Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Day to day means he's playing, to me.  

May I ask why? I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

Personally, I think that saying "day to day" is of the most strategic benefit. 

If he had said "week to week", it would telegraph that he's out for this Sunday. By saying "day to day", you can take it right up to Sunday morning without the opposition knowing who will be at quarterback.

I have no idea whether Josh will play on Sunday or not, but I think saying "day to day" is the best, most logical gamesmanship possible given the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh plays Sunday, and I wouldn't be surprised if he missed two games.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I mean if it was week-to-week for sure they'd have said so like Rousseau who will likely miss 3 games minimum 

You can't compare Greg and Josh lol. McDermott is going to want to keep opponents guessing on Josh as much as possible. 

IMO we next see him vs the pats. But we're all guessing at this point. And we'll be guessing until he's active again because McDermott will give us zero info.

1 minute ago, Process said:

You can't compare Greg and Josh lol. McDermott is going to want to keep opponents guessing on Josh as much as possible. 

IMO we next see him vs the pats. But we're all guessing at this point. And we'll be guessing until he's active again because McDermott will give us zero info.

Nope. Suit him up on Sunday and watch him play like the best player to ever step on a football field 😎

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I like Matt Barkley better. If Josh ain't playing, don't they gotta call him up from practice squad?

What, exactly, do you like about Barkley?  He has literally never been good in any game he's ever played in the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So... I saw the update with McDermott saying "day to day" and I'm a little shocked at how many of you think Josh isn't playing Sunday?

I'm assuming everyone is going on the previous "day to day" designations (Milano, White, etc.) and McDermott's choice to sit them?  Said it earlier in this thread, but there was no way in hell this was ever going to come out as a "everything is rosy and Josh is fine" report from McDermott no matter what he heard from Josh or the Doctors. 

Day to day means he's playing, to me.  Let him sit today and tomorrow and continue to treat the elbow.  McDermott has no need to reveal that he thinks Josh will play, so why would he?  

One of the interesting things I read and saw was that with that injury, it's an awkward spot for a QB but it's really not hugely impacted by the throwing motion of a QB.  And you could see that in the way his arm got hit.  

I expect Josh plays and Dorsey relies a little more on the running game, but not as much as people would expect.  A lot of quick passes and rolling pockets to come. 

And give Josh the green light even moreso to run, because I'm sorry... this notion that Josh running will significantly shorten his career has already been challenged with what look like his 2 worst injuries inside the pocket in his rookie year and last week.

Definitely not playing.   It would probably be very dumb to risk a complete tear when you could let it heal and have him for the playoffs

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What, exactly, do you like about Barkley?  He has literally never been good in any game he's ever played in the NFL.

Not sure.  I know I seen him play better than I have seen Keenum... But to be honest,  never really saw Keenum play except with earlier teams. 

If Josh doesn't play, don't they gotta bring in a backup to the backup. Won't that move tip their hand? When do they have to do that by? Bills aren't carrying 3 QBs on the Active Roster.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not sure.  I know I seen him play better than I have seen Keenum... But to be honest,  never really saw Keenum play except with earlier teams. 

If Josh doesn't play, don't they gotta bring in a backup to the backup. Won't that move tip their hand? When do they have to do that by? Bills aren't carrying 3 QBs on the Active Roster.

In all seriousness, Keenum has shown the ability to lead teams to multiple wins on multiple teams.  Barkley simply has not.

If Josh is out, I'm sure Barkley will be activated to backup Keenum.

• Like (+1) 2

It's Keenum's job if Allen is out....but if he struggles to execute the offense I can see them giving Barkley a look.  This is not a time to play around.  We are 0-2 in the Division and the Jets/Miami are 2-1 and even with 6 wins.  People are pretty chill about it, but the Bills are in a fight for their playoff lives here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

It's Keenum's job if Allen is out....but if he struggles to execute the offense I can see them giving Barkley a look.  This is not a time to play around.  We are 0-2 in the Division and the Jets/Miami are 2-1 and even with 6 wins.  People are pretty chill about it, but the Bills are in a fight for their playoff lives here.

