Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

14 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It's Keenum's job if Allen is out....but if he struggles to execute the offense I can see them giving Barkley a look.  This is not a time to play around.  We are 0-2 in the Division and the Jets/Miami are 2-1 and even with 6 wins.  People are pretty chill about it, but the Bills are in a fight for their playoff lives here.

Chill Level 2 / 10 currently, I’d say.

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

I wish people would stop saying sit him for one week so he can "heal up". A torn ligament takes months to heal, and from what I understand, they never fully heal. It's why if you keep spraining your ankle, it gets easier to sprain in the furure, there's is less ligament to stabilize the joint.

Sitting one week won't heal jack.

oh...cool.  so where did you go to medical school gene?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Gene1973 said:

I have destroyed my left ankle more than a few times, as well as a torn rotator cuff. I got this information directly from my Dr's.

The tear Allen had in 2018 is still there in some fashion.

oh...cool.  so the university of nowhere?  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I said my reasoning earlier in the thread, but here are my reasons:

1) Josh injured his arm and then still threw 2 passes.  Yes, the first pass he threw (3rd and 21) was when he grabbed his arm.  But the next throw he chucked it 70 yards.

2) After that final throw the cameras showing him did not show him in pain grabbing his arm.

3) Compare that all with the similar injury he had in his rookie year against the Texans where he hurt it on one play and then on the next play when he threw it he was in obvious pain and pulled himself out of the game.

4) After the game he showed up and the PC without any ice or splint or anything on his elbow.  

Those are the reasons I wasn't really overly worried about any prognosis.  It was clear it wasn't going to be as bad as his rookie year injury where he missed 4 games.  So... that left the question of whether he would miss any.  Then we get to the question of whether he'd miss any...

5) Reports yesterday from Rap and others that it was just a strain and Josh would probably play through it.

6) Diggs's tweet.  Just a piece of the puzzle, but Diggs is sly on twitter so (I believe) it was clear he was saying something about Josh.

7) McDermott doesn't exactly have a history of saying "he's fine" when players have potential injuries, so of course he's erring on the side of caution.  The day-to-day designation was at minimum what he was going to call.

8  Yes, reports are that Josh won't practice today.  Might not tomorrow either.  That's the part that I could say gives me pause, but why not err on the side of caution?  It's not like Josh doesn't know the offense.  If it's a minor sprain... those extra 1 or 2 days could give the opportunity for the elbow to heal even more... maybe to the point he doesn't feel any pain.

9)  Like it or not, Buffalo DOES want (and would really benefit from) having the #1 seed and homefield advantage in the playoffs.  I think the players know that.  And I think McDermott does, too.

Not a betting man, but I'd put money on Josh playing on Sunday.

After rewatching him grabbing his arm, it looks like what you'd do to try and get feeling back in your arm after you hit your funny bone, not how you would grab it if it was in pain.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I have destroyed my left ankle more than a few times, as well as a torn rotator cuff. I got this information directly from my Dr's.

The tear Allen had in 2018 is still there in some fashion.

The UCL is not used for throwing a football to any significant level. They only way he reinjures it is if he gets hit the same way throwing again.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I think they should sit him at least for one game and let him heal up properly, but I’m sure he’ll be in the lineup on Sunday. Keep him limited. Like 10 posters pointed out, what’s the benefit of revealing his status? Belichick has done this same thing for years. Reveal it when he absolutely has to. The Vikings now have to prepare for 2 very different QBs. If Keenum DOES play however, if Tre white, Milano, and Poyer are active then we def have a fighting chance. Despite what the fools on this board believe, we have a strong roster when healthy that def capable of winning games on their own. This is a team sport. 

way overrated. Not that difficult. it's still the Bills offense. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Isn't this the nickname for Boston College?

you better watch your mouth.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47go8ytkjtbstdc4yhtk

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Yes, I understand this. What's annoying is ppl thinking rest will heal the ligament.

You seem kinda pissy today.

i have an opening and just wanted to bust your balls.

35 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Definitely not playing.   It would probably be very dumb to risk a complete tear when you could let it heal and have him for the playoffs

What makes you think him playing really risks a complete tear that much?  From what I understand the injury happened because of the really awkward way his hand was held at the back of his throwing motion and it injured a part of the elbow that would affect baseball pitchers more than QBs.  And it seems if he's using different muscles and parts of his elbow while throwing there's not much risk of making the injury worse unless he gets hit in the exact same way, which is why you lean a little more on the run game, quick passes, and rolling pockets.

I wouldn't say "he's 100% playing," but I think the evidence suggests he's a lot more likely to play than not.  I don't understand the thought process of people like you who believe he's 100% not playing.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsBy50 said:

Against the tanking Commies, yes tell me more.

Did you see the Bills play in the 2nd half vs the Packers And the Jets game? It's not like the Bills are thriving on all cylinders. They made Zach Wilson look like a seasoned QB and the Jets WRs made nice short catches. The Jets running back thrashed the Bills too.  I'd dare to say the Kousins, Cook, Jefferson, and TJ are a much more daunting task. Add in no Allen and Bills injuries. That adds up to a difficult task for the Bills. Good thing is Bills play well at home, hoping some injuries guys return, and others step up because Allen is out. A better total team effort is needed because Keenum isn't going to win this game. Coaching and game planning will be crucial this game. 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What makes you think him playing really risks a complete tear that much?  From what I understand the injury happened because of the really awkward way his hand was held at the back of his throwing motion and it injured a part of the elbow that would affect baseball pitchers more than QBs.  And it seems if he's using different muscles and parts of his elbow while throwing there's not much risk of making the injury worse unless he gets hit in the exact same way, which is why you lean a little more on the run game, quick passes, and rolling pockets.

I wouldn't say "he's 100% playing," but I think the evidence suggests he's a lot more likely to play than not.  I don't understand the thought process of people like you who believe he's 100% not playing.

Just the tendency of the coaching staff to be conservative with injuries,  I'd be very surprised if he played.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I just think that the reporting on this has been pretty consistent from the beginning.

Rap and Mort said it was believed to be a minor strain Sunday night, and they expected limited practice participation and monitoring all week, but the plan has been to play through it all along.

I guess we could say McDermott has embellished “day to day” in the past, so I see at most he sits out this week and is back next week. 

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

After rewatching him grabbing his arm, it looks like what you'd do to try and get feeling back in your arm after you hit your funny bone, not how you would grab it if it was in pain.

YES!!!!

This was another interesting thing after reading about and researching the injury a little.  One of the things that apparently could have happened based on the injury was essentially his nerve being pulled a little out of place, which results in that tingly funny bone feeling you just mentioned.  That was referred to as basically the best case scenario because it's something that goes away relatively quickly.

I think this guy has some of that explanation:

And some would ask "well if that's all it is, why isn't he practicing?"  Well... that might not be all it is.  But based on the way the injury looked I could see McDermott wanting to give Josh every single day he can this week to rest to make sure he's recovered as much as possible for Sunday's game.  Afterall, isn't Josh at the point in his career where he can miss practice during the work week and be good on gameday?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.