RIP:Former Washington DT Dave Butz

Greg S

a true pro - part of the great Redskins team under coach Gibbs: from wiki (not mentioned - his son would carry his huge helmet off the field for home games)...

the term legend applies:

George Allen gave the Cardinals two first-round draft picks and a second-rounder for the right to Butz.[4] In 1975 Butz was granted free agency due to a mistake in his contract that he signed as a rookie in 1973. Allen quickly signed him, but the NFL ruled that the Redskins had to pay the Cardinals 2 first-round picks (1977 & 1978) and a second-round pick (1979).[5]

Butz then played for the Washington Redskins for 14 years, where he had three Super Bowl appearances. He ranks third in franchise history in sacks (59.5).[4] He was a one-time Pro Bowler in 1983 in a season in which he got eleven sacks, a career-best.[6] He only missed four games in his entire 16-year career.[1] Butz was among the largest players in the NFL when he played standing 6'8" and routinely weighing around 300 pounds.[7]

At the victory parade following the Redskins win in Super Bowl XXII, Butz famously shouted to the crowd, "We came, we saw, we kicked their butz."[8]

In October 1987, Butz famously checked himself out of the hospital to play in the Redskins' game against the New York Jets. Despite having dropped from 313 to 287 pounds due to the illness and feeling dizzy in the second half, Butz made a game-saving sack of Ken O'Brien to stop a Jets' drive late in the game and was awarded the game ball. After the game, he checked himself back into the hospital where he remained until the following Wednesday.[9][10]

Butz announced his retirement from the NFL at age 38 in May 1989. He appeared in 216 NFL games, 191 as a starter, from 1973 to 1988.[11] He tallied 64 sacks in his career.[12] When he retired, he was the oldest starting player in the NFL.[13]

Butz was selected to the NFL 1980s All-Decade Team and was named one of the 70 Greatest Redskins.[14]

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

This guy is from the era when I first starting watching NFL…

Part of a really famous line.. blocking for John Riggins…

RIP…

Butz was a Def. Tackle.  You talking about the "Hogs" Off. line?

Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm, Ken Huff...an excellent OL.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t remember him but he was the first athlete autograph I ever had.  My mom was going to school at Western Maryland College for some teaching certification and he was kind enough to give her an autograph.  Who knows where it went but she said he was very nice to her and went out of his way to do autographs for myself and both my brothers. 

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Butz was a Def. Tackle.  You talking about the "Hogs" Off. line?

Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm, Ken Huff...an excellent OL.

close but not quite...having lived thru that in NoVA and the Bills super bowl loss over and over...

Russ Grimm G, Joe Jacoby OT , Mark May G, Jeff Bostic c, and George Starke OT...Joe bugel OL coach - became head coach of Cardinals....Grimm became an OL coach with Steelers and made the hall of fame..and was rumored to have interviewed for Bills job during the drought...Jacoby is still a hall semi-finalist...May refused to sign autographs according to friends and was an espn analyst in the past

Ken Huff ??? well Sam Huff was NFL legend who was part of long-time skins broadcast crew of Adolph Jurgenson and F Herzog

11 hours ago, Nitro said:

He was a load to handle.  DT who could disrupt the offense.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Largest head in the NFL when he was playing.  His helmet was basically a trash can.

10 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

Despite having dropped from 313 to 287 pounds due to the illness and feeling dizzy in the second half, Butz made a game-saving sack of Ken O'Brien to stop a Jets' drive late in the game and was awarded the game ball.

I liked big Butz and I cannot lie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.