Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

A partial ligament tear is also known as a sprain. (A sprain can also be a stretching of ligaments.) The only possibilities were those two or a full tear. They’d have know right away if it was fully torn, so that’s out. It seems like this would all be put to bed already if the UCL was just stretched out. So we’re left with a partial tear. That could range from something very slight to a bad, but not complete tear. The guy might know something or he might just be making a logical guess, but he’s probably right. Here’s hoping it is something slight and some stretched ligaments. 

Pretty good assessment I think.

I've been thinking about this and I'm not too sure it would be put to bed already if the UCL was "just stretched".

Was hoping one of our resident actual orthopedists would speak up, but to my understanding...Back in Da Day before there were MRIs on every street corner, the difference between a Grade 1 and Grade 2 sprain was diagnosed based on the extent of bruising and swelling as well as laxity in the joint on physical exam.

And, with MRI, small tears can be seen to be present in sprains that have relatively minor bruising and swelling.

Anyway, with the QB elbow, I don't think you can brace the hell out of it the way you can an ankle or a knee, so a principle question for "is it safe to play?" may be, is there substantial laxity in the elbow that could make it subject to further structural damage with use/further hits?  And even with a Grade 1 sprain, that's going to be hard to answer until swelling goes down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

the only thing that can give us a definitive dx is a mri in this case if it is indeed a UCL sprain. If he didnt have an MRI by now, id be very surprised so i doubt thats the case.

we can only really speculate on is why the Bills arent telling us the dx, is it for competitive advantage against the vikings? is it because it was negative and they are hoping he can deal with some pain through out the week to play? or is it because they are afraid to break the news that he indeed needs to sit out some games. I dont think its the last one, bc news like that breaks out rather fast.

Why would they tell us on Tuesday if they don't have to? 

This could be going one of 2 ways today and I think both will involve checks and rechecks because of the injury:

Either Doctors are telling him he has to miss games or they're telling him he dodged a bullet 

Either way I guarantee they're testing him a lot with MRIs and Ultrasounds.

I can't imagine a worst case scenario of him being out for the year. Remember his rookie year when he had a partial tear against the Texans and had to come out of the game because of pain? Allen stayed in against the Jets and threw that 70 yard bomb even after realizing he was hurt. 

I would bet Josh plays this week but we find out tomorrow...

what time is McDermott's weekly presser?

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This could be going one of 2 ways today and I think both will involve checks and rechecks because of the injury:

Either Doctors are telling him he has to miss games or they're telling him he dodged a bullet 

I can't imagine a worst case scenario of him being out for the year. Remember his rookie year when he had a partial tear against the Texans and had to come out of the game because of pain? Allen stayed in against the Jets and threw that 70 yard bomb even after realizing he was hurt. 

We have to wait until 4:00 PM.

And I agree, against the Texans he stayed in one more play and then checked himself out of the game.

25 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Pretty good assessment I think.

I've been thinking about this and I'm not too sure it would be put to bed already if the UCL was "just stretched".

Was hoping one of our resident actual orthopedists would speak up, but to my understanding...Back in Da Day before there were MRIs on every street corner, the difference between a Grade 1 and Grade 2 sprain was diagnosed based on the extent of bruising and swelling as well as laxity in the joint on physical exam.

And, with MRI, small tears can be seen to be present in sprains that have relatively minor bruising and swelling.

Anyway, with the QB elbow, I don't think you can brace the hell out of it the way you can an ankle or a knee, so a principle question for "is it safe to play?" may be, is there substantial laxity in the elbow that could make it subject to further structural damage with use/further hits?  And even with a Grade 1 sprain, that's going to be hard to answer until swelling goes down.

Good points - especially about the laxity. I was thinking that the worry would be making a partial tear worse, but a loose joint could also lead to a more serious injury. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think it's a strain and they are going to do every conceivable test to confirm there are no tears or nerve damage.  If they can confirm that...beam him up scotty. 

2 minutes ago, gobilz said:

Who would back up keenum? Wouldn’t they need to get some one in here pronto?

Barkley would get called up.  

22 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

For what it’s worth, McD was in a pretty good mood when he was out and about this morning.  So there’s that.  

Probably getting excited about the complementary, ball-control offense he would have with Keenum.  

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I think it's a strain and they are going to do every conceivable test to confirm there are no tears or nerve damage.  If they can confirm that...beam him up scotty. 

This is my gut feeling too. Let's hope we're right.

I don't really even think McDermott will specify the injury, but if he says Josh will be limited this week, it's pretty clear he's playing Sunday. Still might be the case if he announces day to day, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Philippines, man. They'll do anything. Plus he can get some Chicken Adobo while he's out there. 

Ahh, Manila... a great place to visit. So many Navy vet expats there, and for good reason. Alas my wife would never go for a move to a foreign country not named Canada...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.