Blitz: your thoughts ?

Italian Bills

The longer Wilson holds the ball, the worse his completion percentage and QB rating. He has a problem moving off his first read and working through progressions. Therefore, it may be more productive to rush four, blanket the field and force Wilson into poor decisions as the pocket collapses. 

Edited by Max Fischer
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

The longer Wilson holds the ball, the worse his completion percentage and QB rating. He has a problem moving off his first read and working through his progressions. Therefore, it may make more productive to rush four, blanket the field and force Wilson into poor decisions as the pocket collapses. 

He also has a really bad habit of running 15 yards backwards trying to escape the rush and tends to get sacked or throws up a lame duck 

People don't like it but modern NFL defense is to get pressure with a front 4.  And even more frustrating in 3rd and long to rush 3 and drop 8 in coverage.  It is the safest option to prevent big plays which is what this defense does well.  I think we all get caught up when the blitz works well and forget about the times when the opponent burns you.  Also there is other ways of getting pressure rushing four with stunts, overloads, and zone blitzes. 

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

As we all know we are one of the teams that blitz less. 

Don’t you think that vs the Jets we could change this and go for Wilson much more ? 

Could it be a good strategy ? 

Actually we are 7th in number of sacks (19) tied with the Chiefs and Commanders, Cowboys first with 29. 

The Bills don't blitz much because usually they can pressure the QB and get sacks without blitzing.

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

As we all know we are one of the teams that blitz less. 

Don’t you think that vs the Jets we could change this and go for Wilson much more ? 

Could it be a good strategy ? 

Actually we are 7th in number of sacks (19) tied with the Chiefs and Commanders, Cowboys first with 29. 

Why? With as much gap scheme stuff they do it'll hurt us vs the run more than help us vs the pass.

2 hours ago, Pags24 said:

I think they'll blitz more in this game for sure but nothing crazy.  Leslie has always dialed up more blitz calls against lower rated QBs

I wonder if Milano or Edmunds possibly being out will affect the number of  blitzes called

2 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Blitz more.  Blitz often.

I have to say, it's fun when we do, especially if they get home! 

But honestly, I say "stay pat" with rushing 4 and doing what we do best.

I'm expecting a lot of INTs this game!

From The Athletic today:

"[Zach] Wilson is 7-for-31 for 128 yards and three interceptions when pressured without a blitz."

The Bills defense is ranked 9th in the NFL at pressuring the opposing passer, and as we all know, they do it primarily with just the front four.

So if the Bills are very good at getting pressure without a blitz, and if Zach Wilson is VERY bad when facing pressure without a blitz....the Bills should not blitz.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Blitzing makes things easier on Wilson.  

No actually that is NOT true, it is the direct opposite, he is one of the worst when he gets blitzed.  Having said that, I wouldn't blitz UBNLESS we find ourselves behind late in the game.  Our front four will do well and as other have noted, he does poorly when he is pressured without a blitz which is exactly what the bills can provide.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.