Potentially good news for Bills long-term weather wise. Warmer temps, less snow predicted for WNY

Big Turk

Due to weak La Nina conditions in the third year...typically gives us warmer temps and less snowfall(although this doesn't mean a single day or stretch of time can't be cold and snowy, just usually reduces the odds).

Hoping we get a winter similar to a few years ago where it was in the 40s and 50s through much of December and into January and everyone was sitting around wondering WTF was going on. Believe we ended the season with 37 inches of snow which is well, well below normal and didn't even have a single foot+ snow event that year.

Long article breaking things down if anyone wants to read...also includes Europe forecast which is less important to this topic.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/winter-2022-2023-seasonal-snowfall-predictions-more-snow-latest-forecast-united-states-canada-europe-fa/

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

• Big Turk changed the title to Potentially good news for Bills long-term weather wise. Warmer temps, less snow predicted for WNY
3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How doesn't it?  Or are you claiming that weather doesn't have the ability to routinely negatively effect games for the Bills?  I seem to remember a Patriot game last year where that was a kind of important factor...along with several others where it likely effected our offensive numbers.

I guess the question is, How accurate are these sorts of long-range weather forecasts?  My guess is that they're not worth the bandwidth they're written on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, mannc said:

I guess the question is, How accurate are these sorts of long-range weather forecasts?  My guess is that they're not worth the bandwidth they're written on.

For any given day? Obviously not.  In general terms over the 3-4 month timeframe, usually pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but what's your basis for saying that?

I was a meteorology major for 2 years and still am highly interested in it and follow things?  Those forecasts are based on historical trends over long periods of time(like 100+ years) under the same type of La Nina conditions for places.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I was a meteorology major for 2 years and still am highly interested in it and follow things?

Fair enough.  I see forecasts like that all the time, but I rarely see any follow-up to see how the forecast actually turned out.  I would also assume that the accuracy of such forecasts varies considerably, depending which part of the world and what time of year you're talking about ...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I'm hoping for warmer weather, I'm coming out from Oregon for my first winter home game against the Jets!

Well then you gotta experience a crazy home snow game in Buffalo!

Unless of course you already have. Then yeah, I'd also prefer to avoid it😅

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.