Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

8 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

He got a concussion running the ball vs the Pats one year. He got held up in the line and someone came in and smacked him hard right in the helmet.

He also injured his should a couple of years ago throwing on the run and landing on it funny. Not running the ball on that one, but not in the pocket either.

Josh played the next game, I am talking about injuries where he missed games.  All of his injuries where he missed time were related to him throwing the ball, not running.  And all but that one came inside the pocket, including all of his NFL injuries.  

Smart-Select-20221107-152453-Slack.jpg

As I said earlier I have no reason to think Erik Turner is making things up. At this point we just have to wait and see how severe it is. I'm thinking the Bills put something out to Rappaport to quell some of the rumors floating around... but they don't really know anything for sure yet.

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Um OK.  I'll take it as your intended meaning, and we disagree slightly - his credible medical info comes from watching what happened to the joint, and having years of education about what that motion can stress.

But you went further - you analogized a PhD PT with yourself as a tweener self-diagnosing syphilis based on WebMD

That's a bogus analogy.

Lol, I put a funny laugh face after it as poking fun a bit.  But his input is as worthless as anyone else guessing.  

Credible means he has credible information on Josh Allens actual medical diagnosis.  If they haven't spoken to the Bills, Allens doctors, etc...then the tweet is as worthless as any other tweet.  There is not a whole lot of things that could be the injury, one doesn't have to be a doctor to predict the few possible injuries a movement like that can make.  I don't have a medical degree, but I can tell you with pretty strong accuracy the types of injuries possible when a knee is bent the wrong way or the ankle rolled up.  

And all of those diagnosis possibilities include it being a non-injury as much as it does a minor one to a serious one.  Look at Kupp last week, initial reaction was he was going to be out a while and had at the very least a serious sprain to possible season ending injury.  He didn't even have an injury designation by the end of the week and played this week.  People were melting down all over twitter about their fantasy football seasons for nothing.  

So that is where I was coming from.  Great he is a doctor (assuming thats even true given its twitter), but means nothing in regards to Josh's actual diagnosis.  And this is how rumors start and panic starts...guys like him getting everyone all charged up with literally no actual information to base it on other than a "all things possible" analysis.  

Its just a pet peeve of mine in this world of baseless claims, misinformation, etc. we live in now.  None of that pertains to you, just specifically saying with tweets like this.  

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Smart-Select-20221107-152453-Slack.jpg

As I said earlier I have no reason to think Erik Turner is making things up. At this point we just have to wait and see how severe it is. I'm thinking the Bills put something out to Rappaport to quell some of the rumors floating around... but they don't really know anything for sure yet.

Being overdramatic and putting out anything in advance, other than "we hear he's undergoing testing/more to come as we find out" is ridiculous.  Clickbait or not, alot of fans care alot about the team/Josh's health...no reason to be dramatic, unless certain.

As much as I like their reviews/commentary, this type of thing turns me off to their content...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Being overdramatic and putting out anything in advance, other than "we hear he's undergoing testing/more to come as we find out" is ridiculous.  Clickbait or not, alot of fans care alot about the team/Josh's health...no reason to be dramatic, unless certain.

As much as I like their reviews/commentary, this type of thing turns me off to their content...

Seems like Cover 1 guys are trying to CYA by drawing attention to hype tweets and downplaying any hopeful conclusions from Ian R

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Tim Graham just retweeted this article:

At the very least I am preparing for Allen to miss the Vikings game. I am just crossing my fingers the season isn't lost. Screw the #1 seed. Just give us Allen playing in December and deep into January. I can stomach that.

That was a fluke.  Have you seen Keenam play since then?  Im not even talking about his terrible Bills play.  Im talking his terrible play everywhere else too.  Keenum is not good. 

Not you man... im talking stupid Tim Graham and the guy that wrote that.

Edited by Scott7975

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Is that immediate or something that would take time to notice?

Because homeboy launched a bomb of epic proportions on a dot the very next play. 

