Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

The man gets his elbow banged up and 2 plays later throws a ball 70 yards in the air and hits his WR perfectly with it which would have been caught by a better WR.  Pretty crazy stuff.  Hopefully he's OK and doesn't miss time.  If he does, we're in big trouble.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Hopefully he can play but I really hope the Bills let Singletary and Cook do all of the running 100%. No need for Josh to run especially if he is hurting. We need Josh throwing the ball not running it. No need for him to take extra hits.

Worried about Allen getting injured running, when he just got injured in the pocket? Vast majority of QB injuries occur in the pocket NOT from running.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

With all due respect, Alpha, I don't think it's at all the same thing.  Trimble is a PhD Physical Therapist. 

All of the PhD Physical Therapists I know can watch video or listen to a description of an injury, lay hands upon the injured party and do some little manipulation that makes the injured one scream, and then say "well, your orthopedist will probably want an MRI, but tentatively this could be....."  A week later when the MRI comes back (us civilians having to wait a bit for 'em) the diagnosis invariably matches.

Analogizing the injury analysis of a trained PT and the self-diagnosis of a tweener on WebMD is just silly, no insult to you intended.  Education matters.

It's not credible in the sense that it's not a confirmed report from the Bills or even an NFL insider, but it's credible in the sense of it's the eye of a highly trained medical professional, which puts it way ahead of Some Guy on Twitter.

And with all due respect right back at ya bud, that is basically what I did say.  He is credible on what might have have happened...his own personal speculation only.  But he has no updates, insight, or knowledge of what is actually going on with Josh Allen.  He is self diagnosing on what is possible, not what is actually the injury, if any, with Josh.  

So when I say he is not a credible source, I mean he has no credible medical information on what is or isn't currently wrong with Josh Allens elbow.  He just can list all the possible injuries, which includes no significant injury, that may happen on a play like that.  So again, its not anymore credible than anyone making a guess in terms to what the real diagnosis is on Allens actual elbow.  

Thats all I am saying

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Worried about Allen getting injured running, when he just got injured in the pocket? Vast majority of QB injuries occur in the pocket NOT from running.

Still no need to Cam Newton his career. If Allen would slide that is one thing, but he doesn't shy away from contact. I get that he will get hit and sacked in the pocket but no need for him to be the leading rusher most of the time

Edited by Greg S

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Hopefully he can play but I really hope the Bills let Singletary and Cook do all of the running 100%. No need for Josh to run especially if he is hurting. We need Josh throwing the ball not running it. No need for him to take extra hits.

Lets keep in mind, Josh did not get hurt running the ball, and he has never been hurt running the ball.  All of his injuries in college and pros came from throwing in the pocket.  

But, don't get me wrong, I am all for protecting Josh more if he plays through pain.  Minimize the risk...however, I feel a lot better when Josh rolls out then I do when he stays in the pocket because in the pocket is where Josh takes the vast majority of his biggest and most vulnerable hits.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Yep.   You would think now is finally the time to hand the ball off and keep the passes to screens and other such “easy” throws.    

edit... And can Terry talk to the league about doing something when a QB does a QB sneak and the defender grabs one of his lower legs and pulls him backwards with it nearly 5yds!  

Edited by Dan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Still no need to Cam Newton his career. If Allen would and slide that is one thing, but he doesn't shy away from contact. I get that he will get hit and sacked in the pocket but no need for him to be the leading rusher most of the time

Newton took WAY more abuse in the pocket than he did from running.

• Like (+1) 2

I'll put this here - people who have played sports or have kids in sports probably have this memorized but it bears refreshing

Grade I Strain – slight pull of your forearm muscles without any indication of tearing.  You maintain the same level of strength in your arm.

Grade II Strain – muscle fibers and/or tendons are torn.  There is a noticeable decrease in arm strength.

Grade III Strain – complete tear of muscle and tendon fibres.  Can only be repaired with surgery.

