NFL Week #9 - 11/6/2022 - The Bills at the (NJ) Jets - Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

7 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Have we lost 8 straight coin flips or do we not defer if we win the toss?  I thought losing the toss (or not deferring) bit us in the rear today.  Jets score late first half and control opening drive of second half.  Both losses involve missed from Bass (yeah, 55 yards but it would have restored some momentum going into the half.  Both losses have horrible plays from Q-Berry directly contributing to loss.  Ugh.  

We have lost 8 straight flips. McDermott always defers.

• Shocked 1

51 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

This was the kind of JV crap I was resigned to during SO MANY years of 8-8 seasons...- but I thought we were supposed to be a superbowl team now???  Nope.  

Allen needs to stop believing all the media hype around him, shave that mustache and stop throwing INTS at the ten yard line. 

Teams have figured out all you need to do is pressure him and he gets hyper and he caves.    And then just run it on our Defense and you'll win.  If Green bay weren't terrible we would've lost that game in the second half...

it's movember - mustache is for cancer awareness.  It's not affecting his accuracy

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, In Summary said:

I hate when our D line gets pushed around and we can't stop the run.

You sound like Rex Ryan.  He commented on that after a loss when he was HC.

I think he felt it was effeminate and a sign of masculine "weakness" that a team ran on us.

This is an outdated way to think.

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Refs were awful.  Allen was awful.  Dorsey was awful.  Davis was awful.  Frazier was awful.  Jaquan Johnson doesn't belong on a football field.

The phantom hold call there at the 3nd was weird. Ignored a bunch of calls on both sides early and called that.  They ignored a roughing call on both QBs, too

Does Dorsey actually design a game plan. Every game seems the same, no imagination, no running game. He was my biggest concern coming into the season and still is. We won with talent early on, now teams have a strategy against us and we can't do much. Need to figure out how to use Knox, Davis, get a running game going outside of Allen.

Allen has looked like crap too.

But we won the NY/NJ argument , so there's something.

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The holding call was rough, but Allen getting the ball stripped is what killed us.  There was plenty of time otherwise.

You’re blaming Allen for holding onto the ball for all of two seconds with no timeouts on a first and 20 trying to throw downfield I see 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

4 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

The Bills social media team does the same thing. I thought it was well played indeed. Let’s go get ‘em next time. 

The Bills social media usually makes sense though. They should've saved it for if they beat us in Orchard Park, its going to come back and bite them in the ass.

Edited by What a Tuel

I'm less worried about the defense overall.  They're trying to form a solid D out of dental floss and chewing gum at this point.  The D-Line is hung out to dry by the walking wounded we have as our Secondary.  If we can get our stars healthy and out on the field (and keep them there), the D will be fine.

Special teams leave me feeling a lil gassy.  Uncomfortable, but not a point of concern yet.  We needed that three b/f halftime.  While we got bailed out, that kickoff OoB was terrible, and not the first this season.  The Jets seemed to gash our coverage on returns.

Offense worries me.  We need to establish a run game, and fail to do so.  Something is wrong with Josh.  Not sure if it's physical wear down or psychological, but he has not been right for six quarters now.  We need improvement at WR and hope that we can still land OBJ (which until this game I didn't see an urgent need to do).  I'd like to see Shakir involved more.  I reserve judgement on Hines as he just got here and is still learning, but he looked good on that deep overthrow.  Cook looked good, too.  I'd like to see far more of those two going forward.  The O-line is under siege.  I still recall a perfectly dialed screen pass that resulted in two blockers running right past the defender that ultimately stuffed the play.  Most of this can be corrected, and I have hope.

Coaching.  I have defended this staff for the most part over the years, but this was a horribly coached game.  We finally figure out we need to run the ball, and then try doing nothing but run.  Cook looked good all game, but gets pulled for the veteran when the game gets dicey.  To much indecision.  Someone needed to settle that team down, both sides of the ball, and it never happened.  Blame the head coach for that, and to a lesser degree the coordinators.  However, the coordinators are fully to blame in other areas.  Like a poor guy trapped in a office meeting with 100 degree heat and women in the room, no adjustments were made at all.  That concerns me.  Maybe not so much defense, because our tattered backfield made adjustments difficult, but there is no excuse for lack of offensive adjustments.  Games can be won or lost on these (ref: Cincy @ KC), and right now we don't seem up to the task.

I am not at a point where I'm predicting doom and gloom.  I still believe we are one of the best teams in the NFL.  That said, I'm not keeping rose-colored glasses on.  This team has holes at this point.  Some should fill themselves, like getting our D healthy.  Others can be filled, such as getting OBJ, running more and better mixing run and pass, getting a QB whispered to find out what's up with Josh and so on.  I hope this game is a reality check.  This team isn't going to cruise control to a Championship.  I still have faith though, that they can fight and claw a way to one.

6 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I just want to discuss the notion we've never found a short outlet guy to replace Beasley. 

That's been a huge problem...

Coupled with our lousy screen execution/ inability to run this basic NFL play, we've gotten worse on our need to go down field into high risk throws.....

I think Shakir can be that guy. Unfortunately most of the plays go to Stefan and Gabe. He threw some dump offs to Cook, but Knox and Shakir had nothing. I think the Jets D outsmarted our OC and Josh didn’t have the answers.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

You sound like Rex Ryan.  He commented on that after a loss when he was HC.

I think he felt it was effeminate and a sign of masculine "weakness" that a team ran on us.

This is an outdated way to think.

So it's not a bad thing they got pushed around & got ran all over for a 2nd week in a row? 

ahem my real thoughts about this Loss....................... losing sucks. we can all agree on that.

The difference is I think this team will recover as they regain key personnel off of injuries.

Also  I think Dorsey and Frazier need to make better adjustments and decisions on what plays to call to stifle what our opposition does that has worked against us.  

Basically use our strengths to defeat theirs. Today they beat us. They made the plays that mattered in the final outcome we didn't.

On to the next game. Lets see if Hines could conceivably be the piece we need to replace Cole Beasley....

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m not too worried about it still. It stinks that both our losses are division losses but each have been on the road with half our defense missing.

Josh has had some uncharacteristic miscues the last 1.5 games but has been unbelievably good the past season. As long as his arm isn’t injured he will bounce back. 

Lastly, Green Bay put on tape that we are vulnerable against the run and the Jets used that to limit Wilson’s attempts and control the clock. The Bills will need to figure that out. When we are a little more healthy, I have faith McDermott and Frazier can get it fixed. 

We are 6-2, still atop the AFC. Go Bills!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.