Adrenalin could mask pain , not a complete tear. He could have a partial injury , play thru it for a throw or two , then later swelling and inflammation increase and the true extent of the injury becomes more apparent.  Also with our circadian rhythm production of cortisol from the Adrenal glands , cortisol ( an anti inflammatory steroid hormone) production decreases at night. That’s why fevers , aches and pains always seem to worsen at night, so an injury with swelling can become more symptomatic overnight. So , yes , the symptoms can worsen but the injury damage doesn’t increase unless someone keeps using the injured limb , like walking on a fractured toe instead of a boot for example. You could cause a non displaced fracture to move and displace in that case. 

22 minutes ago, Bandito said:

He has been horrible for the last 3 halves. Not very good at all.

He had a bad second half in back to back games, not a bad game and a half.  He has 4 TD's in the first halves of both those games.  

People need to step back a second and breathe.  We don't need to over exaggerate things here.  

1. We are a missed FG by Bass and a dropped pass by Davis from winning the Jets game and being 2-0 in this "bad stretch".  
  2. GB and Jets have excellent secondaries, and that allowed them to not blitz much, in fact Jets I think blitzed only twice all game.  This gave them extra guys in coverage and Dorsey failed to make the adjustments we needed.  
  3. Jets especially have an excellent front 7 and brought pressure all day with their front 4, again allowing them to take away the big play from the Bills in the passing game.  

End of the day...the bigger concern here IMHO is Dorsey.  He needs to figure out how to make adjustments because we just watched 2 teams in back to back weeks make halftime adjustments to take his offense out of sync.  Guys are not getting open, especially Davis.  Dorsey needs to scheme better to give Josh more options.  

This is what happens when you don't have a threat out of the slot like we did with Cole.  McKenzie experiment needs to end, its an utter failure like I said it would be.  They specifically said part of the reason they traded for Hines was to use him to return kicks so Shakir would no longer have to even though he has done a good job.  Beane said they are asking a lot of him as a rookie to return kicks and learn to play WR at the NFL level and want to free him up to focus on being a WR.  

This tells me they both recognize the need to get Shakir more involved in the passing game and plan too, and this offense needs that.  Now it is up to Dorsey to scheme better and give more outlets to Josh like Knox, Shakir, the RB's, etc.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

This tells me they both recognize the need to get Shakir more involved in the passing game and plan too, and this offense needs that.  Now it is up to Dorsey to scheme better and give more outlets to Josh like Knox, Shakir, the RB's, etc.  

They sure have a funny way of showing it by having him ride the pine

41 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets keep in mind, Josh did not get hurt running the ball, and he has never been hurt running the ball.  All of his injuries in college and pros came from throwing in the pocket. 

This is factually untrue.  Allen fractured his collarbone running the ball 13 plays into his first start with Wyoming.  We have guys posting on this board who were at that game and witnessed it.  He was scrambling at the time and lowered his shoulder into the Safety. 

Later, he suffered a L shoulder injury against the Raiders in week 4; he was scrambling outside the pocket but still behind the LOS and trying to throw.  It turned out to be an AC Joint sprain.   It appeared to affect his passing ability for the next ~3-4 weeks even though it was his non-throwing shoulder, Hasselbeck had the same injury and explained why

Then, he suffered what looked like a potential serious knee injury on a corkscrew tackle by Joey Bosa week 12 against the Chargers, again out of the pocket and trying to run.  It was a MCL (medial collateral ligament) sprain, he didn't miss games.

Last year, he suffered a foot injury reported as turf toe against the Jags last year, left the stadium in a walking boot, and was limited all week but it seemed to be a non-issue in the following week's game.  It was later reported as a "mid foot sprain".   Again it was at the end of a scramble.

To say Josh has "never been hurt running the ball" or that "all his injuries came from throwing in the pocket" is just not correct.

Edit: list of injuries from Banged Up Bills, though he doesn't give context

https://bangedupbills.com/2020/09/11/qb-josh-allen-injury-profile/

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.