Grade I Sprain – ligaments are stretched and/or micro tearing occurs.

Grade II Sprain – elbow joint has signs of instability and there is partial tearing of the elbow ligaments.

Grade III Sprain – severe elbow joint instability with complete tearing of ligament tissues.

Grade III strains or sprains are the ones which require surgical repair to restore strength function.

Grade II will typically heal over time without surgery,but may take a while - may be able to speed healing with ultrasound etc. that increase blood flow to ligaments.  There may be permanent loss of strength, but can usually recover over time.

Grade I can heal relatively quickly, especially with SOFTA treatment to keep swelling down and maintain range of motion while healing.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Big Turk said:

Just saw this on macafee show.  Could be a triceps strain , and this might mean the ulnar collateral ligament is intact. That’s great news but still concerning he is “ undergoing” more tests.   Not sure what else would add much after an mri , unless he is having symptoms like grip weakness or numbness.  Then nerve conduction testing might add more to diagnosis / prognosis concerning possible injury to the ulnar nerve that was at least temporarily affected with the strip sack. Nerves can be bruised or stretched to a point of not conducting an electrical impulse well.  That can heal over time just like a bruise , but obviously everyone heals at different rates. 

But it seems like at least season ending surgery is probably off the table !  It may come down to his ability to grip the ball or tolerate pain while throwing. Seems like mostly great news; this week may still be up in the air tho and the Vikes are coming in hot and confident. Best wishes Josh for a speedy complete recovery ! ( selfishly this week please!  Lol !). 

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I'll put this here - people who have played sports or have kids in sports probably have this memorized but it bears refreshing

Grade III strains or sprains are the ones which require surgical repair to restore strength function.

Grade II will typically heal over time without surgery,but may take a while - may be able to speed healing with ultrasound etc. that increase blood flow to ligaments.  There may be permanent loss of strength, but can usually recover over time.

Grade I can heal relatively quickly, especially with SOFTA treatment to keep swelling down and maintain range of motion while healing.

Is that immediate or something that would take time to notice?

Because homeboy launched a bomb of epic proportions on a dot the very next play. 

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And with all due respect right back at ya bud, that is basically what I did say.  He is credible on what might have have happened...his own personal speculation only.  But he has no updates, insight, or knowledge of what is actually going on with Josh Allen.  He is self diagnosing on what is possible, not what is actually the injury, if any, with Josh.  

So when I say he is not a credible source, I mean he has no credible medical information on what is or isn't currently wrong with Josh Allens elbow.  He just can list all the possible injuries, which includes no significant injury, that may happen on a play like that.  So again, its not anymore credible than anyone making a guess in terms to what the real diagnosis is on Allens actual elbow.  

Thats all I am saying

Um OK.  I'll take it as your intended meaning, and we disagree slightly - his credible medical info comes from watching what happened to the joint, and having years of education about what that motion can stress.

But you went further - you analogized a PhD PT with yourself as a tweener self-diagnosing syphilis based on WebMD

That's a bogus analogy.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets keep in mind, Josh did not get hurt running the ball, and he has never been hurt running the ball.  All of his injuries in college and pros came from throwing in the pocket.  

But, don't get me wrong, I am all for protecting Josh more if he plays through pain.  Minimize the risk...however, I feel a lot better when Josh rolls out then I do when he stays in the pocket because in the pocket is where Josh takes the vast majority of his biggest and most vulnerable hits.  

He got a concussion running the ball vs the Pats one year. He got held up in the line and someone came in and smacked him hard right in the helmet.

He also injured his should a couple of years ago throwing on the run and landing on it funny. Not running the ball on that one, but not in the pocket either.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Is that immediate or something that would take time to notice?

Because homeboy launched a bomb of epic proportions on a dot the very next play. 

I think that's why Trimble (Bangedup) says "hoping for Grade I" - if it were a severe grade II with muscles and ligaments torn, the function to do that might not be there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.