Need upgrades at WR

Jerry Jabber

16 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I did not know Davis has a 54% career catch rate and is sitting at 47% this year. 

That’s really, really, really bad.

It is bad, but Josh doesn't help him out there by throwing a lot of balls his way when he's covered like a blanket.  He has also failed to haul in a number of catches that I think most would call "makeable", in addition to his 3 scored drops (drop % 8%)

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

9 snaps for Shakir.  He's growing cobwebs

OK, then let's put it a different way.  Shakir had 15 snaps against KC and 17 snaps against GB.   If he's all that and a bag of chips in the slot, why isn't he gaining 'market share' of the snaps?  The coaches are stupid?

To give him his propers, on several plays I analyzed with all-22, Shakir was Wiiiiiiide open, like college open, like dial up Jimmy Johns open.

The same was true at times of McKenzie and of Knox.

Edited by Beck Water

9 hours ago, BananaB said:

Shakir has hardly seen the field. His only game where he got a decent amount of snaps our O looked the best it has all season.

That may have had to do with the fact that the secondary we faced was one of the worst we faced all season (Pittsburgh, missing several starters)

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Davis needs to get open more.  He is not getting consistent separation and has a catch rate of a dismal 54% on the season as a result.  I have been very high on Davis, and thought he had a shot to lead the team in yards and TD's this year with all the attention Diggs gets and his big play ability.  But facts are facts, it can't be over looked he is not getting open like we expected and has had some costly drops.  

Personally, I think Davis is struggling with the additional attention he is getting, especially with no one else (like a Beasley last year) being a serious threat elsewhere on the field.  Our slot production is a fraction what it was.

Its time to make Shakir a bigger focal point in the offense IMO.  We need someone there to step up, and its NOT McKenzie, to be another threat out there.  Because right now, we just saw 2 of the best secondaries in the league just clamp down on the big play threats of Diggs and Davis in the 2nd halves of these past 2 games and it threw our whole offense out of whack.  

We need to pose more of a threat else where to help open up our outside guys.  That includes running the ball and getting the RB's and Knox also more involved in the passing game.  

And we played right into it with allen and the playcalling.  Rather than exploit a team that's sitting in zone by running short quick stuff to any number of players, Allens back to holding the ball forever and freestyling.  5 sacks had to be the most in some time.  We even started a drive with shorter stuff and misdirection, mckenzie had a run and 2 catches, then a sneak for the 1st.  Felt like we were in business, and we ended up punting the game away right there basically.  

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It is bad, but Josh doesn't help him out there by throwing a lot of balls his way when he's covered like a blanket.  He has also failed to haul in a number of catches that I think most would call "makeable", in addition to his 3 scored drops (drop % 8%)

OK, then let's put it a different way.  Shakir had 15 snaps against KC and 17 snaps against GB.   If he's all that and a bag of chips in the slot, why isn't he gaining 'market share' of the snaps?  The coaches are stupid?

To give him his propers, on several plays I analyzed with all-22, Shakir was Wiiiiiiide open, like college open, like dial up Jimmy Johns open.

I think Allen is going to see a lot on this film.  he knows this loss is on him, but itll be more clear watching.  5 sacks, 2 bad picks on him, another 2 near picks, a bunch of dirted balls that should have been thrown better.  And thats not even getting into missing open receivers.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, whorlnut said:

Our playmakers are very underwhelming beyond Diggs. Our o line is garbage and we have no run game. Seemed Allen was running for his life at the snap more often than not today. Gotta start prioritizing the offense Beane. 

Some of this lies with Dorsey as well. Offense is looking somewhat stagnant / predictable.  Need to emphasize our strengths, must develop some running game by committing to it ( 8 carries, 24 yards won’t cut it) , need production from the slot ( shakir , Hines need production going forward ) , how bout more screens and quick slants to save Josh , consider moving the pocket, have to get Knox involved ( maybe look at KC’s film and use of Kelsey ).  Davis has been a let down regarding consistency tho , perhaps Beane could have parted with a higher pick to augment our wr before the trade deadline.  But I think dorsey is also experiencing growing pains. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, Jerry Jabber said:

I hate to say it, but losing Beasley and Sanders has hurt the Bills offense. The dropoff between Beasley and McKenzie has been huge. Since put in the #2 WR role, Davis hasn’t had the same kind of production. 

