Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

18 minutes ago, Lost said:

Okay guys.  Josh Allen is playing Sunday.   If he wasn't McD would have said as much.  Docs are probably urging some caution, Josh is urging the desire to play and McD is stuck in the middle but I ultimately think Josh's sway wins and he is on the field Sunday.  

Or he chooses not to say anything, so the Vikings have to prepare for both QB's

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bob in STL said:

It would be nice to rest Allen for a week and still win this game.  The key to winning without Allen playing is simple to lay out, but not easy to do.  

1.  The defense needs to play great football and get turnovers.  With all the injuries this is not a given.  Hopefully Milano, Poyer, Tre, and Rosseau are back.  If they are I will feel a lot better.  

2.  The OL must run block better than they typically do, especially when the other team knows you are running.

3.  Special teams have to consistently set up favorable field position and no negative plays.

The hardest for this team to achieve is most likely #2.   Allen makes this mediocre OL look better than it is.   Hoping Brown is back at RT so that Knox can get more targets.  

It will be a battle on Sunday.   

Rousseau will not be back.

The line was not entirely, or even mostly IMO, for the problems last week.  The Jets were giving Allen underneath stuff, but he kept holding the ball looking for bigger plays.  This was regression on his part, as earlier in the season he was more patient and took the smaller stuff.  Allen is a smart guy, he will correct this but that is what happened last Sunday against a very good underrated defense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

This is the one game I have tickets for this year, so it will suck if Allen doesn't play, but Keenum should be fine.  I remember all the same handwringing when Kelly would go down because Frank Reich looked awful when entering a game.  Once he had time to work with the starters in practice, he looked so much better.  It's still going to be a challenge to beat the Vikings, especially with Keenum, but it's not going to be a repeat of the last week's Titans-Chiefs game.  But it does mean that the defense should have a chip on its shoulder.

Yes. Happy it's not Trubisky. They can't just run blitz him all day. He's been at war with Diggs. 

3 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Look, it is almost certain he has a grade 1 sprain, which can include microtears.  If it was a grade 2 sprain, he would be out as he was in 2018.   

That being said, if he gets rest, he should be largely healed up in two weeks.  He should be good for sure for Detroit, unless something goes wrong.  You put him in without adequate rest, and he probably will have some trouble throwing, and could aggravate the injury.  So he can play, but should he?

Correct decision, IMO, is to let Keenum play the next two weeks, three if the recovery is slower.  I understand the #1 seed and all that, but the injury changes the calculus.  He needs to be healthy after Detroit.  If Keenum can go 1-1, or 2-1 with Detroit, everything will still be on the table.  Besides, given the last 6 quarters, giving Allen a little time to clear his head might not be a bad thing.  When he came back in 2018 after the UCL injury, he was a much better player.

Just my opinion... 

Fact is, if Allen misses multiple games, the Bills are going to be on the road for the playoffs.

This regime hasn’t won a road playoff game yet and the prospects won’t be any brighter for the 2022 playoffs.

So, if Allen can even throw a little, he’s playing.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

This is the one game I have tickets for this year, so it will suck if Allen doesn't play, but Keenum should be fine.  I remember all the same handwringing when Kelly would go down because Frank Reich looked awful when entering a game.  Once he had time to work with the starters in practice, he looked so much better.  It's still going to be a challenge to beat the Vikings, especially with Keenum, but it's not going to be a repeat of the last week's Titans-Chiefs game.  But it does mean that the defense should have a chip on its shoulder.

Coming in from for my one game as well.  If Allen plays, i expect a commitment to the ground game and short/med passes with chances for YAC.  If Keenum plays, i expect the exact same thing.

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Fact is, if Allen misses multiple games, the Bills are going to be on the road for the playoffs.

This regime hasn’t won a road playoff game yet and the prospects won’t be any brighter for the 2022 playoffs.

So, if Allen can even throw a little, he’s playing.

No.  That's not how this team rolls.  Your sweeping generalizations are also wrong.  Go 2-1 with Keenum and get Allen back for NE and we will be fine. 

Edited by Casey D
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Casey D said:

No.  That's not how this team rolls.  Your sweeping generalizations are also wrong.  Go 2-1 with Keenum and get Allen back for NE and we will be fine. 

Yea this team rolls as Allen rolls. 

Having Allen out for any extended period of time is a disaster for this team. 

allen is the offense. 

case Keenum is a longshot, just as any backup would be. 

This could be the worst case scenario for the Bills depending on Allens status. 

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sat 4pm

Well Dr. Chao, I didn't ask for your opinion. THE WINTER SOLDIER IS PLAYING BABY!!!

28 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Look, it is almost certain he has a grade 1 sprain, which can include microtears.  If it was a grade 2 sprain, he would be out as he was in 2018.   

That being said, if he gets rest, he should be largely healed up in two weeks.  He should be good for sure for Detroit, unless something goes wrong.  You put him in without adequate rest, and he probably will have some trouble throwing, and could aggravate the injury.  So he can play, but should he?

Correct decision, IMO, is to let Keenum play the next two weeks, three if the recovery is slower.  I understand the #1 seed and all that, but the injury changes the calculus.  He needs to be healthy after Detroit.  If Keenum can go 1-1, or 2-1 with Detroit, everything will still be on the table.  Besides, given the last 6 quarters, giving Allen a little time to clear his head might not be a bad thing.  When he came back in 2018 after the UCL injury, he was a much better player.

Just my opinion... 

Hmmmm...I'll allow it 

• Big Turk changed the title to Josh Allen injury update(per McD 12pm PC - Allen day-to-day, "we'll see" regarding Vikes game)

So the options are play him against a team that would be a struggle anyway, or let him sit and nearly guarantee a loss against the Vikings but give Josh an extra week. 

I vote the latter 100% of the time IF an extra week can do anything for this type of injury. 

Basically guaranteeing a loss with Keenum in sucks, but a lingering injury for Josh could be franchise changing as hyperbolic as that may sound. 

Edited by stevestojan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.