Brandon Beane on SiriusXM NFL Radio Movin' the Chains yesterday (11/2/2022)

chongli

Brandon Beane appeared on Movin' The Chains with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on SiriusXM NFL Radio yesterday. I don't know if there is a link I can post since it is a subscription service. This is a summary of much of what he said (I am paraphrasing):

1. He doesn't think the trade deadline should be pushed back two weeks to the Monday before Thanksgiving like Kirwan and Miller believe. The reason is this would encourage teams to tank as they would know they could unload their guys later in the season for a bunch of picks. He also said he does not want an average team going shopping late and then becoming competitive with stacked teams who have done their work all year long. He said he agreed though it would be great for fans and the media if the deadline were extended.

2. Gabe Davis is one of the hardest workers he knows. He almost trains too hard. He got sent a video by one of the trainers he knows saying "your guy [Davis] is working out on Independence Day!". He worked very hard in the off-season, especially in the five weeks between mini-camp and training camp, and you could see the results. Beane told him he needs to take a day off once in a while.

3. He will advocate in the league meetings at the end of the season that the active roster be increased to at least 50. Nowadays, players are being ruled out very quickly due to concussions and ataxia. They learned a lot form the COVID years. At the Miami game, they were down to only four offensive linemen at the end of the game. Tommy Doyle played the last four or five plays on a bad ACL since he knew there were no other options. Beane had never seen anything like it, with so many players ruled out because of dehydration. He was never prouder of his guys, even though they lost. He saw they gave it their all.

At the very least, he wants a rule like the old emergency third QB rule (which was in place in the 90's), where a player dresses but is inactive, and can become active mid-game only if a player is ruled out and has to stay out.

Some teams objected in the past to this because with an expanded roster some teams would be able to field more players than others. But Beane said nowadays everyone has a huge PS, so that shouldn't matter.

4. He is thrilled with Marlowe's acquisition. He knew him from the Carolina years, and he is a hard worker who already knows McD's and Frazier's system. [He also said something positive about Hines, but I forgot what he said.]

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 21

• chongli changed the title to Brandon Beane on SiriusXM NFL Radio Movin' the Chains yesterday (11/2/2022)
35 minutes ago, gjv said:

One of these days Beane is going to get the Bills a RB that opposing defenses will have to game-plan for. Talk about an unstoppable force. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO, as long as the team is constructed to be a "pass first" team I don't think we will ever get that dominant running back of which you speak. Josh is that guy who opposing teams have to account for as the "running back" who will spoil your day when a play breaks down (I just wish they'd cut down on the designed QB runs with the exception of an occasional QB sneak when appropriate).

I saw a meme somewhere, and I'm just too lazy to look it up to see if it's true, that the Bills are the only team in the NFL that has gained 100+ yards on the ground in every game this season. If that is in fact true, our running game is just fine.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

IMHO, as long as the team is constructed to be a "pass first" team I don't think we will ever get that dominant running back of which you speak. Josh is that guy who opposing teams have to account for as the "running back" who will spoil your day when a play breaks down (I just wish they'd cut down on the designed QB runs with the exception of an occasional QB sneak when appropriate).

I saw a meme somewhere, and I'm just too lazy to look it up to see if it's true, that the Bills are the only team in the NFL that has gained 100+ yards on the ground in every game this season. If that is in fact true, our running game is just fine.

It's not that difficult. Do a little research and see how many RB's, that fit what I'm speaking about are drafted in rounds two through five. I think Beane will do it. GO BILLS!!!

• Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, gjv said:

It's not that difficult. Do a little research and see how many RB's, that fit what I'm speaking about are drafted in rounds two through five. I think Beane will do it. GO BILLS!!!

I don't think it's the quality of running back, I think it's more of the way the team uses their running back corps. As long as each individual running back only gets a hand full of carries per game, and as long as the team values a receiving running back as much as they do, I don't think a running back will be able to "showcase" his talent as a potential bell cow kind of guy.

They have built the team around Allen's strengths, and every time he hands the ball off to a running back, he reduces the number of times he can pass the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, gjv said:

One of these days Beane is going to get the Bills a RB that opposing defenses will have to game-plan for. Talk about an unstoppable force. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Teams will take Singletary doing what he does all day long. Someone nationally - can't remember who - basically said the same thing recently.

Hines is obviously not McCaffrey or Barkley, but at least adds a speed element as well as versatility (much more reliably than McKenzie, whose mistakes are starting to outweigh his benefit). Hines can also operate more naturally out of the backfield. So all in all, while he's not going to keep D-coordinators awake at night, it was a good pickup.

19 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

I don't think it's the quality of running back, I think it's more of the way the team uses their running back corps. As long as each individual running back only gets a hand full of carries per game, and as long as the team values a receiving running back as much as they do, I don't think a running back will be able to "showcase" his talent as a potential bell cow kind of guy.

