Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

53 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If it was just pain it’s easy.  There is risk of worsening the injury.   Those drs don’t think it’s severe but they think it need some healing time to reduce the risk of a more severe injury.   McDermott talked about common sense.   That will prevail.  

But those doctors have no information about the actual injury. They haven't seen x-rays. They haven't evaluated Allen. All they have to go on is the game footage.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I guess, I just think if Allen was going to start and play, that means they think his elbow is fine. Why waste one of the 3 times you can elevate Barkley?

Agree they aren't wasting a P/S elevation, can't recall Coach doing that ever.  Only if Josh is truly a GTD.

I think alot of the "finalizing" of gameplanning/offensive play scripting is done on Saturdays.  IMO, they know if Josh is playing or not,if Barkley is called up then Josh is sitting...Coach isn't trying to play mindgames, like some are alluding to.

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I guess, I just think if Allen was going to start and play, that means they think his elbow is fine. Why waste one of the 3 times you can elevate Barkley?

If we have to elevate Barkley more than 3 times over the final 9 games we have bigger problems. Unless they are 100% confident Allen can play tomorrow, and there is no indication that they are, Barkley will be elevated. It doesn't mean for sure that Allen is going to be out, it's just the smart thing to do.

35 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I haven't read through any of this 112 page thread but I am about to be one of "those guys".

My brother lives in SLO county in California and ran into Allen's cousin at the local Costco. According to Allen's cousin, Allen is out for at least two weeks, possibly three.

Take it for what it's worth. Even if this information was from an even closer relative like his brother or father I would realize that things can always change rapidly for the better or worst with an injury.  I do believe the injury is day to day, not so much hour to hour like McDermott said, so things could change and maybe he only ends up missing one game. If there is an ounce of credibility in what my brother was told there would seem to be zero chance Allen suits up tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

I originally predicted three weeks and I’m sticking with that.

I think they’ll continue the “day to day” declaration the whole time, but they know that his arm needs rest in order to heal properly.

The short week before the Lions game clinches the three week timeline, IMO.

They traded for Keenum. They believe in him. They’ll hope to go at least 2-1 while Allen heals, and QB1 will retake the field for the three game AFCE stretch.

Flame away, but that’s what I envision happening 

giphy.gif

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

But those doctors have no information about the actual injury. They haven't seen x-rays. They haven't evaluated Allen. All they have to go on is the game footage.

Right it is speculation but it’s more informed than the average Joe.  How is any of that different than what you are going on?   The difference is they have a 

18 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Still think we will know by 4pm today if they elevate Barkley off the practice squad. 

They wouldn’t allow Allen to be the backup, if there’s no chance he can play. You wouldn’t risk him being forced into action.

Barkley is getting elevated.

That's not an indication of whether Allen plays or not. And for all those decrying the "why would we waste a PS call up???" ... how often are we calling up PS players and how would this be a waste?

If Allen can play Barkley would just be inactive and it wouldn't be a wasted spot, anyway 

37 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I haven't read through any of this 112 page thread but I am about to be one of "those guys".

My brother lives in SLO county in California and ran into Allen's cousin at the local Costco. According to Allen's cousin, Allen is out for at least two weeks, possibly three.

Take it for what it's worth. Even if this information was from an even closer relative like his brother or father I would realize that things can always change rapidly for the better or worst with an injury.  I do believe the injury is day to day, not so much hour to hour like McDermott said, so things could change and maybe he only ends up missing one game. If there is an ounce of credibility in what my brother was told there would seem to be zero chance Allen suits up tomorrow. 

You know what I always wonder with these stories, how did your brother know it was Josh Allen's cousin? Does the guy walk around with a big sign around his neck announcing his familial relationship to an NFL star? Is he well known as Josh Allen's cousin around town? Enlighten me.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If we have to elevate Barkley more than 3 times over the final 9 games we have bigger problems. Unless they are 100% confident Allen can play tomorrow, and there is no indication that they are, Barkley will be elevated. It doesn't mean for sure that Allen is going to be out, it's just the smart thing to do.

Right I don’t think it means he’s out but I think it’s more telling to where the injury is at.

If the elbow is good to go, there is no need to activate him. So if they don’t, that’s a good sign he’s playing. If they do, I think it’s much more in doubt.

4 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Do you think this thread would have gone 110+ pages if people didn’t think that? If he definitely wasn’t going to play wouldn’t he have been ruled out already? 

No. The Bills know they can mess with the Vikings with his status more than any other position so they are taking advantage. 

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's not an indication of whether Allen plays or not. And for all those decrying the "why would we waste a PS call up???" ... how often are we calling up PS players and how would this be a waste?

