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Want to believe this, but... on the pass before the 70-yard bomb, it sure seemed like whatever he was dealing with had clearly impacted the throw.

If you watched what Allen was doing when he was massaging his arm after the hit, it looked more like he was trying to get feeling back in his arm than he was in actual pain. I would guess that throw was impacted by loss of feeling more than anything.

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

rest for a week or 2? What if he can play? Sounds like when Hyde went out...we'll be ok...Poyer hurt...rest him...we need him for playoffs. Sit Tre, we need him for the playoffs. We need our best players every week to win games to get to the playoffs. Our division is tight

Without much fanfare the Bills will be heading to December 0-2 in the Division while the Fins and Jets are 2-1 and even on total wins... meanwhile Allen not doing great.  I would say the urgency is a 10 out of 10 for all hands on deck to play.  It's not written on sacred tablets that the Bills are gonna make the playoffs.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, this is a grade 2, so there is a partial tear. Not a grade 1 that just means the ligament is stretched. A partial tear isn't healing itself throwing on it all the time. So at the very least it needs the sort of rest and rehab that can't happen in season. In most cases I'd imagine for someone who throws for a living the belt and braces approach would be surgery to repair. I don't think we will see Josh at his best the rest of the way in 2022.

Two things:

First, it's been correctly pointed out upthread by several people that people who throw for a living are not all the same.  Baseball pitchers get Tommy John for UCL injury.  Football QB usually don't.

Second, in 2018, Josh sustained a Grade 2 tear to his throwing elbow which sidelined him for 4 weeks, and most observers felt his throwing was better later that season.  He did not have surgery.

Of course, it's a fair point that 0 weeks off and 4 weeks off is a big difference.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1. I read Rapsheet differently. He said "sprain (slight tear)." That is the definition of a grade 2 injury to a ligament. Grade 1 is a sprain. Grade 2 is a sprain and partial tear. Grade 3 is torn ligament. So while this is not the worst case scenario, it also isn't the best case scenario. 

2. Yes, surgery is speculation. They could choose just to rest, a partial tear can heal on its own. But when an individual uses that ligament in their everyday life then in my experience (again it is soccer more than football so leg more than knee) they generally go belt and braces and repair surgically. 

Okay probably was an overstatement. It AT LEAST needs proper rest that it won't get in season and it might need surgery. I just don't see a way we get an uncompromised Josh Allen the rest of the year. 

Wording is important, and Rapsheet never said "slight tear".  He started by saying sprain, then slid in "tiny tear".  To me that's different as he was not reporting a tear, but a sprain.  

See the post above from Ian this am.  No mention of tear, just sprain.  Which as you said, and I agree with, there are variations...could be a tear, could just be "stretched" ligaments. 

Bottom line, let's not get all "doomsday" that Josh Allen will be compromise for remainder of season, like you said.  Maybe he sits out this week, maybe he guts it out.  It sounds more like a pain tolerance thing to me right now, as the Bills wouldn't be putting Allen out there with any risk of "tearing"/or making injury worse.  So to me it will be a positive if he's trying to play thru it, like reported, and likely pain tolerance.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, eball said:

Well, if there is any silver lining to this injury, while it heals it may force Josh to take the “easy stuff” teams are giving him rather than continue to force the ball downfield.

Sorry, no silver lining here.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Agree.  IMO it is because they think Allen can mask the OL deficiencies. It has been and still is a flawed strategy by McD and BB.  Dumpster diving for UFA OL is nothing but shuffling the Titantic deck chairs. 

Oh, and I forget…Kromer was going to turn garbage into gold. 

• Like (+1) 2

If it's just an aggravating "play thru" injury with no chance of long-term issues, I wouldn't object to him playing against the Vikings and then backing up Keenum / resting until the Pats game on 12/1. Should be to able to beat the Browns/Lions with solid D and Keenum.

Edited by Roy Hobbs

27 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Would you rather have Keenum starting than Edwards, Losman, Taylor, Manuel, Lewis, Thigpen, Orton, Holcomb, Van Pelt, Brohm, Tuel, Cassel, Peterman and Anderson? 

I think the only other QBs from the last 20 years I’d pick over Keenum to start would be Bledsoe or Fitzpatrick 

Orton did OK as a QB.  Unsure about Bledsoe unless we get to pick the vintage, like a wine.

Isn't today when they start practicing for the Vikings. If you see Keenum getting all the reps with the starters, then that's probably a good indication he plays. Although Allen may not practice this week anyway even if he does play Sunday. So, who knows what's going to happen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.