Bill sign WR Isaiah Coulter to PS

MAJBobby

9 minutes ago, T master said:

Why did they let Hogins go in the first place after all the time they have invested in him & when ever he has been on the field he has produced maybe not a lot but when you have all the other weapons out there there's not a lot he can do but catch what little is thrown his way .

Who else are you cutting from the 53 to make room for White, Marlow and Hines?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So much for the failed Hodgins experiment.  Thanks a lot, Beane!

Just kidding, and glad the young man signed on to be up on the squad.  Congrats to him.

Two things, though, it is a little frustrating just in the sense that we worked him up and yes we don't have toe space right now, but he is going to give that skill to another team.  Petty, I know, but still.

The other thing is, I love Dabol...but he is starting to get on my nerves.  Develop your own talent, joker.  😁

BTW, I am not really listening to the "we did that with Carolina" thing.  On the field what long term talent did we get from them?

Benjamin?

Star?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

We have our Hodgins replacement.  Similar in height and length.  Opposite in athleticism. Coulter is a high upside low floor WR that needs lots of work on everything other than his physical attributes.  Doesn’t seem like a guy that can help us this year if needed.  More like a guy that we should invest some time into to see if he can improve.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-coulter/3200434f-5516-0662-8b6d-a1ee4723ab0a

GEEZ! He SUCKS! ^

21 minutes ago, T master said:

Hodgins was on the PS i thought then they sign this guy to the PS that's what i'm not getting .

After the rash of WR injuries, Hodgins had been promoted to the 53-man roster.  To get him back on the PS, he had to be waived, go unclaimed, then re-signed to the PS by the Bills.  I suspect that was the plan.  The Giants foiled the plan by putting in a waiver claim for Hodgins and picking him up.  Thus, the Bills had to go with Plan B, which is signing Coulter.  The disadvantage of Coulter is that he is very raw and doesn't know the system, so Hodgins was more valuable to the team right now.  The advantage of Coulter is that he has similar size to Hodgins, with more athleticism, so in the long run, with some good coaching, he may end up being the more valuable player to the team.  If the team avoids further WR injuries this season, then the move is a net plus for the team (and conversely, if they have injuries and need someone to play in the next couple of weeks, it's a net minus, and it's Gentry time).

Edited by msw2112
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

At least more of an outside guy. Hodgins for all his size is really a big slot type prospect in the NFL. Coulter was an intriguing late round speed/size project coming out of a small school in the 2020 draft. He has barely had a shot in the NFL but the Bills are obviously willing to gamble that two and a half years on the raw ingredients remain. His two NFL stops have been Houston in the Bill O'Brien firing year (with covid and no pre-season) and the Bears... so hardly stable organisations. 

He is probably in the last chance saloon as far as an NFL career goes so he should at least be motivated and the Bills coaching staff will unquestionably be the best coaching he has ever been around. So here's hoping. 

Do those two stops even count as NFL experience? 

17 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Do those two stops even count as NFL experience? 

Ha. Good question. I don't know if he has actually played at all? I haven't checked but if he has it is special teams and a handful of snaps at best. The receivers coach at Chicago last year is now the Head Football Coach at Limestone University.... whatever that means. His receivers coach at Houston has just been demoted from the Offensive Coordinator position at Sam Houston State after 5 games in the job. So yea... it might be fair to say they were not the right guys to unlock whatever potential exists!

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, T master said:

Why did they let Hogins go in the first place after all the time they have invested in him & when ever he has been on the field he has produced maybe not a lot but when you have all the other weapons out there there's not a lot he can do but catch what little is thrown his way .

Giants picked him up

2 hours ago, T master said:

They had to cut someone from the 53 to activate Tre. I'm sure the plan was sign Hodgins back if he cleared waivers but the Giants pounced so the Bills moved on. 

He's not a real burner (sub 4.4 guy) but he has plenty of speed and athleticism to go with nice size.  He's not quite as big as Isaiah Hodgins.  His shortcomings coming out of college had a lot to do with execution.  He's had a couple years in the league now (Houston and Chicago practice squads mostly).  He was on the 53 man roster for Chicago this season for Chicago, cut when Chicago traded for Claypool.  If he's really dedicated, he can probably get a lot better with good coaching than he was coming out of college.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

So much for the failed Hodgins experiment.  Thanks a lot, Beane!

Just kidding, and glad the young man signed on to be up on the squad.  Congrats to him.

Two things, though, it is a little frustrating just in the sense that we worked him up and yes we don't have toe space right now, but he is going to give that skill to another team.  Petty, I know, but still.

The other thing is, I love Dabol...but he is starting to get on my nerves.  Develop your own talent, joker.  😁

BTW, I am not really listening to the "we did that with Carolina" thing.  On the field what long term talent did we get from them?

Benjamin?

Star?

Hodgins is also fully developed and that is a fringe 53 player with questionable separation ability. So instead have the same physical profile as Hodgins with much more athleticism to work with. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.