If Allen can play Barkley would just be inactive and it wouldn't be a wasted spot, anyway 

Sorry but they don’t activate Barkey every week. If Josh’s elbow is fine and he can play, there is literally no reason to activate him.

And you can say precaution but again, Allen could be injured any week and Barkley isn’t active. 

If they activate Barkley, Allen is less likely to play. If they don’t, he’s playing. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You know what I always wonder with these stories, how did your brother know it was Josh Allen's cousin? Does the guy walk around with a big sign around his neck announcing his familial relationship to an NFL star? Is he well known as Josh Allen's cousin around town? Enlighten me.

Haha. Had the same exact thought.

And then also thought, does Allen share his health with the whole family? Or just immediate family and then they leak it out?

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

One thing being overlooked is we only have 2 P/S callup per week:

1. DL: I definitely expect us to elevate a DL for tomorrow, either Zimmer/Ankou/Love.  I'm fairly certain we have dressed 9 DL for each game this season.  

2. CB: this will be another tell on Tre's status tomorrow.  Elam is very unlikely to play, so it's either Tre or a P/S callup (Rhodes/Ingram).

I'm hopeful Tre is ready, which would give flexibility to elevate Barkley as insurance (like you said).  But we might not have that luxury, and haven't seen anyone bring up that point.

Meaning, if we elevate Barkley and a CB...it was likely due to "need", and point even more toward Allen sitting it out.  If its a DL/Barkley, then I see it as a possibility for Allen to play still.

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Sorry but they don’t activate Barkey every week. If Josh’s elbow is fine and he can play, there is literally no reason to activate him.

And you can say precaution but again, Allen could be injured any week and Barkley isn’t active. 

If they activate Barkley, Allen is less likely to play. If they don’t, he’s playing. 

If they don't activate Barkley we can all rejoice because we know Allen isn't merely playing but is close to 100%.

However, if they do activate Barkley it really doesn't say anything about Allen's status other than what we already know: that he may or may not play.

You guys are acting like the PS elevation should be treated like a precious gem. And frankly... activating Barkley despite an Allen who is expected , but not certain to start, is extremely valuable.

Here I am now wishing my Saturday would go by faster just to get past all this nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

If they don't activate Barkley we can all rejoice because we know Allen isn't merely playing but is close to 100%.

However, if they do activate Barkley it really doesn't say anything about Allen's status other than what we already know: that he may or may not play.

You guys are acting like the PS elevation should be treated like a precious gem. And frankly... activating Barkley despite an Allen who is expected , but not certain to start, is extremely valuable.

Here I am now wishing my Saturday would go by faster just to get past all this nonsense.

There’s nothing nonsense about it. 

They have injuries elsewhere with Poyer/Rosseau not playing and the possibility of Elam not playing.

They only get 2 PS elevations. They may need an extra DL and possibly a CB if Tre still isn’t ready to go.

Playing games and wasting that spot on Barkley, if Allen is fine, makes no sense.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good question. We asked my brother the same thing. 

Allen’s cousin was wearing an Allentown shirt. I have the exact same shirt actually.

so natural Bills conversation started.

keep in mind. Out here in California if you come across anyone wearing Bills gear conversation always follows. It’s not like western New York.

14 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

There’s nothing nonsense about it. 

They have injuries elsewhere with Poyer/Rosseau not playing and the possibility of Elam not playing.

They only get 2 PS elevations. They may need an extra DL and possibly a CB if Tre still isn’t ready to go.

Playing games and wasting that spot on Barkley, if Allen is fine, makes no sense.

Elam is already listed as OUT.

31 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Right it is speculation but it’s more informed than the average Joe.  How is any of that different than what you are going on?   The difference is they have a 

I'm going on what McDermott has been saying and what the team has done. He said day to day and even said hour to hour. And then Allen practiced on Friday. Allen is questionable for the game, not doubtful. Everything from the Bills shows Allen is close to being ready to play. Doesn't mean he will, but this doesn't seem like a multi-week thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

I'm going on what McDermott has been saying and what the team has done. He said day to day and even said hour to hour. And then Allen practiced on Friday. Allen is questionable for the game, not doubtful. Everything from the Bills shows Allen is close to being ready to play. Doesn't mean he will, but this doesn't seem like a multi-week thing.

He's not close.  Plan on him being out 2-3 weeks.  It's been reported by people yesterday.  People don't want to hear it.  McD is just playing around at this point.

1 minute ago, Flucod said:

JA will be playing, he was throwing during practice on Friday without a brace or sleeve. No way they let him do that if he was not playing.

Nobody saw him throw

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.