Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Well F**K

I am relieved.  Elbows are tricky injuries.  This might be best case scerio.  Slightly torn UCL is manageable and treatable.  If Josh needs to rest a game or two, thats alright.  It's long season.  That's our QB.  We need him healthy for the playoffs

8 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I really hope they don't hold Allen out. If he can play, he needs to play. Keenum isn't winning us any games 

I'm not saying Keenum is going to win the game for us.  I am saying the Bills have mucho talent, and they can win games without Josh.  Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

What? Care to elaborate, it's being deemed short term...granted haven't heard from Coach or Josh again.

I think a torn UCL even a relatively minor tear is likely to affect Josh's play moving forward. And I don't think we can win a Superbowl with a compromised Josh Allen.

Maybe I am being too defeatist. But to my mind our Superbowl hopes are basically done. Not saying we won't win another game or anything but he probably needs surgery and rest to be at his best and that is not happening until the offseason

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a torn UCL even a relatively minor tear is likely to affect Josh's play moving forward. And I don't think we can win a Superbowl with a compromised Josh Allen.

Maybe I am being too defeatist. But to my mind our Superbowl hopes are basically done. Not saying we won't win another game or anything but he probably needs surgery and rest to be at his best and that is not happening until the offseason

Probably needs surgery? From a sprain? Don’t think that can be a logical suggestion right now.

21 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

What? Care to elaborate, it's being deemed short term...granted haven't heard from Coach or Josh again.

This.  He likely won't practice this week but still play and thay will be trend for rest of year.  Limited all week play Sunday 

7 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Probably needs surgery? From a sprain? Don’t think that can be a logical suggestion right now.

These can be micro tears too.  Basically any inconsistencies in the UCL. Could be something that actually heals while he plays. He will need to keep swelling down but this won't impact much. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

A sprain is a partial tear. It all depends on the severity.

Yes, this is a grade 2, so there is a partial tear. Not a grade 1 that just means the ligament is stretched. A partial tear isn't healing itself throwing on it all the time. So at the very least it needs the sort of rest and rehab that can't happen in season. In most cases I'd imagine for someone who throws for a living the belt and braces approach would be surgery to repair. I don't think we will see Josh at his best the rest of the way in 2022. 

Obviously I hope I am wrong. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 1

Typically, UCL injuries come in the form of microtears to the fibrous bands which make it up. These microtears can develop as a result of overextension, overexertion, or blunt trauma. Some of the most likely causes are: Catching a fall with an extended elbow.

Surgery is only used if there is significant degeneration of the UCL...this typically occurs from overuse. 

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Typically, UCL injuries come in the form of microtears to the fibrous bands which make it up. These microtears can develop as a result of overextension, overexertion, or blunt trauma. Some of the most likely causes are: Catching a fall with an extended elbow.

Surgery is only used if there is significant degeneration of the UCL...this typically occurs from overuse. 

At first I was like, wow this guy knows a ton about UCL injuries then I saw this online lol:

image.thumb.png.fe7fbbcc2ed8786d3d47d75d30b2ea98.png

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, this is a grade 2, so there is a partial tear. Not a grade 1 that just means the ligament is stretched. A partial tear isn't healing itself throwing on it all the time. So at the very least it needs the sort of rest and rehab that can't happen in season. In most cases I'd imagine for someone who throws for a living the belt and braces approach would be surgery to repair. I don't think we will see Josh at his best the rest of the way in 2022. 

Obviously I hope I am wrong. 

Where are you getting your information on the following:

1. Partial tear?  Ian R. reported a sprain, then sorta snuck in "tiny tear".  Has the severity, grade 2 as you just said, actually been released or are you speculating?

2. Surgery: again are you speculating?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Eh?

He had a Grade 2 UCL sprain his rookie season, rested 4 weeks and then came back. He didn't require surgery, so I'm not sure where you are getting that from for a Grade 2 sprain. Grade 3, yea then we are probably talking Tommy John's Surgery but literally no one is saying that or speculating that.

Will he be at his best if he rests it a bit and wears the brace like he did his rookie year? Hard to know, he was a completely different thrower and player back then. 

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Where are you getting your information on the following:

1. Partial tear?  Ian R. reported a sprain, then sorta snuck in "tiny tear".  Has the severity, grade 2 as you just said, actually been released or are you speculating?

2. Surgery: again are you speculating?

1. I read Rapsheet differently. He said "sprain (slight tear)." That is the definition of a grade 2 injury to a ligament. Grade 1 is a sprain. Grade 2 is a sprain and partial tear. Grade 3 is torn ligament. So while this is not the worst case scenario, it also isn't the best case scenario. 

2. Yes, surgery is speculation. They could choose just to rest, a partial tear can heal on its own. But when an individual uses that ligament in their everyday life then in my experience (again it is soccer more than football so leg more than knee) they generally go belt and braces and repair surgically. 

12 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Eh?

He had a Grade 2 UCL sprain his rookie season, rested 4 weeks and then came back. He didn't require surgery, so I'm not sure where you are getting that from for a Grade 2 sprain. Grade 3, yea then we are probably talking Tommy John's Surgery but literally no one is saying that or speculating that.

Will he be at his best if he rests it a bit and wears the brace like he did his rookie year? Hard to know, he was a completely different thrower and player back then. 

Okay probably was an overstatement. It AT LEAST needs proper rest that it won't get in season and it might need surgery. I just don't see a way we get an uncompromised Josh Allen the rest of the year. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay probably was an overstatement. It AT LEAST needs proper rest that it won't get in season and it might need surgery. I just don't see a way we get an uncompromised Josh Allen the rest of the year. 

Hard to know really. Like I said, Josh was a different thrower of the ball in 2018 and a different QB in general. I don't recall thinking he was limited throwing, ie couldn't make the throws, back then. Though that's just my memory. 

All the whispers seem to indicate this is less severe than 2018? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.