Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

33 minutes ago, chongli said:

Dr. David Chao on Movin' the Chains SiriusXM NFL Radio just said if he were a betting man, he would say Josh will miss 1-2 games to let the UCL heal. But no surgery or anything like that. If this were the playoffs, Josh would play.

Chao milking that concern about Josh Allen for all it's worth there.

He acknowledges that Josh finishes with a long throw, therefore "I'm not saying he has a torn ulnar collateral and his season is done"

Josh is going to want to get out there and practice and play.  Probably what's going on is not so much waiting medical tests, but waiting to see how much it will swell up in the next 24-48 hrs.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If it’s shown that he has any damage to his UCL, yes. He would be out 4 weeks and back for the playoffs. If we make the playoffs let him play, if we don’t, pack it in. I want Allen around for many years to come. 
This is Beanes fault for not protecting Allen. 

That's a bit harsh. It was a run of the mill hit that JA experiences dozens of time per game. Just this time.... it caused an injury.

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I had a sports medicine doctor diagnose me with a shoulder that just needed some physical therapy.  Then I had an MRI to reveal my discs from C1-T3 were heavily compressing my spine so there's that.  Nobody knows anything until imaging.

Had I done the physical therapy I could have been paralyzed or killed btw.

Wow! You are very lucky and blessed. 

Good for you!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We can’t run the ball. Teams are going to just completely take Diggs away. We will get suffocated without Allen. This isn’t a team with an above avg running game that you can lean on. We have an elite playmaker at QB that opens everything up. The Vikings will probably kill us is Keanum plays.

We won't run the same offense with Keenum. It will force Dorsey to lean on running the ball, screens, quick passes to every weapon we have. Thinking long term he might even learn something about how to scheme up easy throws with Allen in the game, similar to what happened with the Cowboys when Dak came back after Cooper Rush led them to a winning record. Gamblers historically love betting on backup QBs. The whole team tends to rise to the occasion because they know that they have to.

Not saying Allen's injury is a good thing by any means but there may be positives to take out of his absence as long as we get him back in the next month or so.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it's time people start revising their expectations of Josh Allen being an elite QB for "the next 10 years".    

No QB that has taken a beating anything close to Allen has been elite past their year 8 season.........this is year 5 for him.

Maybe he defies the odds and makes it another 10 years as a top 5 QB but this also might be his best shot at a SB..........it's by no means a given that a long career of All Pro level football remains ahead.   

This is certainly possible. But according to Aaron Rodgers “words are spells” and I’m not going to talk about that one out loud. 

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

Yeah this is a little confusing.  He must be close or they wouldn’t have gone ahead and activated him. I have to wonder how much the mental aspect is coming into play , for example , are they relying on Tre telling them he is completely ready !  Perhaps the Drs have cleared him but there is a thing in work comp injuries.  Once an injured worker is away from working over 6 months , the likelihood of them returning to work is greatly reduced as people can emotionally lose their confidence and can’t overcome that. So in work comp they always try to push for earlier return to work.  

I can only imagine after tres injury the mental aspect is probably the hardest thing to overcome. I really empathize with him and hope he feels emotionally as well as physically ready when he does return to playing.  After sitting out and putting in all this time to rehab, it must be hard to finally pull the trigger and face reality about being back to your prior level of excellence. 

Yeah, this sort of reminds me of when Derrick Rose continued to sit out for the Bulls months after he was cleared to return from his torn ACL.  He just didn't feel confident in his leg or it's ability to hold up at top speed in game conditions.  Can't help but wonder if Tre isn't going through a similar mental road block.  He also recently made comments about having to face a life outside of football.  I'm not expecting him at All-Pro form on the field anytime soon (if ever).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

We won't run the same offense with Keenum. It will force Dorsey to lean on running the ball, screens, quick passes to every weapon we have. Thinking long term he might even learn something about how to scheme up easy throws with Allen in the game, similar to what happened with the Cowboys when Dak came back after Cooper Rush led them to a winning record. Gamblers historically love betting on backup QBs. The whole team tends to rise to the occasion because they know that they have to.

Not saying Allen's injury is a good thing by any means but there may be positives to take out of his absence as long as we get him back in the next month or so.

Doubt there would be many positives, especially if our injured starters don’t come back.  If we can get Tre, Poyer, Milano, and some additional secondary help, our defense CAN win us 13-10 games. Then you have some positives. 

If Josh (literally our entire offense) is out, along with all the injuries on the defensive side, no chance we win anything. 

Also, Im gonna freakin puke if Miami wins our division. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it doesn't work that way.   Can't rollback the odometer.    The hits are just fine until suddenly they are not.    That's why those with longevity in mind don't take them.   McBeane chose to build this team around the defensive side of the ball.........just as those at their previous jobs in Carolina did.    Whether that turns out to have been the right decision remains to be seen but it's all-in this season one way or another.    Next year the parts start falling off and the degree of difficulty increases.

