Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1. I read Rapsheet differently. He said "sprain (slight tear)." That is the definition of a grade 2 injury to a ligament. Grade 1 is a sprain. Grade 2 is a sprain and partial tear. Grade 3 is torn ligament. So while this is not the worst case scenario, it also isn't the best case scenario. 

2. Yes, surgery is speculation. They could choose just to rest, a partial tear can heal on its own. But when an individual uses that ligament in their everyday life then in my experience (again it is soccer more than football so leg more than knee) they generally go belt and braces and repair surgically. 

Okay probably was an overstatement. It AT LEAST needs proper rest that it won't get in season and it might need surgery. I just don't see a way we get an uncompromised Josh Allen the rest of the year. 

Lol, GTFO.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a torn UCL even a relatively minor tear is likely to affect Josh's play moving forward. And I don't think we can win a Superbowl with a compromised Josh Allen.

Maybe I am being too defeatist. But to my mind our Superbowl hopes are basically done. Not saying we won't win another game or anything but he probably needs surgery and rest to be at his best and that is not happening until the offseason

That’s what happens when you don’t protect your quarterback.  Josh can only survive so long when he’s facing jailbreaks on half of his drop backs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Hard to know really. Like I said, Josh was a different thrower of the ball in 2018 and a different QB in general. I don't recall thinking he was limited throwing, ie couldn't make the throws, back then. Though that's just my memory. 

All the whispers seem to indicate this is less severe than 2018? 

Not to mention the poster is talking like Josh is a pitcher and this is a tear based on overuse.  Totally different injuries and throwing motion.  

He will miss 1 game max and play thru it as long as they deal it can't get worse. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1. I read Rapsheet differently. He said "sprain (slight tear)." That is the definition of a grade 2 injury to a ligament. Grade 1 is a sprain. Grade 2 is a sprain and partial tear. Grade 3 is torn ligament. So while this is not the worst case scenario, it also isn't the best case scenario. 

2. Yes, surgery is speculation. They could choose just to rest, a partial tear can heal on its own. But when an individual uses that ligament in their everyday life then in my experience (again it is soccer more than football so leg more than knee) they generally go belt and braces and repair surgically. 

Okay probably was an overstatement. It AT LEAST needs proper rest that it won't get in season and it might need surgery. I just don't see a way we get an uncompromised Josh Allen the rest of the year. 

If you think Diggs tweeted "rejoice" last night because Josh is done, I've got some swampland to sell you.  Diggs and Allen are so tight.  Have a little faith.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s what happens when you don’t protect your quarterback.  Josh can only survive so long when he’s facing jailbreaks on half of his drop backs.

Agree. 

6 minutes ago, Casey D said:

If you think Diggs tweeted "rejoice" last night because Josh is done, I've got some swampland to sell you.  Diggs and Allen are so tight.  Have a little faith.

I don't think Josh is done. Where did I say that? I think Josh will probably not miss a game. The question is whether it compromises performance. Maybe I am just in a very pessimistic mood but I can't see how it doesn't. 

8 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Not to mention the poster is talking like Josh is a pitcher and this is a tear based on overuse.  Totally different injuries and throwing motion.  

He will miss 1 game max and play thru it as long as they deal it can't get worse. 

I have not suggested he will miss any games. I worry that it will compromise him from here out though. And I don't think we can win a Superbowl with a compromised Josh Allen. Our offense is too reliant on him. 

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

Exactly!  Beane's done a remarkable job overall building this roster.   But I continue to be puzzled why he doesn't get better bodyguards for his MVP.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Josh is done. Where did I say that? I think Josh will probably not miss a game. The question is whether it compromises performance. Maybe I am just in a very pessimistic mood but I can't see how it doesn't. 

I have not suggested he will miss any games. I worry that it will compromise him from here out though. And I don't think we can win a Superbowl with a compromised Josh Allen. Our offense is too reliant on him. 

Well, if there is any silver lining to this injury, while it heals it may force Josh to take the “easy stuff” teams are giving him rather than continue to force the ball downfield.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Well, if there is any silver lining to this injury, while it heals it may force Josh to take the “easy stuff” teams are giving him rather than continue to force the ball downfield.

Unless defenses adjust and take away the short stuff, if they know (again this is an assumption based on injury status) Allen's deeper throws won't have the same velocity or accuracy on them.

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Unless defenses adjust and take away the short stuff, if they know (again this is an assumption based on injury status) Allen's deeper throws won't have the same velocity or accuracy on them.

Well, right after he was hurt, he did throw a ball 70 yards in the air that hit Gabe Davis in the hands. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I don’t expect Allen to play this week. Let him rest for a week or 2. This is why you signed a Vet back up. 

I think this is what will happen also. Keenum can win games. The Bills really need the OL and Singletary to step up to help out Case and the passing game. I still think the Bills win this week. The entire teams knows it will have to step up. Run the ball effectively, use play action with the short passing game with a few deep shots thrown in. The defense needs to regain its early season form. The Vikings are good, but I still think that 7-1 record is a paper tiger. Except for the fish they really haven't beaten anyone. Buffalo can claim wins at LAR, BAL, KC with a home win over TEN.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Yeah true.  I would imagine there is more tenderness and swelling now though compared to 5 minutes after the injury.

I’m hoping they can shoot him up with some cortisone or something, but I’m no doctor (one of very few non-doctors on TBD), so I’m not even sure that would help. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I predict the team will let his status play out until game time or at least Friday. They will want the Vikes to have to prepare for two stylistically different QBs. 

My worry is that McD will slow play this like he does with all injuries, even if the rest is not completely necessary.  Now I'm not trying to say there is evidence that McD has held players out that were completely healthy, but I've seen comments from some players this year that if the game they were sitting was the playoffs they would be playing.

It does show for all the talking that people did about the Bills fantastic training programme and facilities and the correlation to their injury record the past couple of seasons the reality is that even if you are leading edge sports science wise etc there is always an element of luck involved in staying relatively injury free. 

This year the bug has bitten the Bills well and truly. So frustrating because I think fully healthy this is the best team in football. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.