NFL teams want trade deadline moved

Steel City Mafia

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If they are a 3 win team 10 weeks in with Leonard, Taylor and Pittman, how much weaker do they become after such trades?  

I don't see an owner letting his lame duck HC/GM gut the roster on their way out the door.

I don't even want to open up the possibility. Deadline should stay where it is.

Keep it where it is. We don't need a rental league.

If they want to do anything than expand the roster to 58, 51 active on GameDay with a eligible positions as emergency only similar to the emergency QB.  With the extra 5 players we could have an OL, offensive Skill, DL, Defensive Skill, QB, and Special teamer as a reserve GameDay backup. 

For those that do not know, this player can only enter the game when the designated position they cover no longer has their starter or backup able to enter the game. This began to change when players like Slash/Kordell Stewart entered the game. He would play multiple positions but was the backup QB.

The downfall is there are not enough talented NFL players. So these players would be weekly PS players not stashed on active rosters, which allows the NFLPA to not fuss they're taking money away from the vets. 

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Why even have a deadline? If someone is willing to give up picks to try and win then let them do it. It would benefit the bad teams more than the good teams. There's still a salary cap so you can't grab every good player to make a super team because you still need to afford them

Because as you go later and later in the season - a high priced player suddenly becomes more and more affordable as it becomes a per game basis.

Teams near the salary cap could suddenly pick up a stud WR week 16 or 17 and it cost less than 1 million against the cap.

I would rather see no trades - you got you team and then anyone off the PS and FA pool - than see the trade deadline extended so mediocre teams can buy a cheep championship.

This would be nothing more than change for the sake of change….

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Being British you may not know this, but you just described Major League Baseball. The season is 6 months long and the deadline is at the end of the fourth month. Every year there is a lot of discussion of which teams are buyers and which are sellers. Teams with strong financial situations can use the first four months as an evaluation period and fix it all at the deadline. The Atlanta Braves were one game under .500 in 2021 at the deadline. They revamped their team at the deadline by trading for 5 players and went on to win the World Series. A whole bunch of franchises serve as de facto development teams for the big market teams. It’s the same dynamic that saw Everton sell a peak Wayne Rooney to Manchester United. I want to avoid that for the NFL in any way possible. The fact that I’m saying all this as a bitter Reds fan doesn’t make it any less true.

The late trading deadline does give smaller market MLB teams a chance to compete in the playoffs. The rich, large market teams will almost always be in the thick of the playoff and championship hunts most years. A small market team that have a good team in a given year can make late trades to complete with the big boys in the short term, often just that season. Other small market teams (SMTs) can feed the large market teams and competitive SMTs for prospects and picks.

Luckily the NFL is a league of parity and isn’t plagued the the inequities of MLB. If the trade deadline were to be moved back there would be a handful more trades as more teams would be throwing in the towel on that season, but it wouldn’t look like the MLB. Maybe a half dozen more trades would happen this season if it were moved back to week 10 or 11. Kareem Hunt, Jerry Jeudy, Brandon Cooks and a few others would probably get moved. It’d probably be a slight positive for the league since it would shore up some playoff teams and only negatively impact teams that were out of the running anyway.

11 hours ago, DC Greg said:

Agree with this. NFL doesn't need to turn into the NBA any more than it already has. I don't understand how anyone can even stick with a team in the NBA at this point. The jersey the players are wearing means nothing.

Another reason I love my Golden St Warriors.  Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala have all been with the team for 10 years.  Other drafted players have been there for a few years. The bottom of their roster may change from year to year but the core has been the same and they’ve won 4 titles.

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. The risk is more fire sales which means less competitive games down the stretch. Take Indy this year as an example... they beat Kansas City early. But they are not a great team get to week 10 they are 3-6-1 the season is done, the coach and GM suspect they are out after the year... they trade a couple of Leonard, Pittman, Taylor and Nelson... what does it matter? Then another contender, say the Chargers for the sake of argument (not sure they are a true contender but stay with me) play a seriously weaker Colts team down the road. 

I don't like it. Maybe in reality it wouldn't come to pass but I don't want to create a situation where it could. Keep the deadline after week 8. It is perfect where it is.

you could say that in all pro sports.

in baseball the deadline is around 33% left in a season

for hockey and basketball is about 23% of the season left

in football it’s >>59% of the season left

football, unlike other sports, trading is much harder because in general the league is not plug and play with individuals.  It’s more with system fits and some players are great in one style but suck in another.  On defense it’s 3-4 v 4-3 style of defense where players aren’t 8nterchangeablein generall.

in other sports the schedules are unbalanced where teams run into the luck of getting to play a team when they aren’t hot/ at it’s best for various reasons 

in Baseball, hockey, and basketball teams have prospects in their system beyond the roster you see.  These can be traded. In football if they sell too many that won’t be able to field a team

5 hours ago, djp14150 said:

you could say that in all pro sports.

in baseball the deadline is around 33% left in a season

for hockey and basketball is about 23% of the season left

in football it’s >>59% of the season left

football, unlike other sports, trading is much harder because in general the league is not plug and play with individuals.  It’s more with system fits and some players are great in one style but suck in another.  On defense it’s 3-4 v 4-3 style of defense where players aren’t 8nterchangeablein generall.

in other sports the schedules are unbalanced where teams run into the luck of getting to play a team when they aren’t hot/ at it’s best for various reasons 

in Baseball, hockey, and basketball teams have prospects in their system beyond the roster you see.  These can be traded. In football if they sell too many that won’t be able to field a team

I don't really care what the other US sports do. I don't want it in football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.