Isaiah Hodgins claimed off waivers by Giants

Roundybout

14 minutes ago, 947 said:

The biggest issue the Giants have been having with WRs is understanding the playbook, with the option routes & nuances. They had reduced Kadarius Toney to WR6 coming into the season because he just couldn't get it.

Hodgins already knows Daboll's playbook, don't be surprised to see him get an immediate opportunity to play.

If its true that he didnt get Dabolls playbook then I doubt he is going to get Reids playbook either.

Big slot who struggles to separate but is a good locker room guy. We had a few of those types in 2017 too.

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

When did we waive him?  When T White was activated?

Kind of. Yesterday we made multiple moves... waived Bryant and Hodgins, traded Moss and replaced them with White, Hines and Marlow. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

If its true that he didnt get Dabolls playbook then I doubt he is going to get Reids playbook either.

Daboll's playbook is more complex for sure. The E-P requires more reading of defenses than the Reid spread style WCO.... it isn't learning the plays that is harder it is route adjustment based on reading the play. It is why New England struggles to draft receivers and why Diggs and Josh worked instantly. You need receivers who read the defense the same way your QB does. Much more mentally taxing on a WR.

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think there was an unspoken caveat there "if he clears waivers"

Just having a friendly dig at someone having a "bet each way"'...

Saying he is "likely to be back on PS" and then "saw the writing on the wall " that the Giants would pick him up are a little contradictory...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Daboll

3885659d-d7d3-4100-a57a-1fa820660fdf_tex

Fair is fair he never really got much of a shot here, hell we keep talking about bringing in OBJ.

How do you figure he never got much of a shot here?  The Bills kept him around through multiple injuries and kept giving him opportunities to make the roster as a contributing player.  He never rose to the occasion.  They very likely would have signed him back to the practice squad if he was not claimed, Giving him yet another opportunity. I wish him well with the Giants.  He has a better chance there as they have an inferior roster.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, FLFan said:

How do you figure he never got much of a shot here?  The Bills kept him around through multiple injuries and kept giving him opportunities to make the roster as a contributing player.  He never rose to the occasion.  They very likely would have signed him back to the practice squad if he was not claimed, Giving him yet another opportunity. I wish him well with the Giants.  He has a better chance there as they have an inferior roster.  

You literally said why, it was a crowded room.

Edited by Warcodered

9 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I liked his potential more than David Sills who we had here years ago. Sills has been a regular in that NYG WR rotation.

Sills has been terrible, but does have a catch in every Giants game this season. He's been playing largely out of necessity, he's the most likely one for Hodgins to get a shot over.

• Like (+1) 1

Hodgins is the poster child for this message board.  All the way from totally worthless to diamond in the rough.

The reality is he is somewhere between a priority PS call up and a potential WR5 who can take snaps outside or in the slot.

The Bills are a bit weaker not having him on the PS and the Giants are better having him on their 53.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Daboll's playbook is more complex for sure. The E-P requires more reading of defenses than the Reid spread style WCO.... it isn't learning the plays that is harder it is route adjustment based on reading the play. It is why New England struggles to draft receivers and why Diggs and Josh worked instantly. You need receivers who read the defense the same way your QB does. Much more mentally taxing on a WR.

I could be wrong, but I think the WCO as Reid and Bieniemy are currently running it also requires reading defenses and running route options based upon what the WR sees (and giving the QB "good body language" to help them understand what the WR is going to do).

Now, the bit about the complexity of the playbook could be true - Daboll was rumored to have a ridiculously thick playbook - but I'd bet Andy Reid's playbook is just as thick.

I think there was a time when what you say is true of WCO - a more rigid timing-based passing offense with precise routes timed to precise dropbacks - and for some teams perhaps it's true - but certainly Kelce is running option routes and Hill seemed to be.  My understanding is these days the top teams pretty much all run the same plays and route concepts, what's different is the terminology. 

It's like, one playbook describes plays in Portuguese, and the other describes essentially the same plays in Flemish.  So the Flemish speakers need to learn Portuguese and vice versa.

Under Shurmur, DeFilippo, and Stefanski I'm pretty sure the offense Minnesota ran was nominally a WCO, so I don't think coming from an E-P style offense was the reason Josh and Stef worked well, if that was your meaning.  I think they put in a lot of grind together.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.