Do you see the Josh Allen era Bills as having a "window"?

Success

If it happens just 1 year, the window closes.  It won't matter after that

10 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I think we are  in the window and will be for a while. We should've won our first SB last season.  We were 13 seconds away from beating KC three games in a row 

Except it was after 1 regular season game,a divisional playoff game, and a regular season game

Allen is the truth. He is undoubtedly a top 3 QB in this league, and #1 in my opinion. As long as you have a guy like that, you have a shot to win it all every year. Outside of the Pats run, where they won 6 Championships in 2 decades, stuff like that never generally happens. Some teams may get a couple or three in a single Era, but not the Pats type of success. The health of your star players is a huge deciding factor as well. If we get one, just one SB, I will be happy. Anything after that is a plus. I do think if we win one, we could very well end up winning 3 though. The way this team is built, and the core of relatively young guys we have, makes it very possible. We shall see. I hope that one SB is finally this year, but a lot of football left to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve reached an age where I make an effort to enjoy every moment of a team’s success. Good teams can turn sour overnight and then it’s gone. Of course expectations change, but unlike many “important” things in our lives, we have no control over the outcome of our teams. May as well sit back and enjoy what we have in the moment. 

I can’t get caught up in the Bills “window” because it’s unknowable. But I do take a great comfort in the belief that if Pegula, Beane, McDermott and Allen are around, the Bills will have a good shot every season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There is no window.  I am sure every NFL GM/Coach combination feels the same way, but Beane and McDermott seem uniquely able to build, develop and structure players and contracts so that we can remain competitive all the time.  I believe they would have found a way to be in the hunt even if we missed on Josh.  But we didn't miss on Josh, they hit it out of the park.  For a decade, sky is the limit.  If Beane and McDermott still want to be doing this long in the future, I have every confidence they will identify and obtain a quarterback that will put us right back in the hunt.  Though I doubt we will ever see another one quite like Josh in my lifetime. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

The window is this year. Josh's cap hit goes from $16 million to $39 million next year. That means we will need to shed cap space in the form of letting someone go (Poyer?) or simply not extending good players coming off rookie deals. Ultimately, this will result in the Bills being more frugal and not being able to make many splashy FA moves.

The Bills will shift to a team that looks to fill holes through cost efficient late and mid round picks. 

Now, it's not to say that they can't win a super bowl like this, but it's sure as ***** a hell of a lot harder.  The Bills will need Josh to shift to a Brady-style below market value contract if they want to be perennial winners.

Edited by Fingon
  • Agree 1

Championship Longevity is always the assumption of a sports team’s fan base.

The reason that it is rare today is a combination of obvious factors- $, injury, team chemistry, constant lineup additions rather than subtractions, divas who believe they are the ‘I’ in Team, ‘13 second’ HCing decisions, etc.

It is very tough to win an NFL Championship!

It is soooo much tougher to repeat!

When you get you’re opportunity, seize that brass ring!

If not, ask Dan Marino.

As of now, there has never been an NFL quarterback with Josh’s combined running and passing ability.  At some point, Josh will start to decline as a running threat, but will remain an elite QB for years after that.  I’d say the next 3-4 seasons is the Bills’ window with peak Josh Allen, but their Super Bowl window will remain open for many years after that, with a somewhat less dynamic, but still elite, JA.

11 hours ago, mrags said:

Pretty much every other franchise in football could assume that. 

There have been multiple teams which have won Superbowls which with backup QBs.

I believe Beane will need to find a candidate to groom to which can be our Reich, someone who can step in and win a game if Josh is dinged and is out part of a game or a game.  Maybe even get trade when backup has had value enhanced by experience with Bills.  The Pegulas have been willing to spend what is needed and they can sign a former player to take the role of confidant and extra head in QB room. 

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There have been multiple teams which have won Superbowls which with backup QBs.

I believe Beane will need to find a candidate to groom to which can be our Reich, someone who can step in and win a game if Josh is dinged and is out part of a game or a game.  Maybe even get trade when backup has had value enhanced by experience with Bills.  The Pegulas have been willing to spend what is needed and they can sign a former player to take the role of confidant and extra head in QB room. 

Name two backup QBs right now who are better than Case Keenum.