They have built the team around Allen's strengths, and every time he hands the ball off to a running back, he reduces the number of times he can pass the ball.

Think a minute. You are not deleting any of Allen's strengths. You are adding an additional strong component to the offense that opposing defenses have to game plan for. It enhances Allen.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Free Speech said:

Exactly. Teams will take Singletary doing what he does all day long. Someone nationally - can't remember who - basically said the same thing recently.

Hines is obviously not McCaffrey or Barkley, but at least adds a speed element as well as versatility (much more reliably than McKenzie, whose mistakes are starting to outweigh his benefit). Hines can also operate more naturally out of the backfield. So all in all, while he's not going to keep D-coordinators awake at night, it was a good pickup.

OK good that you brought up Barkley and McCaffrey, because they are the ONLY two running backs with an average yards per carry better than Singletary.

Singletary has 4.5 YPC on 71 attempts

Barkley has 4.8 YPC on 163 attempts (which equates to 10.8 inches per attempt better than Singletary)

McCaffrey has 4.7 YPC on 111 attempts (which equates to 7.2 inches per attempt better than Singletary)

All the other running backs have equal to or less YPC than Singletary.

Are you willing to give Singletary the "workload" equal to those backs to see if he can equal or better their YPC (keeping in mind for every run play is one less passing play) 

18 minutes ago, gjv said:

Think a minute. You are not deleting any of Allen's strengths. You are adding an additional strong component to the offense that opposing defenses have to game plan for. It enhances Allen.

I have thought a minute, to have a bell cow running back, you have to give him touches.

Henry 166 carries

Barkley 163 carries

McCaffrey 111 carries

Taylor 107 carries

Kamara 95 carries

Singletary 71 carries

Who knows how much better (or worse) Singletary would be if the Bills doubled his carries.

As far as deleting Allen's strengths, for every carry you give to the running back you have to take away a passing play.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

I have thought a minute, to have a bell cow running back, you have to give him touches.

Henry 166 carries

Barkley 163 carries

McCaffrey 111 carries

Taylor 107 carries

Kamara 95 carries

Singletary 71 carries

Who knows how much better (or worse) Singletary would be if the Bills doubled his carries.

As far as deleting Allen's strengths, for every carry you give to the running back you have to take away a passing play.

I don't know why people think we need to do this archaic thing like run the football.  Rams were ok at it, and the Chiefs were not a running team much at all when they won.  RB is a commodoty piece for great teams.  Great RB's only make teams good.  

7 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

I don't know why people think we need to do this archaic thing like run the football.  Rams were ok at it, and the Chiefs were not a running team much at all when they won.  RB is a commodoty piece for great teams.  Great RB's only make teams good.  

I'm not quite sure I go as far as agreeing with that. I think a good running game is essential to a balanced team, and team balance is essential for a great team. There are just different ways to achieve a good running game. The Bills have Josh, who the opposing DC has to account for in preventing him from running, and we have a running back who has the third highest YPC in the league (among running backs with any significant of carries) with limited opportunities. That's just the way the team is built and it's fine with me. I'm not the type to try and find fault where none exists just so I can B word about it. 

38 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

Henry 166 carries

Barkley 163 carries

McCaffrey 111 carries

Taylor 107 carries

Kamara 95 carries

Singletary 71 carries

Ok, I give up. Let's not bring in an RB for which opposing defenses have to game plan for.  It's better to keep the level of our RB" just adequate so not to introduce an additional threat to defenses. Let's all hope Josh doesn't ever miss a game.

48 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Can’t believe Doyle played on a torn ACL. I’m surprised they didn’t plug a TE in there at that point. If I were Doyle, I’d be kinda shocked if they asked me to go back in. Speaks to the dedication of these guys

I don’t think they asked him to go back in.  McD would never do that.

McD said after the game they had no idea he had torn his ACL.

I think Doyle got hurt and knew he was the last OLman and he just gutted himself through it.

I don’t even know if Doyle knew it was ACL - just that he hurt his knee, but was needed and so he kept going.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, gjv said:

Ok, I give up. Let's not bring in an RB for which opposing defenses have to game plan for.  It's better to keep the level of our RB" just adequate so not to introduce an additional threat to defenses. Let's all hope Josh doesn't ever miss a game.

Who would you rather have .... pick a running back any running back.

3 hours ago, Gen2 said:

Due to Josh some defenses need to leave a big hole in middle of field which is something Josh exploits greatly on his runs.

Biggest issue is player being willing to take cheap shot on Josh even if penalized/fined/suspended because player is confident that team will reward him.

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Oooohh! Can I play?  I’ll take Barry Sanders for $100 Jack. 

I'd rather have Thurman.  Barry Sanders had far too many negative plays.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.