Wise Words from the "Conehead"

ddaryl

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cos hockey sucks?

I enjoy watching the Sabres in person once in a while, it's the thing to do in Buffalo. But on TV hockey mostly bores me. I think I'm an unusual sports fan because I am obsessed with football but don't care about any other sport. I went to a Bandits (local pro lacrosse team) game a couple years ago and was bored out of my mind.

EDIT: I'll add that I only care about pro football. College football also bores me, I only pay attention to it as it pertains to the draft.

Edited by HappyDays

16 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

The early to mid-1970s were a great time to be a kid in Buffalo.  The Bills, Sabres and Braves were all really good, full of great personalities and had success.  Sal Maiorana wrote a book about it:

https://www.amazon.com/When-Buffalo-Atop-Sports-World/dp/B085K6R2TR/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3TUHUQX1SPFZ3&keywords=sal+maiorana+books&qid=1667509215&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=sal+mai%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1

Some of us are still around who remember...and who actually went to the games, to know how good Bob McAdoo was.

Spoiled time for us.  OJ's 2,000 and league mvp in 73, Sabres in the finals in 74-75, Mc MVP in 75.

Good stuff.  Good memories.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On a serious note, while I don't enjoy hockey and I don't really care about the Sabres it is nice for them and for those of you that are Buffalonians and support both teams to see them get off to a decent start. I believe they are now "doing a Bills" and are in possession of the longest playoff drought in the NHL, correct? 

13 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Surprised to see the hate for hockey.  Guessing GunnerBill has never been to a game in person.  It's the best live sports viewing experience of them all, in my opinion.  And this is coming from someone who never played more than after school street and pond hockey as a kid.

I agree..Hockey in the Arean is better than Football at the stadium IMO. The tailgating and gameday festivities of football are superior but the actually watching the game live Hockey is better.

Football I prefer to watch on TV I can see more, where at the stadium I can't make out much of details, and with DVR I can analyze a foot ball play>>>Watching hockey on TV is tougher because you have forced focus of camera angles. At the Arena you can see a play develop which is usually outside the cameras focus.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On a serious note, while I don't enjoy hockey and I don't really care about the Sabres it is nice for them and for those of you that are Buffalonians and support both teams to see them get off to a decent start. I believe they are now "doing a Bills" and are in possession of the longest playoff drought in the NHL, correct? 

Correct.  2nd-longest active drought in the four major professional sports, too, I believe.

I went through my prime sports consumption period as a kid from the late 80s and most of the 90s...

It was so good back then.  The Bills were always in the conversation for the Superbowl.  The Sabres were actually a star-studded team before Hasek (I remember in like 1992, were the Hockey Digest pick to win the cup)... but just were stuck in a division of death.  Then the Hasek years.

It seemed like it was just how it was supposed to be and would last forever.  I remember Ralph Wilson quoted one time in that period, advising people to enjoy it because it wont last.  

We all know about the Bills drought.  The Sabres have won 4 playoff series since 2001 (in the span of 2 seasons), and have only qualified 4x (and not in 11 years).  If the Sabres can get going.... this will be awesome, as I believe the Bills are built for the mid and long term as well.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. Hockey sucks.

I’m curious.  Why your distaste?  And mind you, I played soccer all the way through high school so I know the game well.  Comparing the two, hockey is infinitely more exciting and requires/showcases greater skill.

Soccer is only the “world’s most popular sport” because all it requires is a ball and a field.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, eball said:

I’m curious.  Why your distaste?  And mind you, I played soccer all the way through high school so I know the game well.  Comparing the two, hockey is infinitely more exciting and requires/showcases greater skill.

Soccer is only the “world’s most popular sport” because all it requires is a ball and a field.

Nah, you are entitled to be wrong, but you're wrong. 

My distaste with hockey has nothing to do with soccer though. I just find it insanely boring. As I do baseball. I have tried with both. Just think they suck.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah, you are entitled to be wrong, but you're wrong. 

My distaste with hockey has nothing to do with soccer though. I just find it insanely boring. As I do baseball. I have tried with both. Just think they suck.

You are also entitled to your opinion, but it’s curious.

Give me the choice of watching (live) a football game, hockey game, basketball game, baseball game, or soccer “match” and hockey finishes no lower than 2nd on the list.  Soccer might beat out baseball but that’s it.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.