NFL Week #9 - 11/6/2022 - The Bills at the (NJ) Jets - Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

The only experienced, (arguably) quality, players we had out there were Edmunds and Miller. We probably were a bit lost.

ETA - Oh and Phillips. Can’t even recall Oliver being mentioned.

Oliver led all DLinemen in tackles.

Phillips played very poorly for the second week in a row.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Random thought …

What happened to Cook?

Were his touches too productive early on?  

Shakir treatment?.. oh, you make plays as a rookie?.. To the bench with you. 

McDermott always gives the veterans more playing time , even if the young guys are better. He’s needs to rethink that. Because McKenzie isn’t doing nothing!!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Oliver led all DLinemen in tackles.

Phillips played very poorly for the second week in a row.

I feel like JP is getting too many reps for his skill set. He’s a very good penetrator but not great at the point of attack. I like him in third downs

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't mind us using this base nickel, but if you have a team like (GB- no wrs) or NYJ ( mediocre qb) you gotta adjust out of this nickel. They're going to run the damn ball. As will Dalvin Cook next weekend. This incessant stubborn strategy to stay in the nickel forever is just foolish. Good teams should be making adjustments weekly.

So you take Taron off the field (who might be out best DB aside from Poyer when he plays) and what other mediocre LB do you put in there (assuming Edmunds and Milano are in there)? Benard or Dodson? I don't see either of them moving the needle more than Taron, especially Bernard today woof

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

I keep coming back to the fact that Allen said he didn’t do anything but rest and recover this offseason.

With the benefit of hindsight, Allen hasn’t just had two bad games. He’s certainly looked bad. The guy recently reinvented and retooled his natural throwing motion. Not hugely surprising the whole system looks wonky midway through the season. 

I know in my sport it would take years to make the smallest adjustments permanent and applicable under both physical and mental pressure. I couldn’t imagine not doing anything to reinforce that between world championship seasons.  

My "fan" eye sees Allen with happy feet, tunnel vision, and poor mechanics like throwing off his back foot. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If we played the Titans now rather than when we did, I would wager the outcome would be very different.

They were better when we played them honestly.  Malik Willis will get there but he’s less effective than tannehill at the moment 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Disagree 1

Also,  Can Vegas stop with the double digit road favorites nonsense?! That was such a nonsensical point spread i actually won a few bucks.  Not sure why i didn’t bet the mortgage. I’m kicking myself. It felt like the Jets Super Bowl even before the game started.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They were better when we played them honestly.  Malik Willis will get there but he’s less effective than Tannehill at the moment 

True, but whatever they were doing at the beginning of the year, their offense wasn't all on the same page with Henry.  He didn't do much of anything against us when we played then.  I kinda cringe thinking about playing him now.

21 minutes ago, 97bills said:

McDermott always gives the veterans more playing time , even if the young guys are better. He’s needs to rethink that. Because McKenzie isn’t doing nothing!!!! 

IMO, Shakir should be in there, not McKenzie. Period.

Just now, newcam2012 said:

You think this current Bills defense could stop Henry and Wilis from running wild? 

I don't even want to think about it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

This actually feels like an early criticism of Allen. It is almost deja vu. We’ve had this conversation before. 

As much as the Bills say they want a receiving back, they don’t actually want one. We spent two years benching Yeldon, to draft Cook, to then trade for Hines. 

Threw to Cook twice.  Got a first down.  Then threw a hospital ball that got Cook lit up and somehow that meant no more Cook. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mango said:

I keep coming back to the fact that Allen said he didn’t do anything but rest and recover this offseason.

With the benefit of hindsight, Allen hasn’t just had two bad games. He’s certainly looked bad. The guy recently reinvented and retooled his natural throwing motion. Not hugely surprising the whole system looks wonky midway through the season. 

I know in my sport it would take years to make the smallest adjustments permanent and applicable under both physical and mental pressure. I couldn’t imagine not doing anything to reinforce that between world championship seasons.  

This is the funniest thing I’ve read on TBD in a long time 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Also,  Can Vegas stop with the double digit road favorites nonsense?! That was such a nonsensical point spread i actually won a few bucks.  Not sure why i didn’t bet the mortgage. I’m kicking myself. It felt like the Jets Super Bowl even before the game started.

"Road favorite"

That place was 50% Bills fans. If anything it was a neutral site. I have pictures but they're too big to post on here. Bills Mafia was in the building!! Brutal but humbling Loss

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I feel like JP is getting too many reps for his skill set. He’s a very good penetrator but not great at the point of attack. I like him in third downs

I agree with this 100% and not just because I don't trust Phillips (which I admittedly do not), but I think the Bills coaches are so slavishly inflexible with their rotation that they're hurting themselves at critical moments. Today was a fine example when the Jets got the ball inside their own 5 with about 7:00 left and who comes trotting on the field but Jordan Phillips. 10 seconds after my wife told me to stop grumbling about it, the Jets were on the move.

The reason they run that rotation in the first place is so they can have everybody fresh at crunch time, but when crunch time comes around it's time to get your best players out there. Ed Oliver should have been out there to start that series right next to Settle or Jones, as opposed to Phillips who still spends way too much time trying to slip blocks instead of aggressively engaging OLinemen to stone opposing offenses like he should be. 

Somebody on that staff needs to sit him down and explain to him that if he continues to go out there and play for himself and hang his teammates out to dry, he's going to end up right back in Arizona or some other place that is looking for a glory hound. Guy's got a ton of talent but until he starts playing more like a fighter than a dancer, he's always going to be a liability at key moments.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.