Wise Words from the "Conehead"

ddaryl

27 minutes ago, eball said:

I’m curious.  Why your distaste?  And mind you, I played soccer all the way through high school so I know the game well.  Comparing the two, hockey is infinitely more exciting and requires/showcases greater skill.

Soccer is only the “world’s most popular sport” because all it requires is a ball and a field.

I played through college till I tore my ACL, coached for years had two daughters play at a high level and I tend to agree. Soccer takes skill, but few sports are more exciting than a playoff hockey game when viewed live.

Edited by Meatloaf63
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

No way man. You’re nuts!

Hockey is one of the most exciting sports to watch, especially good playoff hockey. It’s so high paced, with constant change of possession.

And physical. Is there anything better than a big open ice hit? Much higher scoring in this era too. So many exciting young players to watch.

Unfortunately the whole CTE issue has hindered hockey's physicality much worse than football. Even a clean big hit leads to a fight and you never know who'll be suspended because the of the DoPS' infamous Wheel of Justice. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, CSBill said:

The first New Years Day outdoor game at the Ralph was a classic. With the snow and overtime, it ended up being everything and more that the NHL could want. I don’t think any since then have matched the scene of that day. Was that the high water moment of hockey in Buffalo?

I was in San Antonio at the time. The next work-day, a coworker said to me, "Wow, that game was awesome. From pregame to the end, Buffalo knocked that one out of the park."

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2022 at 3:51 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I think you need to watch some Sabres games from the mid 90s - the early 2000s. With Hasek in net and Rick Jeanneret on the play by play. That's the time period that sticks out for me. IMO RJ was one of the best play by play guys in any sport. 

He had so many catch phrases and memorable calls. A few of my favorites

He shoots, he scooooooores!! Top shelf where momma hides the cookies!

La-la-la-la-la-la-LaFontaine!

Call a cop, he robbed him blind!

May Day!

We're going back to where Jimmy Hoffa is!

More cheap shots than a Mexican Cantina!

Man, I loved that dude.

A playoff OT game where he seemed to carry the note of scoooooores as long as was humanly possible.  Then there was a couple seconds of silence (catch his breath?).

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Jesus, I remember my Dad buying beer from him at the War Memorial for Bisons game. 

“Buy a warm one from me, the next ones free!”

The Conehead guarantee. 

He’s 100% correct. I get the same feeling every week watching the Bills with my son. The Glory Years have returned, and it’s sweet as honey. 

Love conehead. However...

I once did indeed get a warm beer from him and the next wasn't free.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.