1 hour ago, Fingon said:

The window is this year. Josh's cap hit goes from $16 million to $39 million next year. That means we will need to shed cap space in the form of letting someone go (Poyer?) or simply not extending good players coming off rookie deals. Ultimately, this will result in the Bills being more frugal and not being able to make many splashy FA moves.

The Bills will shift to a team that looks to fill holes through cost efficient late and mid round picks. 

Now, it's not to say that they can't win a super bowl like this, but it's sure as ***** a hell of a lot harder.  The Bills will need Josh to shift to a Brady-style below market value contract if they want to be perennial winners.

This is a post made looking at Buffalo in a vacuum. 

Yes, we likely lose Poyer this off-season.   Buffalo will have to backfill positions like both Safety spots, in the next year or two with draft picks. 

However:

Beane is obsessive in not just building a team that can win this year, but creating a machine that can win year after year.  

Future dead money is in line with what average teams carry year to year.   Beane will obviously have to continue drafting well. 

Look at how we’ve built this thing with no massive guaranteed contracts, outside Josh, past ‘24.  Everyone who has guaranteed money on this team is playing at a high level, and - knock on wood - looks like they’ll do so for the entirety of their guaranteed contract. 

Beane has built this team without trading away tons of picks.  Unlike many other contenders, we still have all future picks, plus next years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (at worst if we keep Hines). 

Yes, JA’s contract kicks in.  Mahomes just kicked in this year.  Already Allen and Mahomes look like steals.  Now, what about other AFC contenders…

Cincy - Burrow

LAC - Herbert

Baltimore - Jackson

Cleveland - Watson

Miami - Tua

All those teams have gone heavy in currently due to another couple years before they have to deal with cap hits.  Those cap hits are coming, and (outside maybe Tua) they’re going to be worse than what the Bills and Chiefs have on the books for a good while. 

Edited by SCBills

I care the most about a Super Bowl win. I love this team, but am tired of "close but no cigar". That is my number one dream.  Having it last a decade or more would be my number two dream. It would be a little empty without the Trophy. Last championship I celebrated was AFL!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Josh is the window.  There's a chance he ends up on the Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks before it's all said and done. And if that's the case, you're looking at three or more Super Bowl championships.

It is hard to win in the NFL.   Rodgers has one championship...Rothlisberger won two.  Eli had two.  FA, Salary Cap and Draft order ensures parity in NFL

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. I’ve told this story before…I talked to Don Shula in an airport many years ago (we sat there for about twenty minutes). He was super nice. And when I told him I was a Bills fan I was shocked he didn’t mention all the years they beat us. Instead, what he remembered was having Dan Marino as his QB for all those later years and never making it back to the Super Bowl after his rookie season because they had to get through the Bills. 

As others have said…just enjoy THIS  season. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Success said:

Just curious what others think - because I see that all the time on opposing fans message boards, and I don't relate to it.

I think the window will be WIDE open as long as JA is QB, and Beane is GM.  I don't need any more proof from either. JA is elite, and Beane seems like a wizard w/ the cap, who knows how to build an A1 team for today, and also keep an eye on building a model for success that's sustainable.  We'll lose players like all great teams do, but he is a very good drafter, finds gems in FA, and has a real vision for keeping this team in contention.

I think we'll be knocking on the door for a title every year for at least a decade.  I tend to lean homer, but I also think this is objective based on how good these guys are at their jobs.

What say you?

I'm with you. Unless Josh really has some kind of physical regression and just can't do the things he can do now, we'll be competitive every year. He's that good.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. I’ve told this story before…I talked to Don Shula in an airport many years ago (we sat there for about twenty minutes). He was super nice. And when I told him I was a Bills fan I was shocked he didn’t mention all the years they beat us. Instead, what he remembered was having Dan Marino as his QB for all those later years and never making it back to the Super Bowl after his rookie season because they had to get through the Bills. 

As others have said…just enjoy THIS  season. 

I hear you. Fair enough.

But Beane is much better than Miami's GM all those years.

And me personally, I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the hell out of this season while speculating about the future at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I hear you. Fair enough.

But Beane is much better than Miami's GM all those years.

And me personally, I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the hell out of this season while speculating about the future at the same time.

So now we have to start a thread about whether Beane is going to still be here in ten years? 😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.