Hopefully Von’s recruitment of OBJ will payoff as we need a #2 WR. If that happens and Davis goes back to being a #3 WR, hopefully his production will go up. In regards to the slot receiver position, hopefully Hines will be used more in that role as McKenzie has underperformed in that role so far this season.

Gabe Davis is a better option than Emmanuel Sanders IMO, I agree that Beasley was Allen's safety blanket but that should now go to Dawson Know and hopefully this is a reason we signed RB Nyheim Hines. All 3 of our RB's can catch and we are seriously underutilizing them, I think Hines can be every bit as effective as Austin Ekeler in SD (In the passing game) since he's lethal in the open field. Knox, Hines need to step up in the passing game.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

is the conclusion Allen is not reading the D/field well?  

15 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The Knox contract is looking worse by the game

did you happen to catch the Bills-KC game?

Just now, Pete said:

did you happen to catch the Bills-KC game?did you happen to catch the Bills-KC game?

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Gabe Davis is a better option than Emmanuel Sanders IMO, I agree that Beasley was Allen's safety blanket but that should now go to Dawson Know and hopefully this is a reason we signed RB Nyheim Hines. All 3 of our RB's can catch and we are seriously underutilizing them, I think Hines can be every bit as effective as Austin Ekeler in SD (In the passing game) since he's lethal in the open field. Knox, Hines need to step up in the passing game.

I disagree about Davis being better than Sanders. Davis is good at catching balls when he’s open with no DB on him. But when he’s having to fend off a DB, he’s been struggling. With being a #2 WR, Davis is now going against teams top 2 DB’s and he hasn’t been consistent against them. When he was the Bills #3 WR, he was having more success.  

I’m hoping Hines will get up to speed quick and be an effective option in the offense. As far as Knox goes, I put some blame on him as well as Dorsey. Dorsey needs to make adjustments to put receivers in better positions.

Well come contract time, I’m thinking Gabe will have to find his $$ somewhere else. He’s that super luxury Ferrari. Every once in a while it gets taken out on the open road and performs amazing things.  But mostly you need it to drive to work and be useful on the crowded roads. Hmmmm. Not sure where i’m going here. Lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I disagree about Davis being better than Sanders. Davis is good at catching balls when he’s open with no DB on him. But when he’s having to fend off a DB, he’s been struggling. With being a #2 WR, Davis is now going against teams top 2 DB’s and he hasn’t been consistent against them. When he was the Bills #3 WR, he was having more success.  

I’m hoping Hines will get up to speed quick and be an effective option in the offense. As far as Knox goes, I put some blame on him as well as Dorsey. Dorsey needs to make adjustments to put receivers in better positions.

Agree to disagree on Davis, I feel he's doing a fine job, already tied Sanders whole season in TD with 4 last year, less than 200 yards away from surpassing Sanders in yards and is averaging a awesome 25.1 yards per catch so I'm not sure what more you want from the guy, it's only year 1 as a full time starter. 

I agree with [partial blame on Dorsey and Knox but Knox is definitely going through some things most likely due to his brother passing away. I figure though Knox will pick it up at some point and I really hope Dorsey utilizes Hines also. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Agree to disagree on Davis, I feel he's doing a fine job, already tied Sanders whole season in TD with 4 last year, less than 200 yards away from surpassing Sanders in yards and is averaging a awesome 25.1 yards per catch so I'm not sure what more you want from the guy, it's only year 1 as a full time starter. 

I agree with [partial blame on Dorsey and Knox but Knox is definitely going through some things most likely due to his brother passing away. I figure though Knox will pick it up at some point and I really hope Dorsey utilizes Hines also. 

I can sympathize with Knox as I lost my brother 25 years ago, it’s a devastating thing to go through. 

1 minute ago, ßookie_tech said:

Once they recommit to the run game, things will begin to open up. 

I disagree. We haven’t had a run game in a few years. Things were “opened up” last year and the year before. The problem is the overall talent of the receiving corp outside of Diggs. Hence the reason for this thread. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.