If Barkley has to play, we are screwed.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’m not so sure as both Keenum and Diggs are several seasons removed from the Vikings who’ve completely retooled their staffs since then. Are they still running the Stefanski schemes on offense and the Zimmer schemes on defense? I honestly don’t watch them enough to know. 

Next week = Cleveland 

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

May I ask why? I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

Personally, I think that saying "day to day" is of the most strategic benefit. 

If he had said "week to week", it would telegraph that he's out for this Sunday. By saying "day to day", you can take it right up to Sunday morning without the opposition knowing who will be at quarterback.

I have no idea whether Josh will play on Sunday or not, but I think saying "day to day" is the best, most logical gamesmanship possible given the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh plays Sunday, and I wouldn't be surprised if he missed two games.

I said my reasoning earlier in the thread, but here are my reasons:

1) Josh injured his arm and then still threw 2 passes.  Yes, the first pass he threw (3rd and 21) was when he grabbed his arm.  But the next throw he chucked it 70 yards.

2) After that final throw the cameras showing him did not show him in pain grabbing his arm.

3) Compare that all with the similar injury he had in his rookie year against the Texans where he hurt it on one play and then on the next play when he threw it he was in obvious pain and pulled himself out of the game.

4) After the game he showed up and the PC without any ice or splint or anything on his elbow.  

Those are the reasons I wasn't really overly worried about any prognosis.  It was clear it wasn't going to be as bad as his rookie year injury where he missed 4 games.  So... that left the question of whether he would miss any.  Then we get to the question of whether he'd miss any...

5) Reports yesterday from Rap and others that it was just a strain and Josh would probably play through it.

6) Diggs's tweet.  Just a piece of the puzzle, but Diggs is sly on twitter so (I believe) it was clear he was saying something about Josh.

7) McDermott doesn't exactly have a history of saying "he's fine" when players have potential injuries, so of course he's erring on the side of caution.  The day-to-day designation was at minimum what he was going to call.

8  Yes, reports are that Josh won't practice today.  Might not tomorrow either.  That's the part that I could say gives me pause, but why not err on the side of caution?  It's not like Josh doesn't know the offense.  If it's a minor sprain... those extra 1 or 2 days could give the opportunity for the elbow to heal even more... maybe to the point he doesn't feel any pain.

9)  Like it or not, Buffalo DOES want (and would really benefit from) having the #1 seed and homefield advantage in the playoffs.  I think the players know that.  And I think McDermott does, too.

Not a betting man, but I'd put money on Josh playing on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

We were 7-6 last year weren't we?  

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Fact is, if Allen misses multiple games, the Bills are going to be on the road for the playoffs.

This regime hasn’t won a road playoff game yet and the prospects won’t be any brighter for the 2022 playoffs.

So, if Allen can even throw a little, he’s playing.

They haven't won a road playoff game more because in 2019 and 2020, the team that beat them Texans and Chiefs was the better team.  Even last year they were about even. 

This year if Allen is back healthy by year end and say they do sign OBJ, they are the better team than anyone in AFC.  Doesn't mean they will win, but they are the more talented team so the fact that they lost prior isn't so meaningful.  Prior years that wasn't the case so one piece of data doesn't prove the other.

33 minutes ago, Process said:

McDermott could be 100% certain he's missing multiple games and would still label him day to day IMO. There's no reason not too. 

Could but wouldn't. Why?, because logic tells us that when McD uses the term day to day since he came here in 2017, it means the player has a good chance of playing in the upcoming game, and if not then for sure the next game. If it were week to week, McD would say week to week.

Edited by 34-78-83

I think they should sit him at least for one game and let him heal up properly, but I’m sure he’ll be in the lineup on Sunday. Keep him limited. Like 10 posters pointed out, what’s the benefit of revealing his status? Belichick has done this same thing for years. Reveal it when he absolutely has to. The Vikings now have to prepare for 2 very different QBs. If Keenum DOES play however, if Tre white, Milano, and Poyer are active then we def have a fighting chance. Despite what the fools on this board believe, we have a strong roster when healthy that def capable of winning games on their own. This is a team sport. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.