Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

13 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

There is no longer a "doubtful" designation. There is "questionable" and "out". And, of course Josh is currently questionable. Looked for the link to show the rules, couldn't find it. But, I know I heard it on WGR the other day and looking at the injury report, those are the only two used anywhere so I'm quite sure it's correct.

Think you are confused.

The designation the NFL got rid of was “probable.” Pre 2017 there were 4 designations a teams could use:  probable, questionable, doubtful, out. Belichick used to be the master of the probable designation, to keep teams guessing. 

Now teams only have 3 designations to use but doubtful is definitely still one.

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf

6 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Something I’ve been wondering over the past day or so.

How would the Vikes  preparing to have to face Allen, then in reality on gameday facing Keenum, put them at a disadvantage?  Are there really a ton of new wrinkles that we’re going to be able to have in our playbook now?

To me that’s like studying really hard for an advanced physics exam in college and then the actual exam is 5 open-book questions where you can plug and chug simple numbers into Newton’s Law.  Okay, maybe not THAT extreme, but still.

Well, if you are scheming for Allen you probably are prepared to spy him. That's a useless defender if Allen doesn't play. So you, as the spy, prepared all week to spy Josh Allen, and now you are being asked to do something else. Likely, you prepared for both, but having your attention divided does not help.

That's one example. I'm sure there are others. Another thing is you don't really have much film on him with the Bills, so you have to go back to film from previous years on other teams.

All in all, though, you would absolutely choose to face Keenum regardless of the slight disadvantages that come from not knowing if Allen is going to play or not.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Something I’ve been wondering over the past day or so.

How would the Vikes  preparing to have to face Allen, then in reality on gameday facing Keenum, put them at a disadvantage?  Are there really a ton of new wrinkles that we’re going to be able to have in our playbook now?

To me that’s like studying really hard for an advanced physics exam in college and then the actual exam is 5 open-book questions where you can plug and chug simple numbers into Newton’s Law.  Okay, maybe not THAT extreme, but still.

Preparing for two different types of QBs takes extra time in practice and game planning. It’s a different game plan when you have a Qb like Allen to prepare for . Of course they would rather have Keenum.  

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Preparing for two different types of QBs takes extra time in practice and game planning. It’s a different game plan when you have a Qb like Allen to prepare for . Of course they would rather have Keenum.  

Tom Landry took this to the extreme when he alternated Morton and Staubach on every play, using them as a shuttle system to call plays. That had to drive defenses crazy as they were very different stylistically. 

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Multiple people are idiots.

Do you honestly think Allen would have trotted out there in practice without an arm brace and in pads for his first practice of the week with McDermott saying it's gone from day to day to hour to hour with him???

C'mon people 

giphy.gif

I can't friggin believe those of you who think that somehow a "surprise!!!" Case Keenum start is better than even a 75% Josh Allen... and I'm sure Josh Allen is closer to 100% than 75%

Hear me now and believe me Sunday at kickoff:  JA17 starts and we’re up by 24 at halftime, and Case does his game mgt thing 2nd half.  Go Bills 🦬

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Since1981 said:

You are so far off base. I don’t even know where to start. Yeah, I’m disappointed he got hurt (!) smashing into guys making interceptions with broken bones, while White/Hyde are out.

please, please just stop. 

Poyer has battled injuries. He is a difference maker when on the field. Some people have zero football IQ. 

So much speculation. No one knows the severity of the injury. The media is guessing and are trying to make themselves relevant. How bout this guess. JA17 went out to practice yesterday to test his arm since he hurt it Sunday. He had a sleeve to start. But they took it off because there was no pain. When he went to run off the field he picked up the sleeve on his way out. No one really knows what’s about to happen tomorrow but the Bills . Unless it’s coming from them , and it won’t it’s meaningless to me

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

In a strange kind of way, I do. In kind of a preseason type game. Starts, plays a series or two, then sits the rest of the game.😁

If he plays, he plays the game. I don’t see them bringing him in for a series or two, that’s what practice is for. Not a live game. 

14 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Poyer has been a major disappointment this year. 

The only thing disappointing this season with Poyer are the injuries, his play while on the field, hasn’t been disappointing at all. Besides the injuries, he has battled like hell to play through them, that’s FAR from disappointing. 

Tell me, what about Poyer this season, other than injuries, has been disappointing? 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Johnnyp566 said:

Is there anyone that actually thinks he is playing? This is a joke. 

Do you think this thread would have gone 110+ pages if people didn’t think that? If he definitely wasn’t going to play wouldn’t he have been ruled out already? 

It's possible that the elbow is better than we think, and Allen could play, but it's marginal. Even in that case, McDermott's conservative history with injuries, on top of this being an NFC game, would suggest Allen will sit. But if he's on the healthy side of marginal, Dorsey might be putting together a plan that relies heavily on runs--including by Allen, the best runner on the team--and short passes: dump offs, screen, slants, etc., minimizing passes that stress the elbow, such as outs and flies. The Vikings will adjust, of course, but it still might be a better plan than starting Keenum with all his limitations, especially his mobility. The threat of Allen running and maybe uncorking a bomb--who knows?--could flummox a Vikings team that prepared for a statue with just an ok arm. 

19 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

If he plays, he plays the game. I don’t see them bringing him in for a series or two, that’s what practice is for. Not a live game. 

Practice is not real. Josh is a baller and I think he will push to play. That's why I think he'll start. The question will be if our OL can protect him and can he stay in the pocket and not be at risk of taking hits. If the OL can hold up, he may play longer (maybe even the entire game), if not, pull him and not risk it. Just weird with the week to week, day to day and hour to hour talk. Maybe he plays and hands the ball off every time. They are playing games and giving him the start and then sitting him could also play into the next couple of games. As I said, in a strange way, I think he plays. How much, who knows.

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The intelligent plan should be to keep Minnesota guessing right up to game time. Then announce Josh not playing.  Give him an additional 7 days of rest and treatment. Hope Keenum/Bass can generate 20 pts. Then ask your defense to "hold the door". Next week we get a 95% Josh and ask Tre to return. That should give them a boost for Cleveland. And because of Garrett, Josh's gameplan will be conservative. 

This is what I said. If the defense can hold up and hold the Vikings to 14-17 points and can find our way to 20-23 then winning this game is definitely possible 

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Do you think this thread would have gone 110+ pages if people didn’t think that? If he definitely wasn’t going to play wouldn’t he have been ruled out already? 

A Josh Allen thread about his favorite color could go 110+ pages on this board. And, no, even if the team was 100% sure he wasn’t playing he wouldn’t be ruled out publicly. I don’t know if he’s playing or not, but why would they give the Vikings a heads up on that?

48 minutes ago, Johnnyp566 said:

Is there anyone that actually thinks he is playing? This is a joke. 

apparently a lot of people do.  Admirable, really.

Just now, BobBelcher said:

I’ve noticed there are 2 different ways in which fans pronounce Josh Allen’s last name.

There is Josh Allen (Owl-in)

And Josh Allen (Ail-in)

I am Owl-in on the🦉 this week

cause I don’t want him Ail-in 🤕 

AL inn.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.