Need upgrades at WR

Jerry Jabber

I know a lot of people on TBD didn't like Beasley but McKenzie/Shakir haven't come close to matching his production (82 catches last season).  There is an art to playing slot and Mck/Shakir don't have it.  Shakir may develop into a fine slot receiver but as a rookie he looks lost out there. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I know a lot of people on TBD didn't like Beasley but McKenzie/Shakir haven't come close to matching his production (82 catches last season).  There is an art to playing slot and Mck/Shakir don't have it.  Shakir may develop into a fine slot receiver but as a rookie he looks lost out there. 

I was a big Beasley fan.  He was great in the slot, not many better.  I feared this would happen when we did not retain him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Shakir has hardly seen the field. His only game where he got a decent amount of snaps our O looked the best it has all season.

McKenzie was suppose to fill that roll and he isn’t working out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

He did have two bad drops that both ended drives.

He has only 38 targets, yet 451 yards for a whopping 25 YPC and 18.4 YAC.  He has 3 drops all season and 4 of his intended targets were INTs tossed by Josh.

But yes, by all means, a demotion is in order....

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

How many snaps has Shakir had? How many routes has he run? 

How many targets has he gotten in the last 2 games? How many receptions does he have on those targets?

C'mon man.  Shakir isn't sitting on the bench growing cobwebs. 

9 snaps for Shakir.  He's growing cobwebs

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He has only 38 targets, yet 451 yards for a whopping 25 YPC and 18.4 YAC.  He has 3 drops all season and 4 of his intended targets were INTs tossed by Josh.

Oh look stats and not even advanced ones. He's MIA for two weeks now and dropping critical balls.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He had two drops yesterday, or do they not count as drops when the ball hits you right in the chest? Do ya gotta have your hands on it for it to be a drop. Either way he’s playing terrible. We don’t need a 25 yard a catch average, we need the basic plays to be caught to move the chains. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

He had two drops yesterday, or do they not count as drops when the ball hits you right in the chest? Do ya gotta have your hands on it for it to be a drop. Either way he’s playing terrible. We don’t need a 25 yard a catch average, we need the basic plays to be caught to move the chains. 

These are his stats.  Take it up with the provider if you disagree with them.

Davis needs more targets, plain and simple.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not a WR1 or WR2. He’s an occasional deep ball WR. 

who do you think taught him that clapping technique?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So more balls can hit the ground? 46% catch rate. He’s needs to play better before he gets more targets

Edited by BananaB

19 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I hate to say it, but losing Beasley and Sanders has hurt the Bills offense. The dropoff between Beasley and McKenzie has been huge. Since put in the #2 WR role, Davis hasn’t had the same kind of production. 

Hopefully Von’s recruitment of OBJ will payoff as we need a #2 WR. If that happens and Davis goes back to being a #3 WR, hopefully his production will go up. In regards to the slot receiver position, hopefully Hines will be used more in that role as McKenzie has underperformed in that role so far this season.

I don't know what type of dirt McKenzie has on this organization, but he should have never been resigned again and again when he's proven that he's a marginal NFL player whose ceiling is exactly what's it's been every year here.

Still not sure OBJ would make much a difference either also coming off a serious injury that he's not even 12 months removed from yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

2nd pick shakir is wide tf open and allen never even looked to that side of the field.  He had very poor eye discipline in this one and it showed.  He didn't manipulate the jets at all when they played zone, it was actually quite the opposite.  

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't know what type of dirt McKenzie has on this organization, but he should have never been resigned again and again when he's proven that he's a marginal NFL player whose ceiling is exactly what's it's been every year here.

Still not sure OBJ would make much a difference either also coming off a serious injury that he's not even 12 months removed from yet.

Totally agree. I was very vocal from the beginning about hating the McKenzie signing. I figured it would eliminate any chance we had at getting a top receiver in the draft and it did. Then again…most of the top guys were gone, but sky moore was there. Shakir might pan out, but right now mckenzie is holding this team back. 

22 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I hate to say it, but losing Beasley and Sanders has hurt the Bills offense. The dropoff between Beasley and McKenzie has been huge. Since put in the #2 WR role, Davis hasn’t had the same kind of production. 

