Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

From someone who claims he was given info by someone in the know...

Allen has partial UCL tear, cannot get worse by playing and is expected that he will practice and play through it taking pain killing injections as needed. Essentially just a pain management situation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lifewithmikey52/status/1590088706018668547

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen has partial UCL tear, cannot get worse by playing and is expected that he will practice and play through it taking pain killing injections as needed. Essentially just a pain management situation.

His picture is familiar….is he on the Bills staff?

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Someone asked if he was going to need surgery at some point and he responded "I don't know, this is literally all I was given".

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea because we just take random tweets for facts now 

Combined with Diggs tweet and the bionic Allen tweet by another person who seemingly has solid info it seemed more believable, and based on seeing him throw a ball 70 yards with no visible pain reaction afterwards, actually likely.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Really was hoping for stretch and no tear. Second time in 4 years he's torn that, not good.

Stretch can be even worse...my friend had a stretched ACL and needed the same surgery as if he tore it. Doctors told him it would have healed fine if it was a partial tear but once it's stretched it won't go back to normal.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There seem to be a lot of those around.  

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not calling anyone a liar, but how can a partial tear not get any worse?  Can’t a partial tear turn into a full tear?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Not calling anyone a liar, but how can a partial tear not get any worse?  Can’t a partial tear turn into a full tear?

Bryce Harper partially tore his UCL and wasn't able to play the field and throw the rest of the year. I'm sure this will be fine though. It's not like our stadium is built on a burial ground or something....

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Bryce Harper partially tore his UCL and wasn't able to play the field and throw the rest of the year. I'm sure this will be fine though. It's not like our stadium is built on a burial ground or something....

As someone with a history degree and big on local history those are absolutely wives tales

There are Indian burial grounds in Buffalo but they are for the most part marked and absolutely not at the Ralph site 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Process said:

Is a tiny tear something that would need surgery eventually or would it just heal on its own?

I'll start by saying I'm not an orthopedic physician, but educated research/past facts:

1. Rapaport saying "tiny tear", may or may not be true first off.  He might have been told sprain, but this could be stretching of the ligament and various grades.

2. Surgery: Josh healed and didn't require surgery with his grade 2 UCL sprain from 2018.  Every injury is different, but I'd guess he'd heal w/o surgery

Will see what McDermott says tomorrow, and keep an eye on injury report for Josh's participation in practice this week.  If this is truly a pain mgt thing, I'm betting on Josh playing this week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

It's unlikely because the UCL is not really used much in throwing a football, he would have to be hit the same way again in the same area 

10 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Different sports, different throwing motions. Partial also covers a very wide range of damage, from very little to significant, it's not a one size fits all type diagnosis.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Process said:

Is a tiny tear something that would need surgery eventually or would it just heal on its own?

Probably not. Technically anytime you strain(muscle) or sprain(ligament/tendon) something, by definition it's a small tear. Not many players get surgery for minor strains/sprains.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There have been pitchers that have continued to throw after ucl sprains/small tears. Tanaka kept going with seemingly no issue. Dinelson Lamet has not been the same since his injury and has not had it repaired. Degrom allowed his to heal in the off-season and was throwing as hard as ever.

It seems to be hit or miss and is likely a pain management situation as mentioned previously. Its not great but could be worse, thankfully he doesn't have to throw with max effort 100+ times per game. 

Edited by itaos

Just let him rest this week. I feel like we will play inspired ball at home and morale will be good knowing he should be ok

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Probably not. Technically anytime you strain(muscle) or sprain(ligament/tendon) something, by definition it's a small tear. Not many players get surgery for minor strains/sprains.

Ok but how worrisome is it that it’s the second time it’s happened now? 

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Exactly 

there are 3 grades to a ucl injury 

grade 1-stretch 

grade 2- minor tear

grade 3- complete tear 

Since the wear on an elbow , Is not the same for a football quarterback and it is a baseball pitcher… With physical therapy and shots he should be good without surgery through grade 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.