NFL Week #9 - 11/6/2022 - The Bills at the (NJ) Jets - Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

7 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

IIRC, with the first touchdown drive, the defense got off the field and then Special Teams messed the bed.

For the second touchdown Josh gave their offense great field position.

Arguably, the defense were solely responsible for just six points on Sunday. They even stopped a well positioned drove when we kicked off out of bounds. The final drive was horrific but they were gassed.

And TOP isn’t everything - look at us at the Fins. It’s being sensible with the ball when we had it and we weren’t.

I’m not saying that there are not issues with the defense as there clearly is. But would I say the defeat was down to them on Sunday? Maybe shockingly, no.

TOP is big if you want to keep it a close game.  Bills are built to play KC and run that race.  like I said if the defense gives up running yards and eats up the clock it affords the offense limited possessions.  Minnesota will test this defense with Cook.  Time to put up or shut up about being a top defense.  

On 11/6/2022 at 4:35 PM, Mango said:

He seems to be overly reliant on Diggs. Last drive/injury aside, better QB play likely wins this game for Buffalo. 

Those INTs we’re head scratchers. Khalil was  open, why even think about that Diggs throw. 

I somewhat blame Dorsey for not settling Josh down and getting  the Off into a rhythm of run/ pass called plays from the booth.

and yes it is tough to watch these other players open or getting open while Josh is waiting for Diggs.  He seemingly locks onto a player  at times
 Allen is still a work in progress, and that why i wish we used the run game more to keep the Jets Packers Def etc , honest.
Dorsey gets excitable too it seems ?  

On 11/7/2022 at 1:04 PM, st pete gogolak said:

What sets me over the edge about a game like this is that after six games this season you could say a couple of things confidently about this team: (1) run defense is much improved and (2) our QB is front runner for MVP.  Questions about the offensive line?  Sure.  Lack of running game outside of Allen?  OK.  But what lets us down in the last 2 games (run D) and last 6 quarters (QB play) are the things that absolutely aren't supposed to happen.  I still don't get the run D.  It wasn't just the stats (1st or 2nd in YPG and YPA in the league) but they were passing the eyeball test.  Teams just weren't having any success running on them.  Last two games?  Poof.  It all goes away.  I'd be interested in any film study that could really break down teh difference between first six and last two games.  Josh?  Unless it's an injury, it's really inexplicable.  

I think this is pretty reasonable insight Pete .

22 hours ago, Nitro said:

Defense is not fine.  Yes allowed only 20 points but played poor run defense.   Gashed again and that eats up the clock.  Bills only got 4 possessions in the second half.  That is on the defense.  Time of possession is an important factor.  That book now is keep it close by running the ball and force Allen into mistakes.  If the coaches fail to come up with solutions, the Bills are in trouble.

Turnovers by Offense come into play here , No ?

Edited by 3rdand12

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

A lot of people thought McD should have challenge the BS ref call on the clear Edmonds int. I seen this tweet today

There's a replay on Twitter that CLEARLY shows the jets wr not even with 1 hand on the ball.

That's ridiculous that's actually a rule smh

Would it have mattered? We got a t.o later in drive n Allen gave it right back

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

There's a replay on Twitter that CLEARLY shows the jets wr not even with 1 hand on the ball.

That's ridiculous that's actually a rule smh

Would it have mattered? We got a t.o later in drive n Allen gave it right back

Yeah, I seen the clear footage.  A ref telling him that is BS.  It might have mattered.  We dont know what change happens when something else before it changes. Maybe all the playcalls change and the int doesnt happen.  Who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I seen the clear footage.  A ref telling him that is BS.  It might have mattered.  We dont know what change happens when something else before it changes. Maybe all the playcalls change and the int doesnt happen.  Who knows?

I agree

On 11/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, Nitro said:

Defense is not fine.  Yes allowed only 20 points but played poor run defense.   Gashed again and that eats up the clock.  Bills only got 4 possessions in the second half.  That is on the defense.  Time of possession is an important factor.  That book now is keep it close by running the ball and force Allen into mistakes.  If the coaches fail to come up with solutions, the Bills are in trouble.

Allen was not "forced into mistakes" whatsoever in the Jets game. Those were 100% on him and Gabe. Unforced errors are the most frustrating of all errors and just about the only way this team loses games with a healthy Allen.

Watch what Josh does as soon as he’s hit and the ball comes out - it’s best seen from the end zone view.  

He immediately puts both arms on the DE that hit him to tries and stop him from potentially getting to the ball.   

Not the immediate reaction you’d give if seriously hurt - try and stop a 275 lb DE from getting to the ball instead of protecting yourself.  Then of course the 70 yard laser.     

Just trying to add some positivity.  I’ll be stunned if I heard anything worse then 1-2 weeks.  

And because of that, don’t be surprised if tomorrow you hear (again) “We don’t know how long just taking it day by day.”

Competitive advantage and what not.  

Edited by Big Blitz

24 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He es been confused a lot lately.

Not really. The Jets confused him. His mistakes in the 4th quarter of the Green Bay game was just him getting lazy and playing unmotivated football in a game that we had in the bag at halftime. I really do give a lot of credit to the Jets defense. They ran a defense like ours - take away deep throws, confuse the coverage to make the QB hesitate, force the aggressive offense to remain patient and hope for mistakes. And their front 4 is legit.

13 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Allen was not "forced into mistakes" whatsoever in the Jets game. Those were 100% on him and Gabe. Unforced errors are the most frustrating of all errors and just about the only way this team loses games with a healthy Allen.

Pass rush making him move and lose sight of the DB in the Red zone.  That is by definition forced into an error.  It does not mean INTs either.  Pressure leads to bad pass attempts.  Allen was off most of the game because the O line could not consistently sustain the pocket.

4 hours ago, Nitro said:

Pass rush making him move and lose sight of the DB in the Red zone.  That is by definition forced into an error.  It does not mean INTs either.  Pressure leads to bad pass attempts.  Allen was off most of the game because the O line could not consistently sustain the pocket.

I do agree with you that the pass protection was poor at times throughout the game and seemed to have Josh making odd choices at times. The line of site argument to me not a forced error. That is an unfortunate happen stance. Its kinda like when a D-line gets a tipped pass or two as a benefactor of being so poor at beating the O lineman across from them, that all they can do is wait and jump and hope to get a piece of the ball. Its not like the DE had penetrated so far into Josh's face, otherwise I wouldn't have used the example. The other pick was also not pressure based. Gabe ran the wrong route and Josh, for some crazy reason still threw the ball where Gabe was supposed to be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.