Hopefully Von’s recruitment of OBJ will payoff as we need a #2 WR. If that happens and Davis goes back to being a #3 WR, hopefully his production will go up. In regards to the slot receiver position, hopefully Hines will be used more in that role as McKenzie has underperformed in that role so far this season.

I was attacked a lot all off season when I repeatedly said McKenzie was NOT a starting level slot WR.  I repeatedly said that Beasley today is substantially still better than McKenzie.  But this board is fundamentally flawed in player evaluation where the only quality it see is straight line speed.  They think that is the most important skill and that is all they focus on.  But McKenzie isnt tough, doesn't run great routes, can't catch in traffic, cant fight for yards, doesn't win contested catches, and isn't a cerebal player...all things that Cole excelled at.

I actually felt that the offense was better off after Davis ascended past Sanders last year, so I wasn't worried about losing him.  I have to say, while Davis has flashed his big play ability again, he is really struggling right now with catching the ball and getting open consistently.  

I was always fine signing OBJ, but I didn't think we "needed" too nor did I think we would offer enough money and long enough deal for him to come here anyway.  But, I have to say, with Davis struggling like this, I think signing OBJ is something that we actually should really be considering right now.  

But...I will also say this.  Dorsey needs to make adjustments.  Big plays were coming to easy, and he needs to figure out how to get our other weapons more involved like Knox, Shakir, Devin, Cook, and now Hines.  These are all guys who should be utilized better and see us get back to spreading the ball around again instead of just always pushing it down field.  I really thought Dorsey would involve the TE more this year, but Knox only has 1 more target than he did last year.  Knox has been used to pass block a lot, and that has been needed and something he does well, but there are still more opportunities to get him involved.  Especially in the redzone.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

who do you think taught him that clapping technique?

Davis needs to get open more.  He is not getting consistent separation and has a catch rate of a dismal 54% on the season as a result.  I have been very high on Davis, and thought he had a shot to lead the team in yards and TD's this year with all the attention Diggs gets and his big play ability.  But facts are facts, it can't be over looked he is not getting open like we expected and has had some costly drops.  

Personally, I think Davis is struggling with the additional attention he is getting, especially with no one else (like a Beasley last year) being a serious threat elsewhere on the field.  Our slot production is a fraction what it was.

Its time to make Shakir a bigger focal point in the offense IMO.  We need someone there to step up, and its NOT McKenzie, to be another threat out there.  Because right now, we just saw 2 of the best secondaries in the league just clamp down on the big play threats of Diggs and Davis in the 2nd halves of these past 2 games and it threw our whole offense out of whack.  

We need to pose more of a threat else where to help open up our outside guys.  That includes running the ball and getting the RB's and Knox also more involved in the passing game.  

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was attacked a lot all off season when I repeatedly said McKenzie was NOT a starting level slot WR.  I repeatedly said that Beasley today is substantially still better than McKenzie.  But this board is fundamentally flawed in player evaluation where the only quality it see is straight line speed.  They think that is the most important skill and that is all they focus on.  But McKenzie isnt tough, doesn't run great routes, can't catch in traffic, cant fight for yards, doesn't win contested catches, and isn't a cerebal player...all things that Cole excelled at.

I actually felt that the offense was better off after Davis ascended past Sanders last year, so I wasn't worried about losing him.  I have to say, while Davis has flashed his big play ability again, he is really struggling right now with catching the ball and getting open consistently.  

I was always fine signing OBJ, but I didn't think we "needed" too nor did I think we would offer enough money and long enough deal for him to come here anyway.  But, I have to say, with Davis struggling like this, I think signing OBJ is something that we actually should really be considering right now.  

But...I will also say this.  Dorsey needs to make adjustments.  Big plays were coming to easy, and he needs to figure out how to get our other weapons more involved like Knox, Shakir, Devin, Cook, and now Hines.  These are all guys who should be utilized better and see us get back to spreading the ball around again instead of just always pushing it down field.  I really thought Dorsey would involve the TE more this year, but Knox only has 1 more target than he did last year.  Knox has been used to pass block a lot, and that has been needed and something he does well, but there are still more opportunities to get him involved.  Especially in the redzone.

Agreed 100%

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.