NFL Week #9 - 11/6/2022 - The Bills at the (NJ) Jets - Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

• Simon locked this topic
1 hour ago, muppy said:

my confidence is not as high in any game without Poyer and Milano on defense. As far as Josh is concerned oh My .... *cringe* Knowing him he wont be kept out of a game unless its really bad. We shall see.

in retrospect I wonder what has caused #17 to misjudge the plays he has chosen to throw and had picked. Is he indeed not realizing the coverages or is it something more.  He wants to perform at a high level at least as much as we fans do. If Not More.

10 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

The D is fine 

We gave up 20 points on the road with 2 terrible to's

We gave up 17 last week 

Our offense scored 20 points in the last 6 Quarters

They're the issue and it's getting concerning 

👍

The season the NY Giants won the SB with Phil Simms at QB in 1986. They went up to Seattle and lost 12-17 with both teams 5-2 at that time....Simms sacked 7x and threw 4 INTs.

Stuff happens and it's why they say on "any given Sunday".

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

But if Josh is off, as he was, then adapt. The only way we were going to win was pound and ground; don’t be too proud or egotistical to take it.

That’s a fair point on the offensive side.

I still don’t like the defensive game plan at all though in terms of being passive 

• Simon unlocked this topic
8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The entire team absolutely sucked today but you punt that ball inside their 10, you absolutely do not let them score on that drive. Jesus Christ we should have had the ball back at midfield. Not only did we not, they ran the clock out and scored. That’s inexcusable. The offense was terrible but it was Zach Wilson. Get a ***** stop. 20 points to that offense isn’t good. Get up and make a stop with the game on the line 

Considering Allen gifted them 7 points with his interception inside the Jets 20 the defense didn’t lose that game.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Do you honestly think teams going into games thinking they can’t win? Of course every team is “beatable.” No team is going into a game saying “well, let’s just kill these next 3 hours.” These are professional athletes, this isn’t high school or college-I’m honestly not sure this game did much either way as to how teams view the Bills. They just may have a better idea of what to do to try and beat them 

I think you are taking things out of context. Of course teams play to win and belief they can if they execute and the other team (if a lot better) plays poorly. I think that dominate teams have a psychological effects on less talented teams. I don't think you can under estimate the mindset of a player. It's often why good teams win close games and vice versa. Take today's game as an example. Couldn't you feel that the young Jets started to believe they could and would win? How confident were you that Allen would led the team to a game winning TD? 

In summary, the Bills psychological edge has been diminished greatly. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel. 

Just now, Nihilarian said:

👍

The season the NY Giants won the SB with Phil Simms at QB in 1986. They went up to Seattle and lost 12-17 with both teams 5-2 at that time....Simms sacked 7x and threw 4 INTs.

Stuff happens and it's why they say on "any given Sunday".

As said elsewhere, the Bucs faced the Saints at home and got turned over 38-3 in 2020. One game doesn’t make a season. The worrying thing is the trends on both sides of the ball carried over from the back end of the Packers game into this one. I have some sympathy for the defense considering who was missing; none for the offense.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

That’s a fair point on the offensive side.

I still don’t like the defensive game plan at all though in terms of being passive 

On defense some of it was passivity but, like against the Packers, some of it was execution. How many tackles did we miss today?

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

As said elsewhere, the Bucs faced the Saints at home and got turned over 38-3 in 2020. One game doesn’t make a season. The worrying thing is the trends on both sides of the ball carried over from the back end of the Packers game into this one. I have some sympathy for the defense considering who was missing; none for the offense.

On defense some of it was passivity but, like against the Packers, some of it was execution. How many tackles did we miss today?

Dozens 

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

But when you’re in a nickel defence against heavy sets all game when you know the other team wants to run the ball ? Not a good look IMO

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

But when you’re in a nickel defence against heavy sets all game when you know the other team wants to run the ball ? Not a good look IMO

The issue was we seemed to have no passing plan against Garrett Wilson. So if we pushed them to pass, they’d find it too easy to execute in the back field. I do think our plans would have been different had we not been missing Milano and Poyer.

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you are taking things out of context. Of course teams play to win and belief they can if they execute and the other team (if a lot better) plays poorly. I think that dominate teams have a psychological effects on less talented teams. I don't think you can under estimate the mindset of a player. It's often why good teams win close games and vice versa. Take today's game as an example. Couldn't you feel that the young Jets started to believe they could and would win? How confident were you that Allen would led the team to a game winning TD? 

In summary, the Bills psychological edge has been diminished greatly. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel. 

If the offense isn't scoring almost at will, it seems the whole team struggles because of it.  I had a feeling the 2nd half of last week was going to carry over to this week.  Lots of people here flamed me for ringing alarm bells that the GB game plan exposed Frazier's use of Nickel as our base D all the time.  The only responses I got were "we were winning by 17".  OK, and as I said last week, Frazier is too stubborn and rigid to make the adjustments he needs to based on what the offense is doing. Jets clearly were focused on running, but Frazier is more worried about preventing the deep ball.

Jets do a copy/paste of what GB was doing against our Nickel in the second half and Frazier wants to act like we are up the 17 pts we were last week. That is why he's not getting any phone calls for HC.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Lots of people here flamed me for ringing alarm bells that the GB game plan exposed Frazier's use of Nickel as our base D all the time

Yes, nobody in the NFL had noticed on film that the Bills run a base nickel until last week. :lol::lol::doh:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yes, nobody in the NFL had noticed on film that the Bills run a base nickel until last week. :lol::lol::doh:

What teams committed to the run and exposed it the way GB and the Jets did?

Other teams didn't because the Bills had big leads and had to throw.  GB was the first team that bothered, even though they were losing.

If the Bills offense isn't making it easy for their defense, the Nickel is going to struggle because teams do not have to abandon the run to try and close the gap on the scoreboard.

And can someone explain to me why you need to be running base Nickel against Zach Wilson anyway?  Another excuse I was given last week too was basically the "Aaron Rodgers factor". OK, Zach Wilson is about as far as you can get from Aaron Rodgers at this point.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Please, enlighten me on what petty means then. You’re upset because god forbid he does something outside of football, as if people aren’t able to multitask or stay focused on the task at hand. What did Josh do today that made him look distracted? Give specific examples. I’m sure he was thinking about his Gillette commercials or his podcast in the middle of the third quarter….give me a break

I am upset? Enlighten me on how you came to that conclusion.  You are projecting.

As for what petty means, geez look it up.  I should not have to do your work for you.

My goodness you look petty in this thread.  Give specific examples? Are you serious, did you watch the game? Josh threw interceptions that literally by any measure were bizarre....like right at the defender with no receiver close.  Sure, there will be reasons given, but his reads and throws were off. This is not to mention his really surprising lack of pocket awareness and forcing balls to receivers that he seemed to have developed out of.  His apparent audibles also did not seem to work or he did not audible into a play that seemed to have a chance.  All this, to me anyway, leads to him being distracted.  Which is not an usual place to be in life.  We all have been distracted in life with trying to do too many things at times.

You are free to disagree, as this is a message board.  

Finally, give you a break? I have.  A lot here.  Ponder that for a moment.

Take care. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.