I don't understand your timing in this case with this. We are talking about an arm being hit while passing in the pocket. How is that acting or treating our QB needlessly compared to any other, and diminishing on his longevity? Wasn't your point about Josh running past the LOS when we previously discussed this?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s 26 not 33 all McDermott has to do is get a Shannhan like coordinator in here to design a run heavy offense and short passing game and his longevity goes up astronomically 

Give me another recent example of this working.    Jimmy G?  Trey Lance?  Jared Goff?  Matthew Stafford is playing some of the worst football of his career in year 2 in McVay's similar system.    Nowhere in the Mike/Kyle Shanahan history has their offense ever been known to not get QB's hit.  

The first and easiest fix was address the WR position aggressively in either of the past 2 offseasons.    Didn't happen.       

David Chao on Nfl radio with some insight and speculation.   He is guessing a sprain which could mean missing practice and possibly a game or two.  If a tear that would be bad obviously.  UCL is important for power and accuracy.   If it’s a sprain and there is risk of worsening it he may need to sit for a couple weeks.  Could need platlet rich plasma injection or some sort which would be several weeks.  

if SB next week he thinks he would play but since it’s not he thinks he probably won’t play this week.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Which is why they should get him blockers and better receivers instead of drafting first round corners to play in a zone system that 6th round picks and UDFAs tend to succeed in.

But hey, I guess "some things will never change."

I said it on draft day, the Elam pick was gross. Beane is yet to draft a WR on day one or two his whole Bills tenure. Yes Diggs but he's one guy! And by my reckoning Cody Ford is the only such pick on the OL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Also, Im gonna freakin puke if Miami wins our division. 

Eh I don't care as much about the #1 seed as most on here. Obviously I would prefer to have it. But every year all I really care about is that we make it into the playoffs fully healthy. Once we're in anything can happen. If Allen misses 4 games and we sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard I wouldn't feel much worse about our chances than if we had gotten in as the #1 seed. I know people bandy around that statistic of our home versus away playoff record under McDermott but that's such a small sample size it doesn't mean anything to me.

16 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Can’t afford the best at every position. This is a quality , super bowl talent filled roster ( quote from ex player Michael Robinson).  It’s no longer about talent. It’s coaching including the coordinators. We have the weapons and soon we will face cap limitations. You don’t throw years away or write one off unless you have no choice.   Hey , even if we barely get in , if Josh is healthy then , that’s all that matters. Cincy is proof what a hit team can do as they got there last year. I agree if Josh needs surgery , our chances really take a hit. But you don’t write it off if Josh is 75% and can still run well. No future years are promised so I would let him play if he’s not in a cast ; pretty doubtful he could jeapordize  his future completely playing when not 100%.  No season will be perfect with weapons and protection  That’s like telling your GF we need to hold off on that engagement ring until I have the perfect job and salary ; chances are your chances with her will rapidly approach the same odds of the Lions winning the Lombardi!😀

good luck with that roster when his contract kicks in. It was last year and this year as best chances to win it all. It is what it is, go Sabres?

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

I don't understand your timing in this case with this. We are talking about an arm being hit while passing in the pocket. How is that acting or treating our QB needlessly compared to any other, and diminishing on his longevity? Wasn't your point about Josh running past the LOS when we previously discussed this?

Timing with what?    Even though it's unusual for any QB to have suffered 2 UCL injuries my point is that he's taken a ton of punishment.....not that an arm injury alone is going to end his career.    He could have TJ surgery tomorrow and come back throwing stronger than ever in 2024.    That's the way TJ often works.........pitchers come back throwing harder.    It's about the hard miles in general.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

The NFL world seems to be reacting in a predictable way - kind of a "we knew it!  With his style of play..."

It was a pretty standard hit that every QB gets once in awhile when they drop back....

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If it’s shown that he has any damage to his UCL, yes. He would be out 4 weeks and back for the playoffs. If we make the playoffs let him play, if we don’t, pack it in. I want Allen around for many years to come. 
This is Beanes fault for not protecting Allen. 

Of course we would pack it in if we don’t make the playoffs , season would be over , right!  Lol!  Just joking. I know what you meant. Beane did the best he could.  Had holes to fill in the draft. Brought in two starters from the #1 seed from last year. Brown has been a medical disappointment unfortunately.   Our OC is showing signs of needing experience and to adapt.  Our receiving corp tho has been unreliable other than all world Diggs.  That is a surprise , but Hines may help.  Mckenzie, Davis, Knox have all been very inconsistent.  Shakil needs more snaps as well.  People keep harping about Beckum, but by the time he is ready it’s possible the damage is already done.  Having two. Burners like Miami sure seems like the way to go , but it’s not easy to find that type of talent. Even tho the jets beat us , I think Miami is the biggest threat as that team can score with anyone. 

Hope for the best , ( tho I admit that Mcd not revealing any more about the mri of Josh’s elbow is concerning as the “ getting more tests “ thing makes me worry they are really already getting a second opinion regarding the need for surgery vs rest and I had hoped surgery was already off the table. Now I’m not so sure given Mcds presser ). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.